'Godless': Netflix's Western tv series

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, Astromech said:

I interpreted . . .

Hide contents

the Shoshone ghost and his dog as Bill's spirit guide. At least until Roy saw him too.

I'm assuming Truckee is a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truckee_(chief

Ah!  Interesting.  My only previous reference to "Truckee" have come from old 19th century popular songs of the Southwest of the Gold Rush, and railroad pillaging with the buffalo massacres of the post War of the Rebellion era, also known as the Gilded Age (a/k/a Age of Misery), which were geographical points such getting washed out crossing the Truckee River:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truckee_River

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ah!  Interesting.  My only previous reference to "Truckee" have come from old 19th century popular songs of the Southwest of the Gold Rush, and railroad pillaging with the buffalo massacres of the post War of the Rebellion era, also known as the Gilded Age (a/k/a Age of Misery), which were geographical points such getting washed out crossing the Truckee River:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truckee_River

Yeah, I came across the Truckee Trail doing a google search of the character in the series.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

No one mentioned the beautiful music? How about that last 5 minute scene/montage right at the the end of the finale ? Loved it,oh ,and the gorgeous landscape shots! Overall a solid 9/10 for me.Great cast of characters as well.

The main theme that kept playing, it was good, but I feel like I've heard it before somewhere.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The main theme that kept playing, it was good, but I feel like I've heard it before somewhere.

That's the thing about Godless: it's consciously everything you've seen before and maybe heard before.  Too much of our happiness depends upon knowing all the precedents.  Gorgeous yes, but the significance is all from what the classics already did, whether fulfilling those expectations or subverting them, the viewer's greatest satisfaction come from knowing it all already.

OTOH, this perspective comes from one who is deeply immersed since babyhood in all the generic Western tropes and books and movies and tv.  Maybe it's really different for somebody who isn't?

Enjoyed this as an entertainment, with all the hoary old tropes proudly displayed, but I found the final episode disappointing, and overall the first episodes had more promise than the final episodes realized. Still, worth the watch.

Enjoyed this one a lot.  Riddled with the usual western cliches but I was engrossed for the first 6 episodes. However, felt the finale really dragged it down, it could and should have been handled a lot better.

Overall definitely worth a watch.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to finishing this, loved it.  2 main gripes, the reputation of the black community was clearly not deserved, and Griffin must have had a lot of men in hiding at the start of the shootout, because about 150 were shot. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally got around to finishing this, loved it.  2 main gripes, the reputation of the black community was clearly not deserved, and Griffin must have had a lot of men in hiding at the start of the shootout, because about 150 were shot. 

Well their reputation was as soldiers who fought Native Americans. They completely got caught off guard in their homes. I think because of how much they played up their reputation, the whole scene was even stronger, than otherwise.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Well their reputation was as soldiers who fought Native Americans. They completely got caught off guard in their homes. I think because of how much they played up their reputation, the whole scene was even stronger, than otherwise.

It certainly made the final smackdown more impressive, but the reputation could have been established in a better way or the confrontation to also take some of Frank's closest men, like Devlin brothers, with them. 

(oh, if you thought just the battle between Frank's men and them, then I would also agree)

Also, I just want to point out something about acting. I am currently watching Altered Carbon and the way Joel Kinnaman brings his character is practically the same as he did in "House of Cards". But, truly, almost the same. And then I remember this and Dockery. I spent 6 years watching Michelle Dockery being snobby little princess in "Downton Abbey" with her infamous eyerolls and bored face. But in "Godless", not just accent changed, but everything. She brought Alice Fletcher in such a different way that it speaks volumes about her acting chops. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally got around to finishing this, loved it.  2 main gripes, the reputation of the black community was clearly not deserved, and Griffin must have had a lot of men i:crying:

That was part of my biggest criticisms of Godless, and how it lost its way.  The production made a production of what effective soldiers and fighters these ex-Buffalo Soldiers were, how they'd relentlessly pursued the preacher's gang, putting down many, that the preacher took his boys far far far away.  And now they are so stupid as to INVITE these people with whom they're very familiar into their home, and can't get off single shot that lands?  It's stupid writing.  Just like a gang of forget now of how many members and the women destroy at least 4000 gang members and there's still hundreds milling around?  They took their eyes off the ball of employing all the classic Western tropes and then subverting them via women from about the third episode.

The biggest mistake was probably killing Sam Waterston. :crying:  Always go for more Sam Waterston than less, sez moi!

Just now, Zorral said:

That was part of my biggest criticisms of Godless, and how it lost its way.  The production made a production of what effective soldiers and fighters these ex-Buffalo Soldiers were, how they'd relentlessly pursued the preacher's gang, putting down many, that the preacher took his boys far far far away.  And now they are so stupid as to INVITE these people with whom they're very familiar into their home, and can't get off single shot that lands?  It's stupid writing.  Just like a gang of forget now of how many members and the women destroy at least 4000 gang members and there's still hundreds milling around?  They took their eyes off the ball of employing all the classic Western tropes and then subverting them via women from about the third episode.

The biggest mistake was probably killing Sam Waterston. :crying:  Always go for more Sam Waterston than less, sez moi!

Also, just because a building is made of brick does not mean there wont be things in the building that can be set on fire and used to smoke people out.

I thought I had posted here already.  I watched the full season/series back in November.  I loved it.  Full of almost every trope from Westerns, a few plot holes, leaning heavily on Shane and several other classics, with a very current feminist tilt, but gorgeously shot, well made and immensely enjoyable. 

After watching this, Netflix also recommended Jane Got A Gun too, which was also a decent watch in this genre. 

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Also, just because a building is made of brick does not mean there wont be things in the building that can be set on fire and used to smoke people out.

Ya -- otherwise that African American children's orphanage and so many other brick buildings wouldn't have burned during the NYC 1863 3 - 4-day (depending on whether one counts the night before the first day) draft riot.  Among many other pieces of evidence, from back then and now.

Archived