WHats up with the lightbringer??

Charlie Hustle

2 hours ago, Joe Lyon Layden said:

Lightbringer is the ancestral sword of the Daynes, wielded by the Sword of the Morning. I wonder what Ned did with it?

Dawn is the sword of the Daynes.  It is not V Steel.  It was made from the metals recovered from a meteorite.  It is a 2 handed sword that has a milky almost opalescent appearance. It is generally regarded as the closest rival to V Steel in strength vs weight and performance.  Far superior to regular forged steel. 

After the death of  Arthur Dayne at the TOJ, Ned returned the blade to Starfall, the home of the Daynes, as a show of respect.

Soooo,  to the show producers: Arthur Dayne dual-weilding  pedestrian castle forged swords during his flashback fight with Ned and Howland made zero sense, like many other things I guess....

16 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

This right here.

Dany + Dragons = Lightbringer.

Jon will wield. 

You misunderstand me.  Jon is Lightbringer.  He will wield a flaming sword that he creates with his own blood, like Beric. 

Rhaegar was Azor Ahai.

Lyanna was Nissa Reborn.

Viewers are taking prophecies too literally.  Maybe. ;)

@Illiterati we did it again. Lol

3 hours ago, DigUpHerBones said:

I had hopes, in the show world, Beric was being used as a vessel to deliver LB to Jon and Jon would then turn Longclaw over to Jorah.

I don't think the flaming swords are that important.

I mean, they're very important symbolically—they symbolize magic returning to the world, and the red priests' invocations now doing what they were originally intended to; their usefulness in fighting wights points to the red priests having a part to play in the war against the dead; their being real flaming swords shows us how far Stannis's fake Lightbringer was from the real thing while also showing us that we're closer to the real thing being revealed; etc.

But practically, I don't think Beric's sword will serve any purpose beyond being Beric's sword and being good for fighting wights. It's not going to be revealed as Lightbringer or anything like that.

The only interesting question is whether you can fit Stannis's and Beric's swords into the first two attempts at Lightbringer. But I think it's a stretch. You could argue that Thoros's sword was tempered in a lion's heart in that he learned to do it with real magic only after he was sent to defeat the Lannister forces, but I'm not sure that works for Beric, and Stannis's being tempered in water is even more of a stretch, and even if they did match, there's not room for three failed attempts at Lightbringer, only two.

One big part of the legend I think people are forgetting:

AA forged Lightbringer in the heart of Nissa Nissa. But the AAR legend specifically says a warrior is going to draw a sword from the fire, and that sword will be Lightbringer returned, and that warrior will be AAR.

So why are we expecting AAR to forge a new Lightbringer in the same way AA did, instead of recovering it from a fire?

You could argue that Dany drew her dragons from a fire, or even her army (given the way she got the Dothraki khalasar on the show), so she could be AAR and one of them be Lightbringer. But neither Rhaegar nor Dany nor anyone else drew Jon from a fire. And nobody drew Dany from a fire. So it's hard to see how either of them could be Lightbringer returned (unless Dany is both AAR and LBR because she drew herself from the fire).

On 8/21/2017 at 0:31 PM, Charlie Hustle said:

Im going to assume that the sword is not as rare as predicted.. I thought that only Stannis had it.

Help me out..

Stannis had a fake.  Gendry will forge a new Lightbringer when he sticks a sword through Arya's chest.  I hope this is what happens.

1 hour ago, DigUpHerBones said:

seemed to be pretty important to end the first long night :dunno:

Lightbringer did. Fake flaming swords, and flaming swords set alight with wildfire, and even flaming swords set alight with blood sacrifice, were not.

5 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Lightbringer did. Fake flaming swords, and flaming swords set alight with wildfire, and even flaming swords set alight with blood sacrifice, were not.

You sure?  I mean, were talking about prophecy and fable here.  A 1000+ year old game of telephone can change a story about a dude making his sword burst into flame with blood magic, into a story about the last hero wielding a magic sword called Lightbringer. 

People assume Lightbringer is a sword because they expect it to be a sword.  Fantasy stories have magic swords. 

Those people are pulling a Melisandre.  

9 hours ago, Joe Lyon Layden said:

Lightbringer is the ancestral sword of the Daynes, wielded by the Sword of the Morning. I wonder what Ned did with it?

8 hours ago, DigUpHerBones said:

you are confusing Lightbringer with Dawn...

Maybe his is, maybe not.

Dawn = bringer of sun = bringer of light = Lightbringer

There are many hints that Dawn might be Lightbringer in the books. But it is not certain. It is probably buried in Lyanna's crypt.

21 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

You sure?  I mean, were talking about prophecy and fable here.  A 1000+ year old game of telephone can change a story about a dude making his sword burst into flame with blood magic, into a story about the last hero wielding a magic sword called Lightbringer. 

People assume Lightbringer is a sword because they expect it to be a sword.  Fantasy stories have magic swords. 

Those people are pulling a Melisandre.  

I can't tell whether you're arguing that Lightbringer is just a sword rather than something special, or that Lightbringer isn't a sword at all. Your first two paragraphs seem to be at cross purposes. So I'll take them separately.

Second one first. People aren't assuming it's a sword because fantasy stories have magic swords, they're assuming it's a sword because the actual legends in this story call it a sword, and describe all kinds of sword-like details, like how it was forged. It has to be something the ancient people in-universe would talk about using all that sword language. Which means either a sword, or something that works metaphorically. (And everyone accepts that it could be the latter—hence all the theories about, e.g., Jon being Lightbringer.)

For the first one, remember where this legend comes from. A Westerosi legend about the first proto-red-priest-warrior they'd ever seen using a Beric-style sword, sure, I could see that being elaborated into a sword made of flame over 8000 years. But Lightbringer isn't a Westerosi legend, it's a story from a 5000-year-old book from Asshai. That's around the time the red priesthood began to expand. It's also the time that Valyrians discovered dragons, which makes it sound like it was a high-magic point in general. So I think this is the same long-ago time where the red priests' rituals used to work that Thoros talked about. Which would mean lots of people have Beric-style flaming swords, and if one of them set off for a heroic quest to Westeros, his sword wouldn't be the thing everyone would remember and elaborate on. It would have to be something a lot more special.

Finally, while it's possible the whole prophecy is mostly bunk and there's nothing special about Lightbringer, it's kind of silly to assume that but then assume the other prophecy is absolutely true. If there's a special Azor Ahai reborn, he's probably going to have a unique Lightbringer returned; if there isn't a unique Lightbringer, there's probably no special Azor Ahai reborn.

6 hours ago, falcotron said:

But the AAR legend specifically says a warrior is going to draw a sword from the fire, and that sword will be Lightbringer returned, and that warrior will be AAR.

So Jon's wang is Lightbringer once he's pulled it out of Daenerys, and he's the wielding warrior of it. 

Lol. 

Archived