Return of The Wild Blue Yonder (Amazon's The Tick)

GrimTuesday

Yes chums, the Tick has once again come to grace our screens as the last line of defense against boredom. Well, for about 5 hours or so.

Anyone been watching it, I know it just dropped at midnight, but I'm half way through, and while it is a bit hit and miss at time, it is still pretty funny. I will say that I miss the whimsy of the cartoon and the 2001 show with Patrick Warburton (Batmanuel will never cease to amuse me) , but at the same time, The Tick has always kind of been a satire of the super hero ecosystem that existed in the its various incarnations, and now it is more of a parody of the more "realistic" super heroes we see today.

I have found that I miss the episodic nature of the cartoon and the old live action series, and thus far Fliedermause/Batmanuel nor Lady Liberty/American Maid have made an appearance, which is a shame, becuase I loved all the colorful side characters that popped up in the old shows. Basically I wouldn't hold my breath for The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight, and that is a real bummer.

17 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I watched the pilot and really didn't take to it at all. Just didn't quite seem to fit with my preconceived ideas of the tick, being a big fan of the cartoon. I love the main actor but I feel like he's basically mis cast here, at least the previous interaction of the live version seemed to have better casting 

That is what I thought initially when I first saw the pilot, but it has for sure grown on me. I just had to adjust my expectations. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of the tone of the show.

On 8/25/2017 at 8:05 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I watched the pilot and really didn't take to it at all. Just didn't quite seem to fit with my preconceived ideas of the tick, being a big fan of the cartoon. I love the main actor but I feel like he's basically mis cast here, at least the previous interaction of the live version seemed to have better casting 

Pretty much this.  I don't think I even made it through the end of the pilot... felt like it was miscast, and didn't work for me.  Still watch the original cartoon series with my kids though, good stuff.

22 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I thought Serafinowicz is perfect in the role, and not at all "hit and miss" but always with the hitting.

Agreed, I think Serafinowicz was a great choice, different than Warburton, but still fun. Where things are hit and miss is the plot itself, I'm not 100% sure I care for having a single bad guy like the Terror, and not having other superheroes just hanging around. The Tick has such a colorful cast historically, strange and fun character both good and evil, and it is a shame they aren't being utilized.

It's just kinda...dull. Arthur's family is neat, and I like Lint and her ex husband, but the actual plot itself is boring as shit and is attempting to be both tense and funny, and kind of fails at both. 

Alan Tudyk reprising his voice as K2SO is awesome at least. 

Archived