Episode Title: The Dragon and the Wolf

mattnj81

8 minutes ago, Littler Finger said:

[...]

Merriam-Webster

Wikipedia

Dictionary.com

This season seems to be the anomaly.  Where we usually get episode titles with double meanings, this season seems to be offering double titles.  Multiple episodes have had different titles cited on different sites.  Death is the Enemy and Blood of the Dragon are the two that come to mind. 

I wonder if the apparent name changes are just due to production leaks of early and ultimately rejected episode titles.  

Episode title is about Jon's collection of pets.

Some years back he and his not bastard siblings were all given a wolf puppie for christmas. Arya chased hers away after having an argument with Sansa, which led Ned to take Sansa's away. Robb's was forgotten when he attented a friends wedding. Rickon's was stolen by an Umber boy and Bran left his wolf in a cave.

So Jon wisely decided to keep Ghost in a place where the camera would NEVER see him all season. As Dany is angry about losing one of her three pets, she decides she will give Rhaegal to a friend who has a good track record at keeping mystical pets in good shape.

Will look awesome when he will take all his pets for a walk...

1 hour ago, TRILOGY said:

This is a patriarchal society, Jon IS a dragon, not a wolf, just like Arya is a wolf, not a fish but from a purely symbolic/narrative point of view, he is part dragon and part wolf. :D

Well my point still stands in this case. Jon is not a wolf. But of course nobody gives a shit about this because dragon and wolf sounds cool and that's as far as the show's "thinking" goes. 

3 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

The episode is written by GRRM himself

https://i.redd.it/evfyyuzufehz.png

I didn't think he had anything to do with the series now that it was beyond his source material.... weird.  I wonder if this is just tagging him as the writer of the series whole, not the episode?

6 hours ago, Littler Finger said:

Double entendre would mean it has more than one meaning, one of which is rude or indecent.  I think you just mean titles with more than one meaning (in which case, I agree with you)

Thanks for the English lesson!  The literal meaning is double intention,  and an alternate meaning being risque is common but not a requirement of the definition.  In literature, double entendres are often employed to obfuscate the author's intent until a later point, after which the reader says, "aha!  I see what you did there!"

I used the term exactly as I meant to use it. :)

58 minutes ago, LadyStormHeart said:

I didn't think he had anything to do with the series now that it was beyond his source material.... weird.  I wonder if this is just tagging him as the writer of the series whole, not the episode?

On the HBO Schedule for "Spoils of War" David Benioff, D.B. Weiss and George R.R. Martin are named as writers.

For "Eastwatch" Dave Hill and George R.R. Martin are listed.

GRRM ist listed at all Episodes.

So yeah, maybe he is tagged there as a writer for the whole series and for the last episode the writers will be added on Sunday.

4 hours ago, LadyStormHeart said:

I think you're correct about that, they'll probably add in the writer for the specific episode at some point.

18 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

Drogon and Ghost finally meet and become best friends.

the episode ends with them playing and singing "Me and my best friend".  

They get married and live happily ever after. Everyone else dies however.

I'd say the title refers to the union between the Dragon and the Wolf; House Targaryen and House Stark, and the pairings that the houses have produced; Lyanna and Rhaegar plus Jon and Daenerys.

Alot of people don't like Jon and Dany together, but they *are* the central powercouple in this show now.

I'm expecting it to be more in reference to Rhaegar and Lyanna than Jon and Dany. I mean, they said before S7 began that someone had been cast as Rhaegar and we haven't seen him yet. We're due for another Bran flashback, anyway. It's time to get more insight into why Dr. Branhattan has become so hyper-stoic. 

The title probably refers to more than one coupling but I am thinking that it will mostly apply to Rhaegar and Lyanna, but Jon and Dany will have a couple of moments in there as well.  I would expect to see one of three moments in a flashback the moment R+L met, the moment they ran off, or their wedding.  The wedding being the most likely as it was just brought up a couple of episodes ago.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, Fearodh said:

Episode title is about Jon's collection of pets.

Some years back he and his not bastard siblings were all given a wolf puppie for christmas. Arya chased hers away after having an argument with Sansa, which led Ned to take Sansa's away. Robb's was forgotten when he attented a friends wedding. Rickon's was stolen by an Umber boy and Bran left his wolf in a cave.

So Jon wisely decided to keep Ghost in a place where the camera would NEVER see him all season. As Dany is angry about losing one of her three pets, she decides she will give Rhaegal to a friend who has a good track record at keeping mystical pets in good shape.

Will look awesome when he will take all his pets for a walk...

No, he killed Ghost and used his shrunken head as a sword pommel. Jon is like that. Evil to the bone.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, Nic. said:

I'm going with it's a reference to Rhaegar and Lyanna mostly.  I mean Jon and Dany can be called as much the Dragon and the Dragon than the Dragon and the Wolf. 

Most likely it will be the public reveal of just who Jon is. The biggest impact will be if the reveal comes during the big meeting at the Dragon pit. The two queens will be squabbling who is the real ruler, and then they both find out that the rightful king is standing right next to them. It would put both of them in an awkward place. For Daenerys it would mean that she is not the senior Targaryen, and for Cersei it would be someone her followers could look to as the rightful king instead of her. They might not want Daenerys and her foreign army, but they would be just fine with a noble and heroic Westerosi like Jon being king instead of Cersei. She would be overthrown in a heartbeat. Jon being publically revealed as the true heir would put both of them in a very weak position.

Archived