Where the .... is Howland Reed?

The Red Sultan

They showed Howland at the ToJ, and made sure that we saw that he and Ned were the only survivors.

They had Meera say she was going home to her father.

And, other than the brief discussion about him way back when Meera and Jojen first showed up, that's all we've heard about Howland.

So I think it's pretty clear that the only thing they could reasonably do with him is use him to provide evidence of R+L=J. Maybe Jon and Dany are separated, and they learn the truth in two different ways. Or maybe the way they learn the truth leaves some questions open and they aren't sure until they hear from Howland. Whatever. If he has any purpose in the show, it'll be something like that.

And meanwhile, I'm pretty sure the only point of revealing R+L=J (not the only point of R+L=J in the first place—that set off half the plots in the series—just the point of revealing it) is for Dany to struggle over what it means for her claim. Nobody else in the world is going to care. If Howland meets Jon separately, I could even see Jon saying "I want to make sure Dany never finds out about this", and Howland saying, "No, you can keep it secret from everyone else if you must, but she has to come to terms with it". (Not because that's something Howland would know anything about, just because the show needs someone wise to say that, so they might give it to him.)

1 hour ago, WalkinDude said:

Why do you think Benjen knows anything about Jon's parents or Howland Reed knowing the truth?

The one thing we know is that Benjen wanted to have a talk about Jon with something.

Sure, it's possible that Ned told Benjen about R+L=J and that's what Benjen wanted to talk about. Or maybe Benjen had heard Old Nan tales of a special Stark destiny against the dead that he thought Jon may have to fulfill if he can't. Or maybe he just thought Jon needed a birds-and-bees talk. There are dozens of possibilities.

In the books, we might even learn what it was Benjen wanted to talk to Jon about. But I don't think (whether he's Coldhands or not) he'll get the chance. And I'm glad the show didn't invent a Benjen-to-Jon revelation that probably isn't in the books just to make his final scene better.

6 hours ago, The Red Sultan said:

Jon loved his uncle Benjen so much, that he searched his entire life for him after his disappearing.

And then, when Jon was in danger, Benjen Stark arrives and put him on his horse and demands him to leave.

And then.......I expect this line from Benjen Stark: ''Go find Howland Reed in Greywater Watch''

But instead, he said ''I cant pass''.

And died 1 minute later without a hugg or kiss or handshake from his most beloved nephew, who adored him and idolized him. Benjen Stark was the main reason that Jon Snow joined the Nightswatch and his eyes grow and his voice shattered (''Uncle Bbbenjen!'') when he saw his uncle.

No information about Howland Reed, who is in posession of the greatest secret and who is the key in the war against the White Walkers.

I'm not crying, you're crying. Ok, I'm crying, but mostly  about how this entire subplot became a frenetic throwaway deus ex machina in episode 6...

5 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Most show watchers wouldn't know who Howland Reed is. I don't recall the last time the show mentioned Meera and Jojen's last name. Maybe Ned mentioned Howland during the flashbacks, but I don't see him being an important character on the show. The show running way to fast for it.

Season 7, episode 1, Meera drags Bran up to the Nights Watch standing at the gate in the wall. Meera says "I'm Meera Reed, daughter of Howland Reed. And this is Brandon Stark. Son of Ned Stark."

Ugh what a clumsy ending. The WW pull a dragon out of the lake but are conveniently Absent when Jon resurfaces? Benjen ex machina. Ugh. 

But regarding Howland, his name has kept coming up since that Tower of Joy scene. 

He should make an appearance. He and Meera leading crannogmen to battle the dead, with a nice aside scene with Bran and Jon. Bran will find a way to fuck up the reveal. 

I think that Howland will make an appearance sometime fairly early in season 8.  I do agree though that such a close ally to the Starks has not made an appearance especially with all of the lords of the north gathered at Winterfell.  Did he make Ned a promise to never reveal what happened at the TOJ and is afraid that once he sees Jon he wont be able to contain himself.  Ned is dead, Robert is dead, who is he afraid of at this point.  Or is it just too painful to see Jon after what Lyanna did for Howland?

I would like Howland to come in. We have Sam and Bran who are piecing together the truth about Jon with their respective bits (Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's baby, Jon is not a bastard, etc.) but Howland's perspective could help show the dedication of Ned to Jon and the things that could make the Northern Lords feel more comfortable with Jon's parentage (since saying "oh by Rhaegar and Lyanna really loved each other! might not do much) if they know how dedicated Ned was, etc. during that time. While books and Bran's visions are good, Howland actually having been there as an eyewitness would be really good.

So I would love Howland to come in (and Meera again!) but I'm not entirely sure that would happen.

I do think whoever mentioned Meera and Sansa talking about the Neck, etc. would've been good to mention since the Neck is vital for the defense of the North and they are, arguably, one of the more loyal regions to the North. I wish the Neck was mentioned more in general, it's so interesting.

But yeah, would love Howland.

Not sure if Benjen knows the truth about Jon, though. The "We'll talk when I get back" might just be what it is at face value. We'll talk about shit when I get back.

38 minutes ago, Spaßvogel said:

George has always said that he can't portray Howland Reed because he has all the secrets, but at this point, what is there that he has that we don't already know!?

Well, besides R+L=J, there's at least the mystery knight. I think that could be all GRRM meant (remember, we're not actually supposed to know R+L=J yet…), but he could also know about other mysteries from Ned's life, like what went on with Ashara Dayne. Or maybe he has some political background information about, say, the Rickard-Jon-Hoster plans. Hell, the Crannogmen might even have some ancient wisdom about the Children or something that the other First Men have forgotten.

But anyway, the show is different. Even if neither GRRM nor D&D can drop Howland in too far ahead of the end because he'd reveal too much, that doesn't mean D&D can't drop him in during the endgame, which is almost upon us. I think the only reason GRRM might be reticent to do that is that he doesn't like to introduce characters unless he gets to reveal them to us in as much depth as he's worked out for them, and the TV show doesn't have that problem. D&D haven't been living with Howland Reed in their heads for two decades; they can introduce him as pure plot device if need be.

Shagga has had much more screen time and certainly more lines than HR so far and yet no one is clamoring for a hill tribe reunion.  HR is a big deal to the book reading theorists but in terms of the show is not even as important as Dany's horse.  To pull him into the plot at the 11th hour would be a mistake.  He is off the grid in Westeros choosing to live in the only place in the seven kingdoms that has zero bars of raven reception.  We may never learn why his keep seemingly moves (I think it floats).  I suspect that he and his people live among a colony of CotF and grow organic whacky tobaccy.   Maybe he will be at the next tourney selling dream catchers and incense.

13 minutes ago, Col Cinders said:

Shagga has had much more screen time and certainly more lines than HR so far and yet no one is clamoring for a hill tribe reunion.

They can leave Shagga, but I do want Timett to come back and tell us a story about his ancestor, the dragon-riding fire-witch Nettles, to remind everyone that the idea that only Targaryens can ride dragons is almost certainly not true.

(Last I remember, unlike Shagga who stayed around in the Kingswood, Timett wandered off when he realized there were no goats around, and therefore no point in cutting off anyone's manhood, or something like that? So maybe get some goats first before bringing him back.)

Archived