Everyone along the Texas and Louisana Coast stay safe

Ser Scot A Ellison

This thing looks nasty - mainly with the whole hanging around for a week and re-energising thing it seems to have going on.  

Be safe anyone in southern Texas and along the Gulf Coast.

I just saw the mayor of Corpus Christie explain why a mandatory evacuation was not issued.  

Disgusting.   Basically because a mandatory evacuation declaration would trigger a variety of "things"  such as evacuating hospital patients and etc.  He also explained that it could hurt businesses.

Also just saw Tom Bossert (sp?) from Homeland - not deny that immigration checkpoints are still active. He did not confirm they were still in place, but did not deny it either.  

There are also rumors that immigration is going into shelters for people that did evacuate. Homeland did not deny these rumors either, and he was directly asked about the rumors.

I have friends in both Corpus and Houston, I hope at least my friend and his family in Corpus evacuated.

Into shelters???!!!???  Holy fucking shit, so now are scaring people into remaining in unsafe locations for fear that they might be picked up and deported from their home and possibly separated from their family.  

wtf is wrong with this country.

46 minutes ago, Maya Mia said:

I just saw the mayor of Corpus Christie explain why a mandatory evacuation was not issued.  

Disgusting.   Basically because a mandatory evacuation declaration would trigger a variety of "things"  such as evacuating hospital patients and etc.  He also explained that it could hurt businesses.

The potential for 35 inches of rain... three feet of rain and they aren't issuing mandatory evacuation orders.  That's crazy talk.

16 minutes ago, Maya Mia said:

Also just saw Tom Bossert (sp?) from Homeland - not deny that immigration checkpoints are still active. He did not confirm they were still in place, but did not deny it either.  

There are also rumors that immigration is going into shelters for people that did evacuate. Homeland did not deny these rumors either, and he was directly asked about the rumors.

I have friends in both Corpus and Houston, I hope at least my friend and his family in Corpus evacuated.

For the love of God.  That is just disgusting.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The potential for 35 inches of rain... three feet of rain and they aren't issuing mandatory evacuation orders.  That's crazy talk.

I believe it is only the city of Corpus Christie that is not under mandatory evacuation, that all other cities and counties along the storm surge threat have issued mandatory.

30 minutes ago, Maya Mia said:

I believe it is only the city of Corpus Christie that is not under mandatory evacuation, that all other cities and counties along the storm surge threat have issued mandatory.

Businesses will still use this as an excuse to require employees to be at work.  It's crazy talk.

It appears the Gov of TX and the Mayor of Houston are also offering conflicting opinions about whether or not residents should evacuate.  It's probably a given that utility services will be disrupted, so I can't imagine a good reason the mayor would encourage non-essential folks to stay.  I really hope this doesn't turn out as devastating as it could be.

This gets technical in a few spots but it's a good explanation of exactly how bad this is looking to be at the moment:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/252055.shtml?

The gist is that it's expect to keep strengthening over the next many hours till it hits, at which point it's probably gonna hang around which will keep it from weakening as quickly as it would have otherwise. And by "hang around" they are suggesting it may still be dumping rain on Texas 6 days from now. Though it will "only" be a tropical storm by then.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Businesses will still use this as an excuse to require employees to be at work.  It's crazy talk.

I'm pleased that the company I work for has closed all its facilities in the region, starting yesterday afternoon, and going through the weekend. They may extend the closeout if need be.

Political storm to follow Harvey:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/hurricane-harvey-aftermath-could-cause-a-political-storm/ar-AAqJKYP?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

With Hurricane Harvey set to be the most damaging storm to hit the U.S. in a dozen years, Congress may be called upon to provide billions in extra storm relief this fall to help with the recovery.

That could put Texas Republican Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz — and Vice President Mike Pence — in a political bind, forcing them to choose between quick aid and their own past demands for spending cuts to offset emergency disaster funds.

Just an FYI for those who think rain can't be "that bad".  Columbia, SC lived though a similar event two years ago (we got less rain than is predicted from this storm).  Two years on and we are still recovering.  My church hosted work crews in our parish hall who were working in poorer communities for more than a year and a half.  

This storm is predicted to be much worse.

Archived