Jon Snow's 12 companions

fire&blood

Did anyone else notice that Jon Snow went beyond the Wall with a dozen companions? Was this on purpose to hint at the Last Hero and Old Nan's tale from Season 1? I kept trying to count them when they panned out the shot because at the end of episode 5 it looks like it's just the 7 of them that we know by name, and then the start of episode 6 they had tacked on a few extras (obviously those were going to be killed off) but what do you guys think? Coincidence or Easter egg for readers?

Yeah and technically he had a dog (the hound) and a horse at the end. We know that the show has made Jon into a Jesus symbol for the show. The betrayal in front of the cross. Took a dagger in the heart for his people, the resurrection etc....  

10 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Did anyone else notice that Jon Snow went beyond the Wall with a dozen companions? Was this on purpose to hint at the Last Hero and Old Nan's tale from Season 1? I kept trying to count them when they panned out the shot because at the end of episode 5 it looks like it's just the 7 of them that we know by name, and then the start of episode 6 they had tacked on a few extras (obviously those were going to be killed off) but what do you guys think? Coincidence or Easter egg for readers?

Wow, great catch!

I'm a big fan of Old Nan, I thought she was tremendous fun in her scenes.

I hope you're right, and there is a connection to Old Nan's story, cuz I think that would be cool.

44 minutes ago, tmug said:

Jon is also the Drowned God by coming out of that cold water. Did anyone else make that connection?

Just being underwater doesn't mean he drowned. Every Ironborn baby does that, and most people who swim or bathe. Even if he did actually drown and come back somehow, that just makes him a drowned man, like every Ironborn priest (and traditionally Ironborn kings, although Euron didn't do it), not their god.

Still, I hope Euron is at the big armistice meeting, so Jaime can point out that he's a better Ironman that Euron after his ordeal after the dragon battle, and then Jon can top them both.

10 hours ago, fire&blood said:

I was a little disappointed that there was no mention of the Last Hero, or even an Easter-egg cave painting reference to him, in the Jon-Dany Dragonstone cave scene. That seemed like the obvious place to do it, and they didn't bother. Which makes me think this may be just a coincidence, rather than an intentional reference. But I'd love to be wrong.

4 hours ago, falcotron said:

I was a little disappointed that there was no mention of the Last Hero, or even an Easter-egg cave painting reference to him, in the Jon-Dany Dragonstone cave scene. That seemed like the obvious place to do it, and they didn't bother. Which makes me think this may be just a coincidence, rather than an intentional reference. But I'd love to be wrong.

They only mentioned the PtwP.. No Last hero... No Azor Ahai Reborn.. They don't want to "confuse" the viewers with more than one prophecies...

15 hours ago, fire&blood said:

In episode 5 they wanted their magnificent seven shot. Then they realized they needed to kill off some people so they made his party mysteriously bigger without explaining, not even a lazy sentence of, "Thank goodness we found these men at an outpost". Or something. 

To me it was a continuity error and a bad one at that.

Just now, btfu806 said:

In episode 5 they wanted their magnificent seven shot. Then they realized they needed to kill off some people so they made his party mysteriously bigger without explaining, not even a lazy sentence of, "Thank goodness we found these men at an outpost". Or something. 

The red-shirts left Eastwatch with the 7. It just that they never mentioned who they were (I assume they were Tormund's men)

2 minutes ago, Tucu said:

The red-shirts left Eastwatch with the 7. It just that they never mentioned who they were (I assume they were Tormund's men)

So I had to watch the end of the episode again, episode 5, to prove you wrong. And well, touche, I am wrong. They are hidden in the back walking out really slowly. Not walking with the main group of seven. Good catch, my bad.

16 hours ago, Nic. said:

Yeah and technically he had a dog (the hound) and a horse at the end. We know that the show has made Jon into a Jesus symbol for the show. The betrayal in front of the cross. Took a dagger in the heart for his people, the resurrection etc....  

Good obs! The Hound can also represent the actual hound of the Last Hero. Maybe if they ever remember Ghost, they would have used him but it would be too on the nose and I can't handle losing another direwolf. :crying:

15 hours ago, Cron said:

Wow, great catch!

I'm a big fan of Old Nan, I thought she was tremendous fun in her scenes.

I hope you're right, and there is a connection to Old Nan's story, cuz I think that would be cool.

Thanks! I hope so too because I love Old Nan and her stories. It makes me want to go back and watch season 1 to see what stories she shares with Bran.

2 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Thanks! I hope so too because I love Old Nan and her stories. It makes me want to go back and watch season 1 to see what stories she shares with Bran.

Yeah, and I thought the actress did a great job.

It would be fun to listen to audio books narrated by Old Nan.

52 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yeah, and I thought the actress did a great job.

It would be fun to listen to audio books narrated by Old Nan.

If only they had Old Nan team up with Roy Dotrice for the audio books! Since he clearly sucks at doing female voices, and I can listen to Old Nan stories forever.

13 hours ago, Tucu said:

I assumed they were the unnamed BwB extras who'd been hanging around Beric, Thoros, and the Hound all year.

But I could well be wrong, and they could be some of Tormund's unnamed wildling extras instead, and maybe the BwB extras stayed at Eastwatch or didn't even travel with them from the Riverlands or something?

As I've said elsewhere, it was just so obvious they were going to die without accomplishing anything that I didn't even take a close look at them, so I really have no idea whether they look more like BwB types or wildlings or Northern soldiers or, hell, even Dothraki. I just kind of assumed BwB because it was the first thing that came to mind.

13 hours ago, btfu806 said:

13 hours ago, Tucu said:

Also, last episode, Jon said he would ask some of the wildlings to go because they know the far north better than anyone.  A plurality of wildlings was already implied.  I'm really just mentioning that cuz I'm proud of myself for remembering!  :D

But it wouldn't have bothered me anyway because when every minute is so precious some details are too tedious to worry about. 

3 hours ago, fire&blood said:

If only they had Old Nan team up with Roy Dotrice for the audio books! Since he clearly sucks at doing female voices, and I can listen to Old Nan stories forever.

Oh, they have a guy on audio who does female voices???  I wonder why they don't at least get two or three speakers to do various voices, maybe two guys and two girls.

I don't listen to audio books, and I didn't know that.

Speaking of Old Nan stories, I wonder if we'll ever see giant ice spiders.  Or did we already, and I forgot?  I don't think we've seen them, but that would be classic stuff.

I also sometimes wonder if we'll one day learn that the world is really just they eye of a giant, as I seem to recall Old Nan told Robb. Wouldn't THAT be bizarre??   And why not?  Far as I know, everything else Old Nan says was true...

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Oh, they have a guy on audio who does female voices???  I wonder why they don't at least get two or three speakers to do various voices, maybe two guys and two girls.

I don't listen to audio books, and I didn't know that.

For original audio dramas, and adaptations, you can find everything on the scale between single-voice and full-cast (like Big Finish's Doctor Who Companion Chronicles, where there are generally two actors, one of whom is also the narrator for everything else). But for straight audiobooks, it seems like they never go past single-voice without going all the way to full-cast (like the Radio 4 dramatizations line).

I don't know why that is. And I might listen to more audiobooks if it weren't true. But then, as someone who buys and listens to audio plays, I know I'm representative of a pretty small market compared to the audiobook buying market, so I understand why they ignore me.

20 minutes ago, falcotron said:

For original audio dramas, and adaptations, you can find everything on the scale between single-voice and full-cast (like Big Finish's Doctor Who Companion Chronicles, where there are generally two actors, one of whom is also the narrator for everything else). But for straight audiobooks, it seems like they never go past single-voice without going all the way to full-cast (like the Radio 4 dramatizations line).

I don't know why that is. And I might listen to more audiobooks if it weren't true. But then, as someone who buys and listens to audio plays, I know I'm representative of a pretty small market compared to the audiobook buying market, so I understand why they ignore me.

Interesting.

I did not know all that.

Thanks!

Archived