Pictionary 37 - No Alphabet Soup for you!

HexMachina

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Ah, I don't know all the avatars yet, or don't remember them.

I think using my avatar would be illegal, because it has letters, and nothing but letters. So I'd be invisible.

I have already decided I'll be drawing you as a Dracula-Balerion(the cat) hybrid...

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

I think using my avatar would be illegal, because it has letters, and nothing but letters. So I'd be invisible.

Actually the avatars sometimes change and we still draw certain people as certain characters. I often get confused too. Helena is apparently always a ginger, no matter what her current avatar is. 

16 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

I'd probably draw you as a black  dragon (puff the magic dragon style) with Fangs and a vampire style cloak

Just a suggestion, but since a few people found it hard to meet deadlines, and it sounds like it was sometimes hard for the host to send stuff out that quickly too, maybe they are unrealistic deadlines. I had time to put some effort into my first picture but had to just do the basics to meet the deadlines for the next ones.

On 16/10/2017 at 2:32 PM, RhaenysB said:

Actually the avatars sometimes change and we still draw certain people as certain characters. I often get confused too. Helena is apparently always a ginger, no matter what her current avatar is. 

Not so, as I said before, for a while I was Toothless (How to train your dragon, from when my avatar was that way back). I think someone even drew me like that somewhat recently! 

For you I always try and do some variant of Jennifer Lawrence, with depressingly inaccurate results :P 

Regarding Castellan's point on deadlines, I'm not sure. 48 hours is more than sufficient for a description round imo. Drawing round, I think 3 days is a pretty long time - it's just unfortunate that sometimes people have busy schedules on those assigned days. The actual drawing itself rarely takes all that long, it's just finding time, and I'm not sure an extended deadline really helps that

I think extending deadlines would make the whole game even longer and make people less likely to commit because of that. Plus from one to the next round, one would almost forget they are playing. 48 hours for a description and 72 for a drawing was usually fine, this game was special because many people were busy. I think the better solution would be havinv more replacement players ready and the players notifying in advance if they are not going to be able to draw in time.

6 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

I'm tempted to steal one or both of the dragonrider cat pictures for my avatar; although they're copyrighted and i wouldn't want a lawsuit. They're messy. Bother.

The pictures are publically posted on the Internet. I do not think copyright exists anymore. :P Also, you can always credit the artist in your signature or member title.

So go for it, I im strongly in favour of using pictionary drawings. :D

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not so, as I said before, for a while I was Toothless (How to train your dragon, from when my avatar was that way back). I think someone even drew me like that somewhat recently! 

For you I always try and do some variant of Jennifer Lawrence, with depressingly inaccurate results :P 

Regarding Castellan's point on deadlines, I'm not sure. 48 hours is more than sufficient for a description round imo. Drawing round, I think 3 days is a pretty long time - it's just unfortunate that sometimes people have busy schedules on those assigned days. The actual drawing itself rarely takes all that long, it's just finding time, and I'm not sure an extended deadline really helps that

I always try to recreate people's avatars unless they have a signature or recurring one, like pebble or buckwheat. This is often unsuccessful as I'm a terrible artist, but when drawing the pictionary crew everybody always guesses that it's the pictionary crew anyway. 

Yeah my blond female character theme started with Jennifer Lawrence and they look roughly the same in drawing anyways, so that's perfectly perfect. I don't remember if I had a theme before that. I did have kids with cats for a while for Princess Rhaenys and Balerion the cat... other than that it was pretty random I guess. 

As a chronic procrastinator, I almost always do my drawings an hour or ten minutes before the deadline, and that wouldn't change if I had five days or ten days for them either. Description rounds literally take 3 minutes even if you put effort into them. And I do think that whoever wants to take part in this game can slice out 5 to 30 minutes of their schedule to do the drawing rounds, or make an actual effort and spend an hour or two on them if they feel like and their time allows. 

I sometimes sleep on a picture before describing it; but the actual description is pretty quick. drawing is better on the weekends; i've sometimes done it during breaks at work; but then it has to be even hastier than usual and i have to do it all in Paint. But anyway, if there's a delay can't one just e-mail the ... I want to say GM, but that's more roleplaying, I guess ... Pictionary Master?

And i demand a notarised copyright release, with lots of boring legalese and several unintelligible phrases in High Valyrian, including at least one "valonqar", just because the Q looks cool.

Re deadlines - as I said - just a suggestion. Obviously there is a strong preference for a faster game. And its true that a longer deadline can just make people feel they have more time so they put it to the back of their to do list.

you are also welcome to use any of my piccies.   and modify them if you want.

As for a longer deadline,  I don't think its a good idea.  I would not sign up for a game with longer deadlines.  I don't mind the occasional longer round to fit in with people, but as standard No.  it makes the game take longer and thats more time than I can commit too.

Edit  - If you like I've just created a very quick Count Balerion Cat pic you can also use.    If I had more time I'd stick a dragon pic on its belly.

https://i.imgur.com/XYPX94b.png

11 hours ago, Pebble said:

you are also welcome to use any of my piccies.   and modify them if you want.

As for a longer deadline,  I don't think its a good idea.  I would not sign up for a game with longer deadlines.  I don't mind the occasional longer round to fit in with people, but as standard No.  it makes the game take longer and thats more time than I can commit too.

Edit  - If you like I've just created a very quick Count Balerion Cat pic you can also use.    If I had more time I'd stick a dragon pic on its belly.

https://i.imgur.com/XYPX94b.png

Thanks! I look charming.

On 16/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, Count Balerion said:

I sound chic.

Next time I'll give the enormous cat feather and a beak.

:wub:

Yeah, deadline-wise it just turned out really awkwardly this time around. I was really excited about drawing things for bunches of the time, but then the drawing rounds always seemed to magically time themselves around when I had no time at all to put into them, so it was a bit frustrating.

When I was a new player here, knowing avatar conventions was one of the things that I found really difficult, and a bit of a barrier, so I always thought it would be a great idea to make a guide for how people generally depict the other players (not that people would have to do that, but so that as much as anything, when I read threads at the end, I wouldn't feel dumb for not knowing who the picture was supposed to be about!). I don't think I actually got very far with that, but I made a start on the intro for the game I ran, if I can find it.....

here: 

Archived