NBA 2017: Fleecing the East and Kyrie to Boston

Calibandar

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You don't think the Bucks could be the three seed in the terrible, no good, rotten East? 

I certainly don't.  Boston, Cleveland and likely both the Wizards and Raptors will be ahead of them.  I could see Charlotte also beating them record wise.

11 hours ago, Relic said:

The problem with predicting Great Freak or KAT as the MVP boils down to past history. No player has ever gotten the reward without also being on a top 3 seeded team

Well other than last year.

Just read that Porzingis showed up to camp 20-25 pounds overweight and, during practices, shows up right when they're supposed to start and leaves the minute they are over.  I love the Knicks.  This is fucking great.  :lol:

8 hours ago, briantw said:

Just read that Porzingis showed up to camp 20-25 pounds overweight and, during practices, shows up right when they're supposed to start and leaves the minute they are over.  I love the Knicks.  This is fucking great.  :lol:

I don't know anything about his arrival to and departure from practice times but Porzingis played in Eurobasket which ended less than a month ago. He seemed pretty fit at the time, I'm not sure he could've gained 20-25 pounds since then.

7 minutes ago, baxus said:

I don't know anything about his arrival to and departure from practice times but Porzingis played in Eurobasket which ended less than a month ago. He seemed pretty fit at the time, I'm not sure he could've gained 20-25 pounds since then.

Just going by what I've heard.  

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Source? 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Philadelphia are being brave spending $148 million on someone who averages 10 games a year.  Though if he does come through these injuries that is going to look like the bargain of the century. 

Don't really see an alternative. They're years away from being in cap hell anyways, and if worst comes to worst, a career-ending injury neg's the cap hit after 1 season. Of course this could be a long drawn out on and off ir journey which would suck for them, but short of that this is pretty much a no-brainer to me. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Don't really see an alternative. They're years away from being in cap hell anyways, and if worst comes to worst, a career-ending injury neg's the cap hit after 1 season. Of course this could be a long drawn out on and off ir journey which would suck for them, but short of that this is pretty much a no-brainer to me. 

It's a nobrainer to pay a dude who has played 31 games in three seasons 148 million? Lol. This could go down as one of the worst contracts in the history of sports. It might also turn out to be a bargain, but the ghost of Greg Oden is probably haunting Joel. 

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

It's a nobrainer to pay a dude who has played 31 games in three seasons 148 million? Lol. This could go down as one of the worst contracts in the history of sports. It might also turn out to be a bargain, but the ghost of Greg Oden is probably haunting Joel. 

It's a no-brainer in the sense that the alternative is pretty unthinkable. Yes, there's a significant risk, but I can't see any other pro sports team making a different decision in the same situation. 

9 hours ago, Relic said:

Source? 

I know someone who has a friend that works for the Knicks' front office.  That's how I got the various bits of info about the Cavs/Knicks ongoing Melo negotiations over the summer, along with occasional tidbits from general goings on in the league.

Now, 20-25 pounds could well be an exaggeration, but the point seemed to be that Porzingis was out of shape, not communicating with the Knicks' management, and not really interested in putting in any extra work that wasn't required of him.  I'd say this all stems from how Phil stupidly mistreated him.  It really soured him on the organization.  I know Phil is gone, but those are the kind of feelings that tend to linger.

I can name five current NFLers in the middle of hall of fame careers that won't make as much money (contract+endorsements) as Embiid did in that one contract.  For a guy that has been injured 2 and 2/3rds of his first three years in the league.  And yet the NFL won't guarantee contracts because of injury concerns. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Philadelphia are being brave spending $148 million on someone who averages 10 games a year.  Though if he does come through these injuries that is going to look like the bargain of the century. 

I've said it as soon as I saw him dominate for Kansas.  Joel Embiid will be a HoF, if he can stay healthy.  It's a rather big "if".

An amazing talent like that, doesn't come around too often.  Such unbelievable athleticism, quickness, ball handling, shooting range, to go along with a 7'2 giant frame.  And his personality is infectious.

5 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I've said it as soon as I saw him dominate for Kansas.  Joel Embiid will be a HoF, if he can stay healthy.  It's a rather big "if".

An amazing talent like that, doesn't come around too often.  Such unbelievable athleticism, quickness, ball handling, shooting range, to go along with a 7'2 giant frame.  And his personality is infectious.

Yeah, he definitely has Hall of Fame talent potential, but I think he's going to end up like Greg Oden because his body just can't support his size.

Yeah, we're pretty tired of hearing that comparison, here in Philadelphia.  Most of the fan base has been divided concerning everything related to Sam Hinkie.  Embiid represents "The Process" and the knee injury from last season wasn't severe.  But he can't continue to make those leaping dunks where he increases the chances of hyperextension.  

The back issues from Kansas worry me, and obviously anything involving the foot--primarily the navicular bone--would send us all in a panic.  

All NBA fans should hope he stays healthy.  He's a great kid, and he is a generational talent that could provide us with entertainment for several years.

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I can name five current NFLers in the middle of hall of fame careers that won't make as much money (contract+endorsements) as Embiid did in that one contract.  For a guy that has been injured 2 and 2/3rds of his first three years in the league.  And yet the NFL won't guarantee contracts because of injury concerns. 

For some context, each game he played in has lead to roughly $4.5m in future earnings. That's insane.

There's two ways to make guaranteed contracts happen in the NFL imo. Either the players have to accept less money and shorter deals or the NFL has to figure out away for the salaries to not have the same cap hit in case of injuries. Not sure how you'd exactly do the latter, but it could work. 

41 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, I understand why they did it, but I think it's going to be one of the worst contracts in the league.

I guess we'll see, and I think we'll know that answer by the time Butler's deal is up in 2019.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he definitely has Hall of Fame talent potential, but I think he's going to end up like Greg Oden because his body just can't support his size.

You got to root for the guy, but I'd be nervous maxing out a big man with a back surgery, two foot surgeries and a knee surgery on his resume before his twenty third birthday.  

Archived