Episode Title: The Dragon and the Wolf

mattnj81

4 hours ago, Pandean said:

My guess is it's for Dany and Jon/Rhaegar and Lyanna, but it also could just be the Targaryens and the Starks in general.

(Crack!Theory, it's about Jon and Sansa lol. Obviously not but still)

I loved the common use of double entendre episode titles in older seasons.   Nice to see they figured out another one.

4 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I loved the common use of double entendre episode titles in older seasons.   Nice to see they figured out another one.

Yeah, they're fun.

Still wish Ep6 was Death is the Enemy since it would work with the WW, the Wight Hunt, and fuel the flames of the Sansa/Arya thing (since Arya was a FM trainee and all)

2 hours ago, Illiterati said:

Double entendre would mean it has more than one meaning, one of which is rude or indecent.  I think you just mean titles with more than one meaning (in which case, I agree with you)

Jon/Daenerys sex scene. 

Even though Jon isn't actually a wolf, he is part dragon, part wolf, so if anybody took this into consideration, the title should refer to Rhaegar and Lyanna or Daenerys and Sansa/Arya/Bran or as someone wisely said Drogon and Ghost. 

But nobody did so it's the undying love between Jon (the not-wolf) and Daenerys (the dragon). *slowclap* 

2 hours ago, Littler Finger said:

Double entendre would mean it has more than one meaning, one of which is rude or indecent.  I think you just mean titles with more than one meaning (in which case, I agree with you)

One of which may be rude or indecent.  It doesn't have to be.  

Titles from previous seasons were often double if not triple entendres.  

16 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

One of which may be rude or indecent.  It doesn't have to be.  

Titles from previous seasons were often double if not triple entendres.  

You are correct it doesn't have to be rude necessarily but it does have to be indelicate or impolite to state explicitly.  If it just has multiple meanings then it's a double (or triple, etc) meaning statement.  To be a double entendre both the giver and receiver (for want of better words) need to be complicit in the meaning and by the fact the meaning is not clear this is not the case with show titles designed to generate debate about what the meaning may be.

I don't want to derail this thread into a language debate - let's get back to discussing the episode.

I also don't want to admit how much time I've spent googling this today when I'm supposed to be working.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/double-entendre

47 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Jon/Daenerys sex scene. 

Even though Jon isn't actually a wolf, he is part dragon, part wolf, so if anybody took this into consideration, the title should refer to Rhaegar and Lyanna or Daenerys and Sansa/Arya/Bran or as someone wisely said Drogon and Ghost. 

But nobody did so it's the undying love between Jon (the not-wolf) and Daenerys (the dragon). *slowclap* 

This is a patriarchal society, Jon IS a dragon, not a wolf, just like Arya is a wolf, not a fish but from a purely symbolic/narrative point of view, he is part dragon and part wolf. :D

Archived