Can Jon and Daenerys have children?

Jordan La Cabra

Daenerys is convinced she is barren based on the prophecy of Mirri Maz Duur. Jon has been resurrected by fire and is, essentially, a fire wight, To my knowledge, there is no clear statement out there that someone who has been brought back to life cannot have children, but I would imagine it wouldn't be as straight forward as it would be for someone who has never experienced death.

With these two factors taken into account, do you think Jon and Daenerys will be able to have any children together?

I'd be stunned if she didn't have a baby with the way they keep bringing it up.  

What I think is gonna happen for Dany is basically a trade-off of Dragons.  Drogon will die, but Dany get another black dragon in his place (Jon).  She might lose both of the other dragons too, or at least just Viserion.  If Rhaegal lives (he was named after Rhaegar, The Last Dragon, maybe that's a hint), I think he gets a rider who is not Dany. 

So Dany will no longer be a dragon rider in the end, but she will remain the Mother of Dragons of this story, only the dragons will be some little Targling(s) she made with Jon.  That seems bittersweet to me.  A home and a family at the cost of her dragons.      

I'm guessing that under certain circumstances Daenerys will be able to have children. Maybe she has to lose her 3 dragons, maybe she'll have to die giving birth...we don't know yet.

Either way, I've always believed she'll die at the end of the series so...

I think she absolutely can have children, MMD was just rollling with it, she never even intended to harm Dany since she gave specific instructions not to take her into the tent.  She intended to bring Drogo back as a "horse"...but not the rest of it.  

Much that I couldn't have imagined like Jon and Dany hooking up is happening, but her dying in childbirth would be really anti climatic and the author would take a lot of heat for it. I think she lives, he dies.  She will raise their miracle zombie baby along with Uncle Tyrion and usher in a brave new world of broken wheel something.  Or something.  

1 hour ago, Ingelheim said:

I'm guessing that under certain circumstances Daenerys will be able to have children. Maybe she has to lose her 3 dragons, maybe she'll have to die giving birth...we don't know yet.

Either way, I've always believed she'll die at the end of the series so...

I agree.

I’ve noticed a theme in the books of special abilities coming at a cost. I’ve gone into it in more detail in a post in the Voiceless thread on the General book forum. In the books, the Dothraki use eunuchs and barren women as healers and healers have power over life and death. Mirri is 40 with no children with exceptional ability over life and death. She says that her knowledge came at a great cost, so putting 2+2 together, Mirri’s being barren was at least part of that sacrifice for her power over life and death. Dany hatches her dragons after her child is stillborn and is no longer able to carry to term. It's a variation of only death (or neverborn children) may pay for life.

I'm seeing it as an energy consumption issue: if all of Dany's mojo is going to keep dragons alive when they wouldn't be otherwise, then it's taking away from the "magic" of bringing a human baby into the world. Losing Viserion may free up enough mojo to allow for conception, but guessing it still won't be enough to go full term without complications if I'm right.

As to Jon, given what GRRM said, Jon’s condition in the show makes no sense to me as it looks like GRRM’s comment somehow doesn’t apply to show Jon. Totally lost there.

Season 8 leaks spoilers.

Spoiler

Without going into too much detail, the pastebin outlines correlate dragon death to the degree Dany can carry, but it’s not confirmed that this is exactly what's going on in the outlines. That said, it’s waaaayyyyy to early to know if these leaks are valid. They just sound plausible at this point.

i sincerely hope they have kids. maybe she just needs to reunite with the targaryen bllodline. but if she dies, there will be a hoard of angry fans outside the HBO offices, and martin's house, that will put this army of the dead to shame. like torches and pitchforks hoard. people have just invested in her so much.

I was interested in Tyrion's comments to her regarding the naming of her successor. He pointed out that the Night's Watch have their own way of choosing, for example. I was wondering what that meant in relevance to the story going forwards. Was that brought up to put more emphasis on her being 'barren', so that when she and Jon eventually have a child, it will be some kind of miracle? Or was this comment going along with 'breaking the wheel' - maybe Daenerys and Jon can't have children, and Westeros needs to take a new direction when it comes to who sits the Iron Throne when/if Daenerys wins it.

my suspicion is that with the constant reinforcement from dany that she cant have children is supposed to set the stage for her to actaully be pregnant next season. she gets it on with jon this next episode, doesnt bother to drink moon tea cause she is so cure she cant have kids, then come next season she starts feeling ill, has a maester examine her and behold the miracle. maybe laying with the formerly dead man helped fill somesort of supernatural requirement? or its mel's purpose in returning to westeros from volantis to make sure that this child is carried to term?

They most likely will end up having children.

I believe that "The Prince or Princess that was promised" refers to Jon and Daenerys yet unborn child.
The ambiguity is intended, since the gender is unknown before birth. Neither Jon nor Dany can be the prince/princess that was promised, because neither of them are befitting of those titles. They are a king and a queen respectively.
Their offspring however, will be a Prince or Princess, depending on gender.
In this saga, the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon is Ice and Dany is Fire, but it's their child that will bring the dawn, and lead the realm into a brighter future.

I'm very curious how Dany's sudden fertility will be explained in the show though.
Will they go down the "only death can pay for life"-path, and since one of her children died, that means she can have another?
Will they go down the "power in kingsblood / only a Targaryen can impregnate her"-path and basically make happen due to magic?
Will they go down a prophetic path? Why did Drogo and Rhaego sit north on the wall in her vision in the House of the Undying? Does that mean that she will meet her true/last family north of the wall? Jon is the last Targaryen except for her, so I can see them use that vision to explain it somehow.

Gah, I want season 8 now! :P

Archived