My theory on why the Night King didn't attack directly

Japper007

I think that lake around the island may be a hot-spring, this would explain several things:

-Why the ice was so thin, since it's heated from below and so only the top layer freezes

-Why the Wights didn't just walk through the water, as they usually seem to be able to do, volcanic activity is anathema to the Dead: dragonglass (lavaglass/obsidian) of course, but also dragons, which are related to volcanic activity in the books at least (Valyria, dragonfire melting stone, etc.)

-Why Jon didn't turn into a Snowsicle after being in near-zero water for several minutes, the water wasn't that cold at all!

Now this is most likely just the result of poor writing in the show, but I like to speculate

There is no clue in the show, which would support your theory (but there also is no clue which doesn't). So, if it helps you sleep better, you can definitely go for this explanation.

Why Jon didn't turn into a Snowsicle after being in near-zero water for several minutes, the water wasn't that cold at all!

The hot spring won't help here. When you fall into water, your body would normally float on or near the surface of the water, unless you wear heavy steal armor or something like that. Jon wore Wildling clothes, so clearly no heavy armor, therefore he shouldn't sink far below the ice layer. The rest is thermodynamics. Near the surface, the water is cold enough to freeze. Water is a far better thermal conductor than air, therefore the water near the surface cannot be much warmer (above 10 degrees Celsius or so) than at the surface or else the ice would melt.

17 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

The hot spring won't help here. When you fall into water, your body would normally float on or near the surface of the water, unless you wear heavy steal armor or something like that. Jon wore Wildling clothes, so clearly no heavy armor, therefore he shouldn't sink far below the ice layer. The rest is thermodynamics. Near the surface, the water is cold enough to freeze. Water is a far better thermal conductor than air, therefore the water near the surface cannot be much warmer (above 10 degrees Celsius or so) than at the surface or else the ice would melt.

Wasn't he born down by a couple of wights though?

Anyway, my personal head-canon - which I don't particularly like but invented to aid in my suspension of disbelief - is that Jon's inner "fire wight" offsets extreme cold from reaching his heart: he'll still be cold as fuck, but it prevents his death from cold just long enough that he can reach Eastwatch. This show requires a lot of head-canon to make sense these days, but it's still entertaining.

Anyway, my personal head-canon - which I don't particularly like but invented to aid in my suspension of disbelief - is that Jon's inner "fire wight" offsets extreme cold from reaching his heart: he'll still be cold as fuck, but it prevents his death from cold just long enough that he can reach Eastwatch. This show requires a lot of head-canon to make sense these days, but it's still entertaining.

I think fire wights are book only. After Jon is resurrected you can clearly see that he is a breathing human being and not some animated dead.

But be it as it is since the plot in the show has more holes then a fishnet everything is possible and I incline to just stop searching for reason behind every surprising or strange thing in the show. That helps to not get frustrated over things which simply don't make sense.

13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Melisandre has more power than Thoros, but understands that power far worse than he does, so her attempt to bring Jon back went wrong. In the technical terms of R'hllorian theology, she decremented the lives counter byte instead of incrementing it. So when he froze and drowned, he did die, he just came back.

If Cersei gets hold of him, Qyburn is going to have a lot of fun chopping him into pieces, dissolving him in acid, etc. and watching him somehow revive, until he finally uses up all 255 lives, which will be disappointing.

21 hours ago, Japper007 said:

I think that lake around the island may be a hot-spring, this would explain several things:

-Why the ice was so thin, since it's heated from below and so only the top layer freezes

-Why the Wights didn't just walk through the water, as they usually seem to be able to do, volcanic activity is anathema to the Dead: dragonglass (lavaglass/obsidian) of course, but also dragons, which are related to volcanic activity in the books at least (Valyria, dragonfire melting stone, etc.)

-Why Jon didn't turn into a Snowsicle after being in near-zero water for several minutes, the water wasn't that cold at all!

Now this is most likely just the result of poor writing in the show, but I like to speculate

The caves where  Jon and Egrit got busy were geo thermal, had hot springs in them. There is geo thermal activity north of the wall. It is possible, but it is also possible the writers just blew it.

21 hours ago, Japper007 said:

I think it's more likely it's just Jon's Plot Armor coming in

But I actually do like this theory! It would make sense.

10 hours ago, falcotron said:

Melisandre has more power than Thoros, but understands that power far worse than he does, so her attempt to bring Jon back went wrong. In the technical terms of R'hllorian theology, she decremented the lives counter byte instead of incrementing it. So when he froze and drowned, he did die, he just came back.

If Cersei gets hold of him, Qyburn is going to have a lot of fun chopping him into pieces, dissolving him in acid, etc. and watching him somehow revive, until he finally uses up all 255 lives, which will be disappointing.

Jon: "You're going to kill me 255 times?!"
Qyburn: "Oh no, Lord Snow. You've got it all wrong. We've upgraded to the 32 bit system now."
Jon: "Nooooooooo!"

Archived