Which are your three favourite and three least favourite characters in GoT?

Danielos

Favorites among the living (as my favorites are now dead): Cersei, Jaime, Brienne

Least favorites among the living: Dany (haven't liked her since season 1), season 6-7 Tyrion, who has taken ineffectiveness to new highs, and season 6-7 Arya, who is reduced to badass. She has more potential than that, but they're wasting it.

On 5.11.2017 at 3:01 AM, kimim said:

season 6-7 Arya, who is reduced to badass. She has more potential than that, but they're wasting it.

Hm, while I would have liked to see Arya more productive and in better scenes, too, I believe that "reduced to badass" is not fair.

She is on a revenge mission towards King's Landing when she learns that her family in again in Winterfell -- and she immediately turns towards Winterfell. She has still a godd heart and favors family over revenge. Also she was not bent by Jaqen to do assassinations, but kept true to herself and decided to return home. It was Arya who understood Baelish' scheming and saved the family, of course together with Bran's visions.

I just realised that the participants of this thread most probably have quite different conceptions of what kind of "favorite" is meant here.

I like some actors, other less.

I like some characters for their personality.

I like some characters because they give rise to cool scenes.

I like some characters because they are important or intruiging for the storyline.

Further, some actors and characters changed quite a lot from season 1 to 7. Some vote for dead and alive, some only for characters still alive. They initial question should have posed in a better way.

For example, I despise the character Cersei, but the actress is great and the character very important. 

Joffrey can probably only be despised. He's a evil little brat. But the actor was great in playing it. However, I don't really like the actor anyway,y et. Would have to see him in another role, probably.

I like the early Arya very much (season 1-4), the late Arya is still interesting, but a little bit less likeable.

Game of Thrones is extremely great for depicting complex characters that are not black or white, but detailled, credible, evolving, human. Thus, most characters have good and bad traits. GoT also has great actors.

On 11/10/2017 at 0:47 AM, Faera said:

With Season 7 over, literally, all of my original favourite characters have been destroyed, made boring or ejected from the plot to made way for the Jon-Dany-Cersei-Jaime-Tyrion show

I like your term, the 'Jon-Dany-Cersei-Jaime-Tyrion' show. Suits the show's current state.

As for my favourites post-S7:

1) Sandor Clegane. His scene coming to terms with the people he indirectly doomed and breaking out of apathy was actually a decently-written part of S7.

2) Qyburn. He's not on screen often, but when he's around, his actor does a great job, and he's adorably creepy. I loved his 'admiring the abomination' expression in the wight show-and-tell.

3) Sansa, if she can keep up being at the very least consistently sane.

Least favourites post-S7.

1) Arya. Is she a family massacre causer, a little girl making googly eyes with Ed Sheeran, a family girl, or a kinslaying psychopath? Is she an assassin, or an outright warrior that works in protracted fights with trained knights? Is she vulnerable, or wolverine? The answer is all of the above, and D &D just spins the wheel from scene to scene.

2) Tyrion. Did he just get a lobotomy after Season 4? He's a dullard, a tactically deficient shadow of himself who D&D inject into situations hoping Peter Dinklage can make it sell.

3) Davos. He's become so pointless that they've just erased his memories of... you know, everything terrible that's happened to him and reduced him to being Jon's chipper, wisecracking bro.

Catelyn is one of my least favorite characters because she is selfish, stupid and arrogant. Though there's nothing to be said against how she is portrayed or how the actress presented her. That was well done. I'll go with characters I think are horribly done in the show for my least favorites and those I like the best for one personal reason or another for my favorites.

1. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are horrible in all respects. Not very well done and in-universe despicable. The way they take revenge on the Lannisters is exactly what Prince Oberyn would never have stooped to do: killing the innocent girl. They made me cheer for Cersei in the Queen's justice and that is unforgivable.

2. I can't stand Jaime. That's mostly to do with how he's portrayed as some sort of tragic hero and fans are falling for it, so we'll get to see more of it. He's in no way a hero. He's a real whiner. Instead of standing up to the reasons why he killed Aerys he's whining about being an Oathbreaker. When he could have tried to protect Elia and her children he instead sits whining on the Iron Throne until Ned arrives. And then there's "The things I do for love." I'm really looking forward to how he'll arrive alone in Winterfell next season and everyone will immediately make him the military commander. Because there really isn't a reason he shouldn't be executed on the spot or suspected as a spy for Cersei or a danger to Dany's remaining dragons. :rolleyes:

3. Varys' character doesn't make much sense imo. Might change in season 8 though. 

My favorite characters are Olenna, Gilly and Shireen. Olenna is just bad-ass, Gilly is incredibly brave in her own way, and Shireen is imo the most tragic figure overall. 

10 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I like your term, the 'Jon-Dany-Cersei-Jaime-Tyrion' show. Suits the show's current state.

As for my favourites post-S7:

1) Sandor Clegane. His scene coming to terms with the people he indirectly doomed and breaking out of apathy was actually a decently-written part of S7.

2) Qyburn. He's not on screen often, but when he's around, his actor does a great job, and he's adorably creepy. I loved his 'admiring the abomination' expression in the wight show-and-tell.

3) Sansa, if she can keep up being at the very least consistently sane.

Least favourites post-S7.

1) Arya. Is she a family massacre causer, a little girl making googly eyes with Ed Sheeran, a family girl, or a kinslaying psychopath? Is she an assassin, or an outright warrior that works in protracted fights with trained knights? Is she vulnerable, or wolverine? The answer is all of the above, and D &D just spins the wheel from scene to scene.

2) Tyrion. Did he just get a lobotomy after Season 4? He's a dullard, a tactically deficient shadow of himself who D&D inject into situations hoping Peter Dinklage can make it sell.

3) Davos. He's become so pointless that they've just erased his memories of... you know, everything terrible that's happened to him and reduced him to being Jon's chipper, wisecracking bro.

Yes that is a great way to put it.

it really is the jon-dany-cersei-jaime-tyrion show. The minutes of screen time don’t lie and they are the highest paid actors for a reason.although arya and sansa prob fit there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived