What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

1 hour ago, Agirlisnoone said:

Well, in my opinion, he is a very important character and I will explain why. The main reason is because he is the last remaining heir of house Baratheon (at least the last one you count). Since he joined in with Daenerys, when she wins the Iron Throne, he will probably be legitimatised, that making him lord of Storms End. This just my opinion though.

PS (I ship him with Arya so much)

I think he is an important character in that he is the most likley character to be lord of storms end.

i don’t think he is important enough to end up married to Daenerys Targaryen (assuming they both survive which might not happen) and King of Westeros. 

Just now, Agirlisnoone said:

Well, in my opinion, he is a very important character and I will explain why. The main reason is because he is the last remaining heir of house Baratheon (at least the last one you count). Since he joined in with Daenerys, when she wins the Iron Throne, he will probably be legitimatised, that making him lord of Storms End. This just my opinion though.

PS (I ship him with Arya so much)

Exactly, the four main houses are the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons and Targaryens. So, given that the others have become exticnt except for House Tarly, it's not coincidence that Baratheons had protagonism in the other seasons and now there is one left from this House. (Source: Opening of the show).

Not that he is very important for the story itself IMO. But I count him in those surviving the story. He is the last Baratheon. It would not make much sense to live so far, and to die without purpose. If Davos or Jon says he is Robert's bastard, no one will argue against it. And with his hammer, he looks enough Robert's. He would also achieve Robert's wish, to marry his son with Ned's daughter.

3 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Not that he is very important for the story itself IMO. But I count him in those surviving the story. He is the last Baratheon. It would not make much sense to live so far, and to die without purpose. If Davos or Jon says he is Robert's bastard, no one will argue against it. And with his hammer, he looks enough Robert's. He would also achieve Robert's wish, to marry his son with Ned's daughter.

It would fit everything that Robert said about his non-son in a nicely way.

On 8/25/2017 at 3:13 PM, JordanJH1993 said:

I agree. House Baratheon is now extinct, and as one of the great houses, it is only natural that it has to be restored. Gendry will hopefully survive and prove that he is worthy of being the man to restore it.

I'm not so sure they care all that much about linage: House Tyrell is gone, the Martells are gone, the Starks are wobbly since there's no male Stark left, but of course heirs could come up for all of the above during the season.

12 minutes ago, hewman said:

I'm not so sure they care all that much about linage: House Tyrell is gone, the Martells are gone, the Starks are wobbly since there's no male Stark left, but of course heirs could come up for all of the above during the season.

Can’t break the wheel if your just restoring the great houses back to what they were

True.

I hope she has a better plan than our guys though. When they broke the wheel in the Roman Empire they realized too late that wheel was also a chandelier and left everybody in the dark for a thousand years during the Dark Age. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Faceless Man Friday said:

Gendry is Henry Tudor.

What makes you think that? He hasn't really lived in exile and he has no army to win the war with. The only remotely Tudor-ish thing about him is that he's not that unlikely to marry into the York/Stark-family.

If the show has a Henry Tudor-character at all, I'd say that's far more likely to be Daenerys.

12 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

What makes you think that? He hasn't really lived in exile and he has no army to win the war with. The only remotely Tudor-ish thing about him is that he's not that unlikely to marry into the York/Stark-family.

If the show has a Henry Tudor-character at all, I'd say that's far more likely to be Daenerys.

I am sure there is a rule about crafting a narrative that the main objective a narrative is about can’t be achived by a very minor character. 

This whole idea that Gendry can become King seems crazy to me since if he was destinated to be King we would have spent way more time with him. Even if he is supposed to be a red herring we would have spent way more time with him. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

I am sure there is a rule about crafting a narrative that the main objective a narrative is about can’t be achived by a very minor character. 

This whole idea that Gendry can become King seems crazy to me since if he was destinated to be King we would have spent way more time with him. Even if he is supposed to be a red herring we would have spent way more time with him. 

I dont agrer. This is the same series of books that killed the main protagonist and also couldnt it be that the biggest red herrinbis the throne? So maybe its not as important after all itswlf or who rules.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I dont agrer. This is the same series of books that killed the main protagonist and also couldnt it be that the biggest red herrinbis the throne? So maybe its not as important after all itswlf or who rules.

The series did not kill the main protagonist. The series succesfully obfuscated who the main protagonist(s) were and tricked people into thinking Ned was the main protagonist in order to give people the impression that the main protagonists can die. But the whole thig was a delibetate trick as George makes clear in his original outline. 

But even when Ned seemed like the lead we still spend a lot of time with Jon and Dany to understand their journey. We followed them since the beginning. We spend no equivalent time with Gendry at all. 

And, its possible the throne is a red herring. Anything is possible. Is it likely? I would argue no. Why? 1.) the name of the show is called game of thrones. Would be incredibly anti-climatic. 2.) the show and books has not been developing this idea that who ends up on the throne doesn’t matter. Instead it seems to matter a great deal because we spend time with jon and dany as they learn how to lead, how to rule, make mistakes etc. And the whole plot rests on them becoming rulers - Jon being KITN and Dany building the world’s biggest army and heading to westeros. So ruling and who rules seems to be a big plot point. 

Of couse, it could all be a red herring. But it would not be my base case. 

:agree:

GRRM did a great job at:
1) Hiding who the real main protagonists were during the first books.
2) Making people think that characters who weren't actually the main protagonists were the main protagonists, so when they got killed off the readers/audience are left with a "no one is safe"-feeling. (Which still exists this late in the game, which is a testimony to his writing.)

With only 1 season left, we can in hindsight clearly see that Ned and Robb, while being big characters, were never the main protagonists of the show. 

10 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Fortunately, that's not the case. He has a role in the endgame ;)

If he does then it's because his character has been forced too. 

1) It was very stupid and dangerous of gendry to hide in KL, right under Cersei's nose 

2) There was no reason to pick gendry for the expedition beyond the wall. 

7 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

If he does then it's because his character has been forced too. 

1) It was very stupid and dangerous of gendry to hide in KL, right under Cersei's nose 

2) There was no reason to pick gendry for the expedition beyond the wall. 

i agree with 1) and 2) but that has to do with the fact that s7 is basically filler and bad writing, not related to the endgame.

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

i agree with 1) and 2) but that has to do with the fact that s7 is basically filler and bad writing, not related to the endgame.

Sounds like wishful thinking season 7 is not related to the end game. The following things in season 7 will almost certainly happen to set up the end in the books as well

- Red Weddin 2.0 is happening in books. Will be Stoneheart and not Arya but that happens.

- Sansa will bring down LF

- there will be a field of fire 2.0 with Tarly betraying the tyrells 

- Dany and Jon will get it on and form an alliance to protect the north 

- the struggle for the throne will be interrupted due to the others invading and we probably will get an attempt to bring everyone together that will fail because someone will betray the others 

- the wall will be going down 

Archived