U.S. Politics: A Request to Address the Cleft on the Left

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

Right off the bat you lose the green vote. Trump's at least biodegradable (mostly).

I am not remotely convinced of that. I suspect whatever graveyard takes him will have to be dedicated as a superfund site.

On Bloomberg - to be clear, I don't care at all about the 'government as business' bullshit, though it's clear that there are a whole lot of very gullible people who do. I don't like his fiscal conservatism all that much either. However, he is a sane person who believes in government to get things done, especially socially, and he is someone who I think could plausibly piss off Trump and take out some of Trump's conservative voters as they could reasonably state they're voting for someone palatable. 

In a perfect world he'd try to primary Trump, but barring that (and I really don't think that's likely) him running Dem wouldn't be too bad.

Him running independent would be horrifying unless miraculously congress becomes Democratic, and I don't see that happening.

43 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Joe Kennedy III is really young, but maybe this is the time for a person to break the record for youngest-elected president

Another Kennedy? Is anyone else disturbed at the way the same families keep coming up with presidential candidates? The US isn't supposed to be a hereditary monarchy.

1 hour ago, felice said:

Another Kennedy? Is anyone else disturbed at the way the same families keep coming up with presidential candidates? The US isn't supposed to be a hereditary monarchy.

The US is also supposed to be against Royalty and nobility, but the way it idolizes celebrities, you'd have a hard time guessing that was the case

6 minutes ago, felice said:

It's not, it's more like an elective monarchy like the HRE.

It's another reason that a parliamentary monarchy is good - having a family that is there to appear royal, elegant, mannered, important but isn't actually the ruling factor is a GREAT way to diffuse the idea that the rulers have to not only be good rulers, but have to be really hot and nice and whatnot. 

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

The sad thing is that many of the more corporate-oriented democrats have done similar things. But again, it doesn't matter as Bloomberg will never get the nod.

Joe Kennedy III is really young, but maybe this is the time for a person to break the record for youngest-elected president, while beating the oldest-elected one. He's been fierce in standing up for progressive values and he is a good speaker, though not a great one.

Harris has the background, both in terms of personal history and legal history, plus the diversity angle. She is a half-black, half-Indian former attorney general who graduated from Howard University and represents California.

He is also possessed of negative charisma.

I don't think the constitutional monarchy bit is too important either way but I think the election of Trump is pretty clearly illustrating that having a head of state who's basically an elected 18th century king with a term limit isn't a good idea. It's better than an unelected 18th century king  but there are probably a few better options.

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I am not remotely convinced of that. I suspect whatever graveyard takes him will have to be dedicated as a superfund site.

On Bloomberg - to be clear, I don't care at all about the 'government as business' bullshit, though it's clear that there are a whole lot of very gullible people who do. I don't like his fiscal conservatism all that much either. However, he is a sane person who believes in government to get things done, especially socially, and he is someone who I think could plausibly piss off Trump and take out some of Trump's conservative voters as they could reasonably state they're voting for someone palatable. 

In a perfect world he'd try to primary Trump, but barring that (and I really don't think that's likely) him running Dem wouldn't be too bad.

Him running independent would be horrifying unless miraculously congress becomes Democratic, and I don't see that happening.

Watched these 2 guys' interactions for a very long time by now.  Bloomberg will / would never take on the orange mano a mano in an election.  Funding movements and research and campaign ads, yes, he has and will do that.  But not f2f.  That's just not how Bloomie works,  He'd never open himself to a f2f confrontation with that unhinged deranged boundrey-less entity.  It would make him sick.

16 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I don't think the constitutional monarchy bit is too important either way but I think the election of Trump is pretty clearly illustrating that having a head of state who's basically an elected 18th century king with a term limit isn't a good idea. It's better than an unelected 18th century king  but there are probably a few better options.

I'd take any of the first three Georges over Trump.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

I have no issues with Bloomberg's fiscal policy. What im saying is that the democratic establishment DOES.

Nah. The establishment would be the most receptive to Bloomberg. It's the activist base that will (and to some extent, do) hate his guts. 

Running Bloomberg is like running Hillary Clinton again, except way more centrist.

3 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Nah. The establishment would be the most receptive to Bloomberg. It's the activist base that will (and to some extent, do) hate his guts. 

Running Bloomberg is like running Hillary Clinton again, except way more centrist.

And richer.  And more powerful.

If Bloomie wantys to do something useful in terms of opo to the insane ones who are now in charge, he should fund a very large media conglomerate that hires and pays writer, thinkers, commentators on the scale that the other sides does.  That is the most effective and powerful thing that can be done -- and would help so much in changing the gerrymandering and other voter repression strategies.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

After George Bush the Lesser and Herr Drumpf, let's take a break from the "businessman President" shtick. The government does not run like a corporation.

Trump's attempts to do shit with the government, such as they are anyway, kinda illustrate this point super well.

He is utterly incapable of dealing with a situation where he has to, like, work with other people. It turns out being President is nothing like being CEO. There's a ton of people you have to deal with as President who don't owe you shit, who aren't really accountable to you and who you can't directly order or threaten.

4 minutes ago, Shryke said:

But the activist base is desperate to do what it takes to get rid of Trump. Which means nominating a centrist for the Dems backs them into a corner and pretty much forces them to vote for him/her. At this stage (which might change in 3 years) I would think the Left wing of the Democratic party would vote for a warmed up corpse Democrat over a charismatic Green. But the independent left may well be happy to see the whole edifice crumble with 4 more years of Trump.

What nominating a centrist who's name isn't Clinton does is give centre-right independents and Republicans a safe harbour, they can vote to keep a Republican congress but take the Whitehouse keys out of Trump's hands by voting for an ideologically acceptable Democrat. What they won't do is vote for a Democratic candidate that is solidly left.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:31 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

But the activist base is desperate to do what it takes to get rid of Trump. Which means nominating a centrist for the Dems backs them into a corner and pretty much forces them to vote for him/her. At this stage (which might change in 3 years) I would think the Left wing of the Democratic party would vote for a warmed up corpse Democrat over a charismatic Green. But the independent left may well be happy to see the whole edifice crumble with 4 more years of Trump.

What nominating a centrist who's name isn't Clinton does is give centre-right independents and Republicans a safe harbour, they can vote to keep a Republican congress but take the Whitehouse keys out of Trump's hands by voting for an ideologically acceptable Democrat. What they won't do is vote for a Democratic candidate that is solidly left.

I’m not sure about this. It seems to me that Democrats should worry more about getting their own base out.

It seems to me that Republicans are always gonna play team Republican no matter what.

Archived