Best Rated Episodes So Far By This Forum

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Season 1 was the best season. The writing and acting is just great with few plot holes and filler scenes. Sean Bean's as Ned was one of the best portrayals of a character we've seen this series. That made it even more gut-wrenching when his head got chopped off. Daenerys had her most interesting season and one of the biggest character developments in a season. The wall was a little slow but it was far from boring. It did make me thoroughly hate Alliser Thorne though. The white walkers being ominous in the background was also well done. 

One of the greatest opening season in any series.

Thanks all! 

For the record I agree about season 1. As much complaining as there was, it was really that good for all the reasons mentioned. Also, & I can only speak for myself, but I was less critical when something happened in the show that did happen in the books but I didn't like the way they portrayed it in the show. I am more critical now with no book content to compare it to I guess because some of it just makes no sense; either because we don't have the book content to explain it better or because it won't happen that way in the book at all. 

I was also just so very excited in the beginning to have this series brought to the screen that I was more forgiving of the flaws. 

I'll post some more info tonight! 

53 minutes ago, WhatIsDeadMayNeverLive said:

Season 1 was just that good. It also has by far the most dialogue taken directly from the book. Once D&D abandoned GRRM's style of writing and every other word became fuck, shit or, in case of the Hound, chicken, things started to go downhill.

Lol I thought the show was getting more vulgar for no particular reason before but this season has been terrible.  At a certain point it loses its value - I get it, the Hound is ill mannered and doesn't let societal expectations stop him from saying "cunt" whenever he pleases, but it is turning him into a one trick pony.

A thought in general I wanted to add - I started out as show only and read the books after S6 because I noticed how midway through S5 the show started to really suck (I enjoyed the first 4 or 5 episodes of that season) and was just incoherent and felt really low-stakes and predictable all through S6.  The books are soooo much better.  It is obvious that the quality of the dialouge and the general flow have suffered as a result of the lack of source material, but also the actual plot points themselves.

Also a big deal to me - the plot armor on all day 1 characters has been inpenetrable since Joffrey's death.  Even Jon Snow's S5 stabbing felt like a total cheap fake out.  If D&D had some balls they would have let Jon go at least 9 episodes as dead.  This may become a problem in the books too.  Too many book 1 and book 2 characters seem completely safe.  It is eye roll inducing compared to the earlier pace of the show where it felt like anyone could go at any time.  That is partly why "Blackwater" was such a good episode - only 10 episodes after Ned lost his head and so many consequential characters were there, it felt like any number of them could be killed.  Turns out none of them died but still, high tension throughout.

29 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

New info posted :)

As an analyst by trade, your new info is very intriguing.  Some factors in the drop in total votes could be:

1.  People get vote-weary as the seasons drag on, but just as many are watching and participating in the forum

2.  Just as many ore more people are watching, bu forum interest has waned.

3.  Viewership has steadily declined.

Any of these would be verifiable with further data on the forums and HBO statistics.

Most interesting stat to me is that there are no Top 10 ratings in total points after season 5.

21 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

A thought in general I wanted to add - I started out as show only and read the books after S6 because I noticed how midway through S5 the show started to really suck (I enjoyed the first 4 or 5 episodes of that season) and was just incoherent and felt really low-stakes and predictable all through S6.  The books are soooo much better.  It is obvious that the quality of the dialouge and the general flow have suffered as a result of the lack of source material, but also the actual plot points themselves.

I caught up with the show around S3: bought the DVDs and binge watched it, then bought the books and caught up with books as far as S4 as S4 aired (because I hadn't read Tyrin in aDwD yet the change of Tyrion vs Jaime when helped to escape didn't bother me, not at the time). It did already feel like there was some drop in quality in most plotlines and dragging some plotlines out (Stannis, Wall, Arya, Theon and consequentionally Mereen, which we had basically for 3 seasons). By the time S5 started I was all hyped for it and caught up with all the books. I binge watched the S5 first 4 as they were leaked, but especially the Sansa and Brienne scenes fell flat for me and then Brienne said they'd go around Moat Cailing, which totally made me face-palm. Initially I tried to tell myself that they could write the Sansa-as-Jeyne plotline well if careful. But that hope seemed totally in vain, then they rushed Stannis, and I utterly hated the Braavos execution of the story (frustrated that it was commended for following the book-narrative much closer, but just tottally seemed a miss-match of stuff without depth at all). I became a ranter afterwards. S6 was comedly low level for me, and actually while in some respects S7 was worse, in other areas it had a few more highlights with a scene here or there that still felt like something of the first 3 seasons  I'm not sure but I don't think I rated anything of S6 above a 4, maybe I gave a 6 somewhere. Queen's Justice comes along, and while I did see faults, I ended up rating it a 8 (surprising myself // I start at 0). In isolation, yes 704 has been one of the best episodes since years.

As far as battle sequences go, 704 was one of the most straightforward classical ones, but really well done. It was the type of battle we would have had (without dragon) at the Greenfork if the show had the budget back then. Battles are always effects, but I prefer myself nothing too fancy nor long outdrawn, but with far more care for logic and care for detail. The immersion was superb. And one side didn't just almost lose because of dumb decisions at the start or in the middle of it as with BatB, and Jaime's charge was comprehensible (he had nothing to lose so to speak, but his own life). I had a 7 in mind, but when I tallied everything I ended up with an 8. I actually expected I might have to give Beyond the Wall a 7 or 8 as well... but nope.

706 will end up pretty low it looks, I bet it also has the highest standard deviation (anyone want that job????).

I wonder how many points it got saved from people like me who dinged 705 for the moronic capture a wight and didn't feel right dinging the show twice for it?

On 8/22/2017 at 11:19 AM, ivanosky said:

The same could be said about Season 7 episode 4. And there it is. Also, I'm surprised Season 1 episode 1 is not there either.

I definitely wouldn't say that all Spoils of War had going for it was spectacle. Without the spectacle it wouldn't be memorable, unlike Blackwater or Hardhome. But it also was well-written. Way, way better written than the ridiculous Battle of the Bastards and the Cersei-boosting, fanservicing (especially regarding Arya) Winds of Winter. 

Thanks for putting this together OP - great thread.

Blackwater in the lead - I get that, was my favourite episode for a long time. I'm very partial to the The Climb now, I think it's 306 and sad that's not even there.

Also happy to see No-one as the worst ranked episode - the true Jumping the Shark moment.

I'm surprised 704 made the top 10 ahead of 610.

Has anyone noticed mainstream media has started to rag on the decline in GoTs storytelling quite a bit lately also? It's really quite sad, all things considered episodes 101-409 were as good as televisions gets. The skeletons in 410 were where I first sensed an issue creeping in.

4 hours ago, ummester said:

Thanks for putting this together OP - great thread.

Blackwater in the lead - I get that, was my favourite episode for a long time. I'm very partial to the The Climb now, I think it's 306 and sad that's not even there.

Also happy to see No-one as the worst ranked episode - the true Jumping the Shark moment.

I'm surprised 704 made the top 10 ahead of 610.

Has anyone noticed mainstream media has started to rag on the decline in GoTs storytelling quite a bit lately also? It's really quite sad, all things considered episodes 101-409 were as good as televisions gets. The skeletons in 410 were where I first sensed an issue creeping in.

The irony was when season 4 started it was getting critiques of being the worst season. Season 2 also got a lot of critiques from book readers for deviating too much. Fans on here were pretty pissed ASOS was split into two seasons. 

It doesn't surprise me because the pace of the series changed this season and they really stopped giving a damn about realistic travel time. Also I think the bigger problem is that now that we are finally in the endgame, the narrative of the story is a bit more traditional and you can't do too many swerves and main character deaths like you could early on when you had time to write around it. I always new Jon's resurrection was kind of the bell signalling that the misdirection is over and we are getting to the real endgame of the story. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

As the title says the following is all 7 seasons of episodes rated from worst to best according to this forum.

I didn't average up all the points today so if you go to tally an episode your self you may get slightly different results than I did.

67. 608 No One 5.39

66. 506 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken 5.40

65. 601 The Red Woman 5.61

64. 706 Beyond the Wall 5.78

63. 510 Mother's Mercy 6.13

62. 509 The Dance with Dragons 6.17

61. 603 Oathbreaker  6.19

60. 705 Eastwatch  6.46

59. 606 Blood of My Blood 6.60

58. 607 The Broken Man 6.65

57. 703 The Queen's Justice 6.81

56. 210 Valar Morghulis  6.82

55. 501 The Wars to Come 6.87

54. 504 The Sons of the Harpy 6.91

53. 702 Stormborn 6.92

52. 403 Breaker of Chains 7.01

51. 502 The House of Black and White 7.04 (7.035)

50. 707 The Dragon and the Wolf 7.04 (7.042)

49. 202 The Nightlands  7.08

48. 701 Dragonstone  7.12

47. 307 The Bear and the Maiden Fair 7.14

46. 505 Kill the Boy 7.16

45. 604 Book of Stranger 7.28

44. 602 Home 7.31 (7.311)

43. 306 The Climb 7.31 (7.314)

42. 208 Prince of Winterfell 7.36

41. 405 First of His Name 7.37

40. 503 High Sparrow 7.38

39. 310 Mhysa 7.39

38. 410 The Children 7.57

37. 507 The Gift 7.58

36. 301 Valar Dohaeris  7.59

35. 302 Dark Wings, Dark Words 7.62

34. 201 The North Remembers 7.63

33. 204 Garden of Bones 7.74

32. 404 Oathkeeper  7.77

31. 605 The Door  7.80

30. 103 Lord Snow  7.88

29. 206 A Man Without Honor 7.90

28. 204 Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things 8.05

27. 409 The Watchers on the Wall 8.08

26. 609 The Battle of Bastards 8.16 (8.157)

25. 206 The Old Gods and the New 8.16 (8.162)

24. 401 Two Swords 8.18

23. 107 You Win or Die 8.21

22. 408 The Mountain and the Viper 8.22

21. 102 The Kingsroad  8.23 (8.2317)

20. 110 Fire and Blood 8.23 (8.2318)

19. 205 Ghost of Harrenhall 8.25

18. 407 Mockingbird 8.32

17. 308 Second Sons 8.36 (8.35)

16. 402 The Lion and the Rose 8.36 (8.361)

15. 303 Walk of Punishment 8.40

14. 101 Winter is Coming 8.49

13. 610 The Winds of Winter 8.51 

12. 203 What is Dead May Never Die 8.57

11. 105 The Wolf and the Lion 8.65

10. 704 The Spoils of War 8.66

9. 406 The Laws of Gods and Men 8.78

8. 305 Kissed by Fire 8.82

7. 106 A Golden Crown 8.83

6. 109 Baelor 8.91

5. 508 Hardhome 8.99

4. 108 The Pointy End 9.03

3. 304 And Now His Watch is Ended 9.24

2. 309 The Rains of Castamere  9.26

1. 209 Blackwater 9.54

Did your personal favorite make the top 10? Mine is A Golden Crown at #7. 

I bolded the episodes in seasons 1-4. The better half of the list is saturated with seasons 1 through 4 & the worst with 5 through 7. They just aren't the same without The George having his hand in it!

I tried posting this list in a new thread under 'General' but it didn't get approved. Maybe it was considered a duplicate thread? 

Archived