What is your level of excitement for this esidose?

15 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

LMAO at everyone who thinks D&D "ruined" the show. I'm sure you could all do a much better job!!!

Sound like a bunch of whining spoilt brats, throwing your toys out of the cot.

So excited for the finale, because I'm enjoying this story, love the progression and couldn't give a shit that the timeline is moving faster (oh, boo hoo).

You don't need to be a master chef to say you don't like the food in a restaurant.

Whether or not we could do better is irrelevant. We're the consumers of the product they're making, and we can say what we think of it. If you think people have an obligation to think the show is perfect, you're very gravely mistaken.

The timeline isn't moving faster, it's been very fast in the past as well, and it wasn't a problem. In Season 1 Catelyn goes from WF to KL in one episode, no travel is shown.

The difference is that back then the passage of time was taken into account. Time passed evenly for characters whose stories intersected.

Now mere days pass for people like Theon between episode 2 and 4 of this season, while weeks pass for Euron. Euron returns to KL and sails all the way to Casterly Rock before Theon even returns to Dragonstone.

It's pure nonsense. The timelines no longer line up.

And don't even get me started on ravens flying at 250 miles per hour and Drogon flying at around 500 miles per hour. Because yes, the director of last episode confirmed that our heroes only spent one night on that rock, and Dany made it there in a few hours.

So the problem isn't that they have people travel off-screen, the problem is that the timeline makes no sense at all.

18 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

LMAO at everyone who thinks D&D "ruined" the show. I'm sure you could all do a much better job!!!

Actually, yes, some of the things posted here are better. That's the point of writer rooms; to combine the overall vision of people like D&D with the thoughts and ideas of people who can't necessarily do what they do but who can keep them honest and help them flesh out ideas so they work better within the context of the series.

21 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

So excited for the finale, because I'm enjoying this story, love the progression and couldn't give a shit that the timeline is moving faster (oh, boo hoo).

Our ability to do (or not do) better does not alter their failure.

Also, no one is complaining about the timeline moving faster. They're complaining about it not making sense.

3 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

I mean, they did, so there's that. 
And there is nothing wrong with you loving just CGI special effects and shows that don't make any sense plot wise. Most Americans do.
No reason to hate on people who like a bit of complex plot and engaging dialog.

3 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

All I care about is Cersei not dying! if she is killed... season 8 may aswell be called The Walking Dead

I don't think you have to worry about that till next season.

The books on the other hand, I could see her dying earlier than this.

27 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

I don't think you have to worry about that till next season.

The books on the other hand, I could see her dying earlier than this.

I hope so she has been far more menacing,interesting and entertaining throughout than any WW scene... and if she goes so does any good plots... it will be all out hack and slash.

5 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

Lol

I am most excited about this episode of any that have come so far, because I want to see how they play Arya/Sansa vs my interpretation of what's happened so far.  I honestly think the rest of the episode will be "meh" for me, which means the entire episode may be "meh" for most, who have taken know interest in the LF intrigue.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

I mean, they did, so there's that. 
And there is nothing wrong with you loving just CGI special effects and shows that don't make any sense plot wise. Most Americans do.
No reason to hate on people who like a bit of complex plot and engaging dialog.

Ok, that's just your opinion...
You want a great story, go and write one.

7 hours ago, NickStark2494 said:

You don't need to be a master chef to say you don't like the food in a restaurant.

Whether or not we could do better is irrelevant. We're the consumers of the product they're making, and we can say what we think of it. If you think people have an obligation to think the show is perfect, you're very gravely mistaken.

The timeline isn't moving faster, it's been very fast in the past as well, and it wasn't a problem. In Season 1 Catelyn goes from WF to KL in one episode, no travel is shown.

The difference is that back then the passage of time was taken into account. Time passed evenly for characters whose stories intersected.

Now mere days pass for people like Theon between episode 2 and 4 of this season, while weeks pass for Euron. Euron returns to KL and sails all the way to Casterly Rock before Theon even returns to Dragonstone.

It's pure nonsense. The timelines no longer line up.

And don't even get me started on ravens flying at 250 miles per hour and Drogon flying at around 500 miles per hour. Because yes, the director of last episode confirmed that our heroes only spent one night on that rock, and Dany made it there in a few hours.

So the problem isn't that they have people travel off-screen, the problem is that the timeline makes no sense at all.

Thing is this isn't a restaurant and a meal doesn't require thousands of people to cook it, costing tens of millions to produce. Is it so hard to try to enjoy something rather than looking for things to pick fault with? To expect a story on this scale to be flawless is just unrealistic, with those expectations you are going to be disappointed no matter what. Why not just enjoy the ride and take certain things with a pinch of salt? I do because I realise what a huge undertaking it is to create a TV show like this, and I choose to appreciate and enjoy it. Yeah it's not flawless, but being realistic the quality is about as good as it could get, really.

For the record there are small birds which can fly at over 200 mph... a huge dragon with wings of that size, I do not think is unrealistic that it could cover a huge distance in a day. Dissecting the timeline for each storyline and complaining when the times don't add up correctly, based on what you've seen onscreen, again just sounds like looking for things to complain about.

5 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

Thing is this isn't a restaurant and a meal doesn't require thousands of people to cook it, costing tens of millions to produce. Is it so hard to try to enjoy something rather than looking for things to pick fault with? To expect a story on this scale to be flawless is just unrealistic, with those expectations you are going to be disappointed no matter what. Why not just enjoy the ride and take certain things with a pinch of salt? I do because I realise what a huge undertaking it is to create a TV show like this, and I choose to appreciate and enjoy it. Yeah it's not flawless, but being realistic the quality is about as good as it could get, really.

For the record there are small birds which can fly at over 200 mph... a huge dragon with wings of that size, I do not think is unrealistic that it could cover a huge distance in a day. Dissecting the timeline for each storyline and complaining when the times don't add up correctly, based on what you've seen onscreen, again just sounds like looking for things to complain about.

The peregrine falcon can reach speeds exceeding 200MPH in a dive.  Ravens can't dive from Eastwatch to Dragonstone.  A dragon can't dive from Dragonstone to Eastwatch.  The only way to insert any sanity into the battle is to assume passage of time that the showrunners didn't portray.  To be honest, while amused with the pace of it all, I made the assumption of elapsed time offscreen and didn't get too excited about it.  Could they have done it better?  Probably, but this was by far not the theing I have most disliked in the series.

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

The peregrine falcon can reach speeds exceeding 200MPH in a dive.  Ravens can't dive from Eastwatch to Dragonstone.  A dragon can't dive from Dragonstone to Eastwatch.  The only way to insert any sanity into the battle is to assume passage of time that the showrunners didn't portray.  To be honest, while amused with the pace of it all, I made the assumption of elapsed time offscreen and didn't get too excited about it.  Could they have done it better?  Probably, but this was by far not the theing I have most disliked in the series.

Fair point :laugh: same, personally I just assume elapsed time off-screen.

8 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

the problem is not the small things... there 878448 details that while I noticed, I don't care. But when a character like Tyrion is transformed in to a boring one... when they create a totally forced drama between Arya and Samsa, when they create a totally stupid plan of capture a wigh.. thats makes me mad.

But In agree that there is some audience (not saying thats you) that while there is explosions, nudity, dragons, people stabbing each other everything is fine. It is like watching a movie that is basically a car chase and saying..woow..coool!

9 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

The quality isn't as good as it could get, because it used to be infinitely better. Of course I try to enjoy it, but you can't help it if you don't like something. I still enjoy some aspects of the show, and still look forward to it, but the writing just doesn't work for me anymore. GoT set an amazing standard for itself in earlier seasons, and I'm merely holding it to that standard. Maybe it wasn't flawless, but it used to be pretty damn close. Now it has many unnecessary flaws that are clearly a byproduct of writers who don't spend enough time working on their scripts.

As for timelines, when you think about it carefully, it really makes no sense at all. Maybe you think that doesn't matter, but to some people, it does matter. It completely ruins immersion for me when dozens of things in each episode are devoid of any logic or realism.

As for ravens and dragons, here is why it doesn't make sense :

In the Season 1 finale we're told that King's Landing is 1000 leagues from the Wall. GRRM has said that 1 league in Westeros is 3 miles. So that's 3000 miles from King's Landing to the Wall.

Dragonstone is right next to KL, so it's about 3000 miles from where Dany is to the frozen lake, give or take.

Alan Taylor, the director, has confirmed that they were only on that rock for about 24 hours. Gendry makes it to Eastwatch at night, and we see Dany leave DS during the daytime, so that's clearly the next morning. That means that in about 12 hours, a raven flew 3000 miles. That's a speed of 250 miles per hour.

That's more than 5 times faster than ravens can actually fly. Ravens fly at around 50 mph maximum.

As for Drogon, let's break this down. Dany leaves Dragonstone during the daytime. She arrives at the lake during daytime. When Jon returns to the Wall on Benjen's horse, it is still daytime, the sun is even slightly visible. Keep in mind that days are short. It's winter, and we're in the very far North.

So let's assume, being very generous to the show, that Dany leaves Dragonstone at 8:30 AM. Let's also assume that Jon returns to Eastwatch on the horse around 5 PM. It would take him a couple hours to make it there from the lake, so let's say he left the lake at 3 PM.

That means Dany made it from DS to the lake on her dragons in about 6 hours. That means she was flying at 500 miles per hour.

First of all, it is silly to think to dragons could fly that fast. That's the speed of a commercial airliner. Dragons are massive, but they only have wings, not jet engines.

But even if a dragon could fly at that speed, how on earth could Dany survive that ? She isn't fastened to Drogon in any way, so she'd fall off. Even if she managed to cling to him, she wouldn't be able to breathe at that speed. She'd be getting smashed in the face by winds that are stronger than the most powerful hurricanes. Breathing would be impossible, her eardrums would likely explode, and she'd fucking die.

The whole thing is utter nonsense.

You may call it "nitpicking", but nitpicking refers to minor details of little to no significance.

This is a massive plot point. The last three episodes of the season have been built around this mission. If Dany hadn't arrived, they all would have died. Her arrival is a massive moment for the story. It's the clash between dragons and White Walkers that we've been waiting for.

Whether or not it makes sense is tremendously important to me. There's no tension when I know that characters will just magically teleport to wherever they need to be depending on what's convenient for the writers. I mean, how can there be tension ? We can no longer say "the characters are fucked, how on Earth will they be saved in time, I'm fucking worried". We can't say that ever again in this show.

Because apparently they'll be saved if the writers want them to be saved, even if it isn't possible based on the laws of time and space. Any character can just appear anywhere now. And when the writers don't want a character saved, they won't be.

The whole trick of writing is to make something that was written by an author feel organic, like a real believable story. When the artifice becomes completely obvious, suspension of disbelief is gone. Without suspension of disbelief, you can't get invested, because you can no longer trick yourself into believing the story is real. The story is screaming in our faces that it isn't real. It's like a neon sign flashing "I'M NOT REAL, THIS IS A TV SHOW, WRITERS WROTE THIS".

Emotional investment in fiction comes from that feeling you have, as your watching it, that despite your rational knowledge that it's fiction, it feels real. GoT used to excel at that feeling, which is why I fell in love with it.

If you still enjoy it as much as ever, good, I'm genuinely happy for you, but I can't be as thrilled by it as I once was, and that's a damn shame.

4 hours ago, NickStark2494 said:

The quality isn't as good as it could get, because it used to be infinitely better. Of course I try to enjoy it, but you can't help it if you don't like something. I still enjoy some aspects of the show, and still look forward to it, but the writing just doesn't work for me anymore. GoT set an amazing standard for itself in earlier seasons, and I'm merely holding it to that standard. Maybe it wasn't flawless, but it used to be pretty damn close. Now it has many unnecessary flaws that are clearly a byproduct of writers who don't spend enough time working on their scripts.

As for timelines, when you think about it carefully, it really makes no sense at all. Maybe you think that doesn't matter, but to some people, it does matter. It completely ruins immersion for me when dozens of things in each episode are devoid of any logic or realism.

In the Season 1 finale we're told that King's Landing is 1000 leagues from the Wall. GRRM has said that 1 league in Westeros is 3 miles. So that's 3000 miles from King's Landing to the Wall.

Dragonstone is right next to KL, so it's about 3000 miles from where Dany is to the frozen lake, give or take.

Alan Taylor, the director, has confirmed that they were only on that rock for about 24 hours. Gendry makes it to Eastwatch at night, and we see Dany leave DS during the daytime, so that's clearly the next morning. That means that in about 12 hours, a raven flew 3000 miles. That's a speed of 250 miles per hour.

That's more than 5 times faster than ravens can actually fly. Ravens fly at around 50 mph maximum.

As for Drogon, let's break this down. Dany leaves Dragonstone during the daytime. She arrives at the lake during daytime. When Jon returns to the Wall on Benjen's horse, it is still daytime, the sun is even slightly visible. Keep in mind that days are short. It's winter, and we're in the very far North.

So let's assume, being very generous to the show, that Dany leaves Dragonstone at 8:30 AM. Let's also assume that Jon returns to Eastwatch on the horse around 5 PM. It would take him a couple hours to make it there from the lake, so let's say he left the lake at 3 PM.

That means Dany made it from DS to the lake on her dragons in about 6 hours. That means she was flying at 500 miles per hour.

First of all, it is silly to think to dragons could fly that fast. That's the speed of a commercial airliner. Dragons are massive, but they only have wings, not jet engines.

But even if a dragon could fly at that speed, how on earth could Dany survive that ? She isn't fastened to Drogon in any way, so she'd fall off. Even if she managed to cling to him, she wouldn't be able to breathe at that speed. She'd be getting smashed in the face by winds that are stronger than the most powerful hurricanes. Breathing would be impossible, her eardrums would likely explode, and she'd fucking die.

You may call it "nitpicking", but nitpicking refers to minor details of little to no significance.

This is a massive plot point. The last three episodes of the season have been built around this mission. If Dany hadn't arrived, they all would have died. Her arrival is a massive moment for the story. It's the clash between dragons and White Walkers that we've been waiting for.

Whether or not it makes sense is tremendously important to me. There's no tension when I know that characters will just magically teleport to wherever they need to be depending on what's convenient for the writers. I mean, how can there be tension ? We can no longer say "the characters are fucked, how on Earth will they be saved in time, I'm fucking worried". We can't say that ever again in this show.

Because apparently they'll be saved if the writers want them to be saved, even if it isn't possible based on the laws of time and space. Any character can just appear anywhere now. And when the writers don't want a character saved, they won't be.

The whole trick of writing is to make something that was written by an author feel organic, like a real believable story. When the artifice becomes completely obvious, suspension of disbelief is gone. Without suspension of disbelief, you can't get invested, because you can no longer trick yourself into believing the story is real. The story is screaming in our faces that it isn't real. It's like a neon sign flashing "I'M NOT REAL, THIS IS A TV SHOW, WRITERS WROTE THIS".

Emotional investment in fiction comes from that feeling you have, as your watching it, that despite your rational knowledge that it's fiction, it feels real. GoT used to excel at that feeling, which is why I fell in love with it.

If you still enjoy it as much as ever, good, I'm genuinely happy for you, but I can't be as thrilled by it as I once was, and that's a damn shame.

Very well said, especially the bold.

6 hours ago, NickStark2494 said:

Good to hear your thoughts, well put. I agree that it's absurd for the raven and Drogon to make those journeys in 24 hours. It sounds like Alan Taylor should have kept his mouth shut, I see no reason why the 24 hour period even needs to be defined. One of the biggest indicators of time is the lake freezing over, that is what I personally am going by, I don't believe that it could freeze over sufficiently in that period of time. So I would say the best thing to assume is that the raven and drogon covered those journeys in just about the same amount of time that the lake took to freeze over sufficiently - that's some thick ice that needed to form to support a lot of weight. I don't know the maths involved but perhaps someone would like to look into that, I'm just going to assume it's over 24 hours for the sake of enjoying the story. There's no need to attach so much importance to Alan Taylor's words, the journeys can't be made in 24 hours so let's assume they took longer.

8 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

the problem is not the small things... there 878448 details that while I noticed, I don't care. But when a character like Tyrion is transformed in to a boring one... when they create a totally forced drama between Arya and Samsa, when they create a totally stupid plan of capture a wigh.. thats makes me mad.

But In agree that there is some audience (not saying thats you) that while there is explosions, nudity, dragons, people stabbing each other everything is fine. It is like watching a movie that is basically a car chase and saying..woow..coool!

I don't find Tyrion a boring character because he is still Tyrion and he's got a great character arch, however I apprechiate that he isn't as entertaining as he used to be and his lines don't quite carry the same weight. But I like that he has changed and matured as a character, I don't mind that he is now more serious and less of a joker. I would find it cringey if he was still delivering witty comments the whole time. This is a tragic character who killed his own father and lover, he's changed and he has an intention and determination he didn't have before, to my mind the change of his character makes sense. He doesn't make classic quips the whole time now, but that's fine. 

Arya and Sansa's drama hasn't been great and the plan to capture a wight also seemed fairly absurd, but neither of those storylines have concluded yet so I am keeping an open mind. No doubt that there is a twist regarding Arya and Sansa. I do not feel that it is entirely a forced drama because this scenario has been largely manufactured by Little Finger's character, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will take a similar path in the books in attempting to manipulate the Starks. I have found it to be unexpected and interesting, suspense has built up for the finale in this story and I like that. It's not the best storyline by any means, there are aspects of it which are a bit weak, but then again I could list numerous boring and entirely pointless stories, which lead absolutely nowhere, from ASOIAF. Perhaps the plan to steal a wight is also ultimately taken from GRRM, who knows. I thought it seemed like a stupid idea, but I loved seeing those characters together and I enjoyed seeing it all unfold, it made for good drama IMO, it was entertaining.

The creators of GoT are working to create the best adaptation they can for TV, it can't all be a perfect uncompromised work of art, I do feel that it's as close to it as it can be realistically however and it's made with incredible level of artistic integrity and detail. I choose to enjoy the ride, and in all honesty I don't take it so seriously because life's too short.

Archived