Three Eyed Raven

Spilly

12 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

@The Fattest Leech, I'm pretty sure baddy bads goes back at least a year, maybe more.  Your wonderful sense of  humor aside, it was the argument that actually made me reread Bran with the intent of finding the alternate view.  I've got to quit taking these long absences from the forum.  A thousand apologies Leech, it was a great argument, but it was a long time ago.   i never meant to misrepresent your ideas--but dammit Leech, they were so good!   

It is one of the discussions that still interests me after all this time.   

Hmmm, was is this idea of mine? Here

I guess now I am curious. 

@The Fattest Leech, nope that wasn't it.    We were in someone else's topic altogether.   It was probably something like Is Bloodraven Evil or along those lines.   Not this year.  You were epic.   Took my hand and made me pay attention and believe me you had it.   Despite my protestations.  I still use "baddy bads" to this day.   

Just now, Curled Finger said:

@The Fattest Leech, nope that wasn't it.    We were in someone else's topic altogether.   It was probably something like Is Bloodraven Evil or along those lines.   Not this year.  You were epic.   Took my hand and made me pay attention and believe me you had it.   Despite my protestations.  I still use "baddy bads" to this day.   

Might it be this here:

"Second. I think BR is a baddy bad guy and I think he wants to either eat or warg Bran because his own body is turning to mulch."

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Might it be this here:

"Second. I think BR is a baddy bad guy and I think he wants to either eat or warg Bran because his own body is turning to mulch."

Well, well, well... looks like your search and destroy skills are on point today :whip: 

"Baddy, bad guy" is me being a little cheeky, even though I do wonder about him doing things that are dark grey in the perspective of us readers. He has always seemed to make his decisions based on the good of the realm, even if it means his honor... including the incident with Aenys Blackfyre. To me it seems he could be behaving rather consistent with himself and still working for the realm, again possibly making some decisions that readers may not like, but overall add to the successes of the story. Two things I know I have changed my mind about is the idea in that link where I thought he might be getting one over on the CotF, and BR wanting to take over Bran's body. We all dabble in crackpot. One thing that I still believe and I mentioned in that link is that I could be wrong about it all ;)

ADDING: One thing that may have helped reshape my ideas on Bloodraven is through the discussions on this forum and how it lead me to also understand the Bloodraven/Blackfyre possible future plots. All these things in the story are connected somehow, and I think the understanding of one, led to an understanding of another.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Might it be this here:

You are spot on.  If you read it you saw Her Amusing Excellence was on her game.    Come to think of it this isn't the 1st time you have called an obscure statement up from the dregs.   Good show again, KissdbyFire! 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Well, well, well... looks like your search and destroy skills are on point today :whip: 

"Baddy, bad guy" is me being a little cheeky, even though I do wonder about him doing things that are dark grey in the perspective of us readers. He has always seemed to make his decisions based on the good of the realm, even if it means his honor... including the incident with Aenys Blackfyre. To me it seems he could be behaving rather consistent with himself and still working for the realm, again possibly making some decisions that readers may not like, but overall add to the successes of the story. Two things I know I have changed my mind about is the idea in that link where I thought he might be getting one over on the CotF, and BR wanting to take over Bran's body. We all dabble in crackpot. One thing that I still believe and I mentioned in that link is that I could be wrong about it all ;)

ADDING: One thing that may have helped reshaped my ideas on Bloodraven is through the descussions on this forum and how it lead me to also understand the Bloodraven/Blackfyre possible future plots. All these things in the story are connected somehow, and I think the understanding of one, led to an understanding of another.

Whatever you do DON'T GO BACK AND READ IT.   You are likely to talk yourself out of all this progress you've made.    C'mon, even you have to admit you were on fire that evening.   Great stuff, Leech.  

47 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Whatever you do DON'T GO BACK AND READ IT.   You are likely to talk yourself out of all this progress you've made.    C'mon, even you have to admit you were on fire that evening.   Great stuff, Leech.  

Too late!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I think is relevant here is that, while crows and ravens have nearly opposite symbolic meanings in Germanic myth, they're often interchangeable in Celtic myth.

We all know that Bran is named, at least in part, for the Celtic word. But the word "bran" means raven in some Celtic languages (like Irish), crow in others (like Brythonic). Which is why the exact same folk stories that are about a raven in North Wales are about a crow in Cornwall.

So, a character nicknamed Bloodraven who may or may not be the three-eyed crow being sought by a character named Bran… there's no way that kind of playing around is not intentional. Especially since he's not the three-eyed anything for multiple reasons. He lost an eye, so opening his third eye makes him two-eyed, not three-eyed. And of course he already had a thousand eyes and one even before that, when he was just a sorcerer and spymaster, so he's really got… 1002 eyes? Except when Mel spies him in the flames, he's only got 1000 eyes. :)

The show changing it to three-eyed raven is presumably just to make the Bloodraven connection obvious because nobody would get it from hints like his ghosts being a brother he loved, a brother he hated, and a woman he desired and so on. But it actually works fine with the wordplay. Bloodraven is the three-eyed raven, and Bran is the three-eyed crow, but since raven and crow are the same thing…

Archived