White Walker armour effective or not

Does the WW body armour protect against dragon glass or valerian steel at all? 4 WW were killed (?) relatively easy, once dragon glass/ valerian steel was in play. We don't know if they just shatter by touch or must be pierced/cut. I assume the latter. (Otherwise why not just use dragon glass glitter to sprinkle all over the place :D)

The armour must somehow be functional and not only decorative, but we haven't seen it be effective yet in three cases. The one Sam killed was just in his boxer shorts so that is understandable. 

Does anyone think they made the WW too vulnerable?

4 hours ago, Eddard Scissorhands said:

Does anyone think they made the WW too vulnerable?

Yes.

Back in Seasons 1 through 4, the wights and the White Walkers had a far more menacing air around them. In Season 1 the wight at Castle Black is nearly impossible to take down. In Season 2 when the wights attack the fist of the first men, the implication is that the men of the Watch stand no chance against them, whereas the White Walkers seemed like supernatural warriors.

Now, so long as you have a +2 Valyrian Steel longsword or + dragonglass modifier, they can be killed in 1 hit. The wights have become generic fantasy zombies and skeletons... it all feels very video-gamey too me, and stinks of immature writers. And you're right, their armor makes no sense. If regular weapons are destroyed by magic in any case, and Valyrian steel and dragonglass destroy the WW in one hit, then it just makes no sense for the WW to wear armor in the first place.

I prefer the design of both the wights and WW in the older seasons as well. The near naked WW at the end of Season 2 had a mystical magical feel about him. The new one just look like human in Halloween costumes.

Edit: I just went and re-watched the scene where Sam kills the White Walker: Go back and rewatch that to remind yourself of what the show used to be. The imagery of the crows filling the trees, and then going silent, of the White Walker approaching near nakes, and then Sam and Gilly running as the crows fill the air. How low the show has fallen since then.

WW´s, just as everybody in the show, wears Plot Armor.

This a magical type of armor, fairly superior to Valyrian armor and with the additional advantage of letting you float. It has a weakness, though, because it becomes useless when "it makes sense creatively and the showrunners want it to happen".

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

At least they seem to have fixed the problem they introduced in Hardhome. I'f I'm remembering correctly the Other's sword shattered when it hit Jon's Valerian Steel Weapon. That no longer seems to be the case.

No, it doesn't shatter. Other way round. Normal weapons shatter if they hit "Ice"-Weapons, Valeerian Steel Weapon can block them.

4 minutes ago, Eddard Scissorhands said:

They made it look like Jon Snow took the WW out easily in this episode. The question is how many WW are there total and how to fight them isolated from the mass of wights.

In S04E04 you can see up to 14 WW when the NK turns Craster's baby into a WW.

And there must be much more of them when every male baby of Craste is "sacrificed" to the NK.

In the show we only see 5-6 at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Marlom said:

In S04E04 you can see up to 14 WW when the NK turns Craster's baby into a WW.

And there must be much more of them when every male baby of Craste is "sacrificed" to the NK.

In the show we only see 5-6 at the moment.

True. I think somewhere it was mentioned that Craster had 99 sons?

46 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

Their armor is as effective as stabbing Arya in the gut.

:lmao:

Yes, the armor makes no sense, at least not against VS. Might be they started to wear it against dragonglass, after Sam killed the WW with his dragonglass dagger-shard. 

I must say that re-watching that kill by Sam was with entirely different visual effects than Jon's offing of the WW at Hardhome and the WW last episode. With Sam the WW was fleshy, and the dragonglass went in as if going into flesh, and then the WW slowly crystallized and splintered. At Hardhome the WW is fleshy, but Jon's VS strikes straight through the armor and WW splinters after a sec delay. But nothing as fleshy as Sam strikes.

Anyone starting to think of White Walkers as WeeWees?

On 8/22/2017 at 6:41 AM, Armand Gargalen said:

WW´s, just as everybody in the show, wears Plot Armor.

This a magical type of armor, fairly superior to Valyrian armor and with the additional advantage of letting you float. It has a weakness, though, because it becomes useless when "it makes sense creatively and the showrunners want it to happen".

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

Their armor is as effective as stabbing Arya in the gut.

lol. man this show really sucks now but at least I can get laughs from its aftermath 

The law of conservation of badass states that when the sides of a fight are unequal the smaller force gains badass while the larger side loses badass.  So one WW v all NW at castle black is freaking amazing.  Conversely, 7 heroes (and some red shirt sherpas) gain considerable badass when facing 10,000 undead.

28 minutes ago, I Am TheSongOf IceAndFire said:

lol. man this show really sucks now but at least I can get laughs from its aftermath 

I get more pleasure from the show since it started to go downhill.  Before I just got an hour (two with a rewatch of good TV). Now I can get a full week of memes and jokes because of the bad writing.

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

:lmao:

Yes, the armor makes no sense, at least not against VS. Might be they started to wear it against dragonglass, after Sam killed the WW with his dragonglass dagger-shard. 

I must say that re-watching that kill by Sam was with entirely different visual effects than Jon's offing of the WW at Hardhome and the WW last episode. With Sam the WW was fleshy, and the dragonglass went in as if going into flesh, and then the WW slowly crystallized and splintered. At Hardhome the WW is fleshy, but Jon's VS strikes straight through the armor and WW splinters after a sec delay. But nothing as fleshy as Sam strikes.

Anyone starting to think of White Walkers as WeeWees?

Good observations, but the one Meera killed with the dragon glass spear also had armor on but it didn't seem to help.

Archived