NBA 2017: Fleecing the East and Kyrie to Boston

Calibandar

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol dude, very few people would call a 22 year old who averaged 24ppg/4rpg last year and has improved every year terrible. 

Well, those people should look at things other than per game stats, which are deceiving.  

And if you look at advanced stats, which you should when evaluating players, he actually regressed from year two to year three.  Worse VORP, worse BPM, worse TS%, lower win shares, etc.  That was despite having a much better team (which typically buoys the stats of everyone) and a better coach. 

• 2 weeks later...

Read rumors that Thomas might be out until February, but it's unclear as of now.

Doesn't look good for the immediate future if he's missing more than the first month.

But apparently the Cavs were mostly interested in the Nets pick in this trade.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Read rumors that Thomas might be out until February, but it's unclear as of now.

Doesn't look good for the immediate future if he's missing more than the first month.

But apparently the Cavs were mostly interested in the Nets pick in this trade.

I doubt it really matters how long he's out.  He's basically going to step in and do the same things that Irving did in the Cavs' offense, as they are similar players in terms of their skill sets.  And the Cavs are more than good enough to win without him in the short term.  

Well the concern is that the less they get of him, the less he is worth to the Cavs in the year they get him, and obviously his continued absence would increase the already large load on LeBron in a significant way, in the regular season already. Unless Rose surprises. But you don't hear a lot of positivity about Thomas' "imminent" return.

22 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Well the concern is that the less they get of him, the less he is worth to the Cavs in the year they get him, and obviously his continued absence would increase the already large load on LeBron in a significant way, in the regular season already. Unless Rose surprises. But you don't hear a lot of positivity about Thomas' "imminent" return.

I would say the plus side is that Thomas missing most or even half of the year could mean they could lock him up next summer for a hell of a lot less than he might have gotten otherwise.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone following this Durant story where he has been using alternate Twitter and Instagram accounts to defend himself against people making fun of him, and then got himself caught because he forgot to switch accounts one day?  Hilarious.  

Also, Durant trashing Under Armor is a fascinating subplot given that his teammate is their biggest signed star.

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

Anyone following this Durant story where he has been using alternate Twitter and Instagram accounts to defend himself against people making fun of him, and then got himself caught because he forgot to switch accounts one day?  Hilarious.  

Also, Durant trashing Under Armor is a fascinating subplot given that his teammate is their biggest signed star.

Just to be clear, it hasn’t been confirmed that he has ghost twitter accounts, though I suspect that he does, and he has always said he has second Instagram account that’s meant to be just for family and friends. All that said, yeah it’s pretty funny. But it is nice to get a glimpse into what he’s actually thinking and good for him for owning up and admitting that he did it. The weakest move of all would have been to claim that he got hacked.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just to be clear, it hasn’t been confirmed that he has ghost twitter accounts, though I suspect that he does, and he has always said he has second Instagram account that’s meant to be just for family and friends. All that said, yeah it’s pretty funny. But it is nice to get a glimpse into what he’s actually thinking and good for him for owning up and admitting that he did it. The weakest move of all would have been to claim that he got hacked.

I hate when people say "good for him for owning up and admitting" it.  That's bullshit.  He's only owning up because he got caught.  No chance he would have just owned up to this if he hadn't stupidly posted comments under his main handle.  Saying sorry after you're caught means that you're only sorry you got caught, not that you did it to begin with.

And yeah, maybe it hasn't been officially confirmed, but we all know it's true.

Who cares if Durant wants to spend his free time arguing with people on the internet?  Who is the victim here?  This isn't like an author sockpuppeting for better sales, this is purely personal.  At worst it's a little disingenuous to argue with people without identifying himself.  Big deal, athletes are people too and sometimes people want to anonymously argue about sports on the internet.  Just like we're doing here. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Who cares if Durant wants to spend his free time arguing with people on the internet?  Who is the victim here?  This isn't like an author sockpuppeting for better sales, this is purely personal.  At worst it's a little disingenuous to argue with people without identifying himself.  Big deal, athletes are people too and sometimes people want to anonymously argue about sports on the internet.  Just like we're doing here. 

Getting caught arguing on the internet would just be embarrassing.  Posing as someone else in order to rip your former teammates and coaches is just cowardly.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Getting caught arguing on the internet would just be embarrassing.  Posing as someone else in order to rip your former teammates and coaches is just cowardly.

Who cares if Random Internet Dude thinks that Kanter or the Thunder organization are trash?  Until it is revealed that it's actually Durant, he's doing nothing at all. 

I just can't bring myself to care about this issue.  This is a nothing controversy to me.

25 minutes ago, sperry said:

Exactly.

The fact that he got himself caught by forgetting to change accounts is the most embarrassing part of it all.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I hate when people say "good for him for owning up and admitting" it.  That's bullshit.  He's only owning up because he got caught.  No chance he would have just owned up to this if he hadn't stupidly posted comments under his main handle.  Saying sorry after you're caught means that you're only sorry you got caught, not that you did it to begin with.

And yeah, maybe it hasn't been officially confirmed, but we all know it's true.

When do people own up to things? Either when they get caught, think they'll get caught or are consumed by guilt, and I'm guessing the latter is the least likely of the three. If he had actually done something bad or illegal, sure, I get your sentiment, but all that happened is he got caught doing something silly and embarrassing. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

When do people own up to things? Either when they get caught, think they'll get caught or are consumed by guilt, and I'm guessing the latter is the least likely of the three. If he had actually done something bad or illegal, sure, I get your sentiment, but all that happened is he got caught doing something silly and embarrassing. 

Well, my point is that he shouldn't get credit for owning up to it after he was caught.  Getting caught and then being forced into a public apology isn't something to commend.  We all know he would have kept doing this had he not busted himself.  

Archived