A old poster returns... are any book readers still avoiding the show entirely?

Nymeria_Snow

I haven't been on here for a while, as I was starting to get frustrated once the show went ahead of the books. 

My book snobbery has not waned and I've still not watched the show in several years. However, it's so difficult to avoid spoilers and if some of these plot points really do end up in the books, I will not be happy that I didn't get the reward of reading all the detailed hints and build up first that only a novel can offer.

I need perspectives from non-forum-deserters - is there still a band of book-fans-only on this forum? Is there still a clear space free from show spoilers? I want to go back to dissecting tiny sentences and batshit theories as if HBO had taken a decade hiatus before overtaking but I'm worried that this forum has become very show-centric.

PS. sorry if this is a frequent topic, don't hate me! I'm hoping to just get an accurate impression of the forum after coming back.

It is completely against the rules for the show to even be mentioned in this space unless with a spoiler tag but people screw that up often.  And even without spoiling directly people will start threads with leading topics about stuff depicted on the show and if it could happen in the books - stuff that you wouldn't expect to be discussing if it were truly books only.  Probably best to avoid the forum.  Sorry mate!

1 hour ago, Nymeria_Snow said:

I haven't been on here for a while, as I was starting to get frustrated once the show went ahead of the books. 

Welcome back! :)

My book snobbery has not waned and I've still not watched the show in several years. However, it's so difficult to avoid spoilers and if some of these plot points really do end up in the books, I will not be happy that I didn't get the reward of reading all the detailed hints and build up first that only a novel can offer.

Bold: Same here. Although my experiences have been different regarding spoilers... I haven't had a hard time avoiding them. Lucky me, I guess. And couldn't agree more irt the difference between a well-written book full of details and character development and... GoT. 

I need perspectives from non-forum-deserters - is there still a band of book-fans-only on this forum? Is there still a clear space free from show spoilers? I want to go back to dissecting tiny sentences and batshit theories as if HBO had taken a decade hiatus before overtaking but I'm worried that this forum has become very show-centric.

PS. sorry if this is a frequent topic, don't hate me! I'm hoping to just get an accurate impression of the forum after coming back.

Yes, we're still here. Some of us anyways. The forum rules are actually quite strict regarding show stuff here, even in spoiler tags, it's not allowed. There's a pinned thread (main page), but sadly not everyone reads it. I'm always linking it when people start using silly show arguments to defend book theories. But for the most part it's not a huge issue b/c it's quite easy to avoid these threads - you can spot them a mile off by the thread titles. It's trickier when someone posts a comment including show spoilers, but that doesn't happen too often.

Hope this helps.  

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

It is completely against the rules for the show to even be mentioned in this space unless with a spoiler tag but people screw that up often.  And even without spoiling directly people will start threads with leading topics about stuff depicted on the show and if it could happen in the books - stuff that you wouldn't expect to be discussing if it were truly books only.  Probably best to avoid the forum.  Sorry mate!

Nope, not allowed even in spoiler tags. :)

I have a fairly healthy degree of book snobbery. I still watch the show but I don't talk about, not really worth discussion imo. I'm not personally too concerned with the show revealing much, it was already so different before it even went in front my guess is that now it is completely divergent with the odd tidbit that they know will be in the books that they throw in. But when so much is different you will never know which are genuine things so it doesn't matter so much. Unfortunately if you want to stay completely spoiler free you will have to stay off the internet (and away from anyone who may talk about it in real life) for the next decade or so.

I maintain a healthy dose of book snobbery and I don't care who judges me for it. Some of my real life friends tease me about it, but ya know what, they are so confused with the abomination version that I just giggle. And then we buy each other a pint. 

I did stop watching halfway through last season after I literally fell asleep during an episode. I have seen two "freebie" episodes this season and spent a little time trying to make sense of them, but I gave up. It is pointless. I am not watching on my own because, as George once said, the moving picture one is like an "alternate universe" version and I don't care for that version. 

TWOW or ADOS are the ending to the story. Not the talkie flappy box version. If we never get ADOS, so be it. The story ends with the books. 

I stopped watching after season 5. I find more spoilers in the headlines of a newsfeed that comes with my e-mail than I do in this forum, but there are still some knuckleheads who post things here.

I agree that the show diverged tremendously from the books, but there are still developments in the show that make my heart sink when I hear about them. Some speculative pet theory of mine will be nullified when I hear of the death of a character who is still alive in the books, for instance. I hate that.

I'm seeing some turnover in the forum in the last couple of months. I don't know if some of the regulars have just said everything they want to say and moved on, or if they've found other forums or blogs more to their liking. So it might be hard to predict the climate of this forum - there might be some fresh and wonderful insights bubbling up, or it might be mostly people who will repeat old ideas or won't understand the difference between ASOIAF and GoT . . .

5 hours ago, Nymeria_Snow said:

I can't understand how true fans of Asoiaf could give up on the show in favor of just the books. I love the books, have read them twice over. And the show is like the bandage that I need to survive while waiting for Book 6 & 7 - this is my insulin! Sure, there might be some similarities between what's happening now and what will unfold in the next two books, but so what? Once you read Winds of Winter, you won't care that this small plot was similar to that small plot on the show, etc. You talk about how the "build-up" will be spoiled by the show - I disagree, although this is my opinion, mind you. I don't even remember the build up when i first read the novels. I just remember the excitement - I watched the first season first, then binged all five books. Even though I was aware what book one would be all about, it did not take from the sheer enjoyment. And that is why I won't care how similar or dissimilar book 6 is to season 6-7.

The books and show are two separate narratives - parallel worlds if you will. And reading/watching both is just more content for the series that I love. I'll read, watch, and experience everything I can about Asoiaf because I am a true fan, and the urge is real, folks. The urge is real! I can't even stop myself from watching the leaked episodes, FML. Perhaps a character I love in the novels will die in book 7, and live in season 8. I will not feel as bummed, then. :) Every adaption will be just that, a "adaption" not a mirror-image. Asoiaf will have many adaptions over the centuries, I assume. And each will diverge here and there. 

All I can say is, to each their own!

I am not at all interested in the show.

I do not consider anything from the show to be a spoiler as I view it in same manner as fanfiction - an autonomous take on the same (more or less) setting.

I'm exposed to leakage, certainly, but I simply do not care about what is happening "over there".

My impression is that the show is and has gone in a radically different direction than the books, to the point where I would be surprised if the show really spoils anything about the future books. I treat it like a poorely written fanfic. 

Well, I watch that crap but at this point it is not really spoilery in any meaningful sense. It is not the same characters, not the same setting, not even the same story.

And quite frankly, it is actually painful to watch. People who don't should have more fun.

Before watching Season 7, I was feeling angry when someone called show abomination. Now my feelings changed.

I completely understand that military things are too difficult for show runners to write and produce even with GRRM's help. 

Beside it, they cut many things like Tysha and now they have nothing to show for this show.

Thanks to everyone who answered my very specific question, that's really helpful and much appreciated! As to this particular one -

10 hours ago, Seams said:

I'm seeing some turnover in the forum in the last couple of months. I don't know if some of the regulars have just said everything they want to say and moved on, or if they've found other forums or blogs more to their liking. So it might be hard to predict the climate of this forum - there might be some fresh and wonderful insights bubbling up, or it might be mostly people who will repeat old ideas or won't understand the difference between ASOIAF and GoT . . .

I have noticed that the book section forum is much less frenetic that I remember from a few years back - guess that's what happens when we all start to lose a bit of hope for a new book soon! I'm not sure whether I'll return to this one judging what some of you have said about the spoiler risks, but it would be nice to get involved in discussions with people also doing the same as me and needing to fill their time until TWOW appears (if it does... I've got my own theories about that these days).

If anyone does know of other forums online that are very much book-centric, please point them in my direction ^_^

As to the other 8 or so posts discussing the choice to avoid the show - this isn't quite the discussion I was looking for but good effort in trying to extol the virtues of the show. As a very vocal fan for a good few years, I've made my personal arguments for avoiding the show hundreds of times now. Nothing is going to convince me, and certainly not the argument that the show isn't the same in any way. It's still risking my own perception of the book characters and in the space of minutes, it's potentially spoiling fan theories that have been pored over since the mid-nineties.

Averde, I liked your comment of it being a 'poorly written fanfic' - while I know people are enjoying it more these days and this is a fair way to reconcile the text and show, that's exactly why I'd like to avoid it. I struggle with seeing weird versions of characters I'm attached to, which is why if I've ever read fan fiction, it's been very much in the direction I personally wish for! (to fellow Harry Potter fans, see also: Cursed Child :-( )

Enjoy your show but it's not how I want to experience Westeros and I'm not going there!

28 minutes ago, Nymeria_Snow said:

If anyone does know of other forums online that are very much book-centric, please point them in my direction ^_^

The first one that comes to my mind is Reddit Pure ASOIAF. The tagline of that subreddit is "we do not show". I'am not active on Reddit, but I think you will not encounter spoilers on this particular subreddit and the people there should understand your book snobbery. However, there are fewer discussions there than on this board. 

I have stopped watching the show only recently, though I disliked the last two seasons. However, I'm a person who doesn't mind spoilers, actually I always look for them. Moreover, as other have mentioned the show has moved so far away from the books that it's hard to tell what will actually be a spoiler for the books. 

BTW your comment makes me glad that I deceided not to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. 

15 hours ago, Nymeria_Snow said:

I want to go back to dissecting tiny sentences and batshit theories

Hi Nymeria_Snow and welcome back.  :)

As some of the posters have suggested up thread there is no way of avoiding spoilers completely, sadly someone always seems to ruin it for others even with 'no show spoiler' rules. [Although I find sticking to the general asoiaf and re-read sections pretty much spoiler free]  As you've been absent from this forum for a while I thought you may appreciate a direct route to some of the threads concentrating on book only material from 2016.  Plenty of dissecting and various theorizing of the books has been going on while the show stumbles its way to a conclusion, and the thread linked below highlights quite a few of them from last year.  It at least gives you the option of reading them without having to search the board and risk spoilers/show talk. 

I realise this doesn't answer your question satisfactorily and half the fun is the browsing and finding new topics that you can research and post yourself, but at least it gives you the option of reading some new book centric ideas from this forum with a direct link, if you so please of course.  Plus many [if not all] of these threads are still open for further comments.   :cheers:  

16 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

The first one that comes to my mind is Reddit Pure ASOIAF. The tagline of that subreddit is "we do not show". I'am not active on Reddit, but I think you will not encounter spoilers on this particular subreddit and the people there should understand your book snobbery. However, there are fewer discussions there than on this board. 

I have stopped watching the show only recently, though I disliked the last two seasons. However, I'm a person who doesn't mind spoilers, actually I always look for them. Moreover, as other have mentioned the show has moved so far away from the books that it's hard to tell what will actually be a spoiler for the books. 

BTW your comment makes me glad that I deceided not to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. 

The Reddit pure spoiled me on the show within the first few sentences on the first thread i read. Not pure at all, just a heads up. 

I stopped watching after season 5. I get (marginally) that d&d are veering off course but whatever things happen to be accurate to the books I want to read first instead of seeing some absolute crap on tv. Virgin eyes for WoW!

Archived