WIll Jon have been given a Targaryen name?

NexivRed

He'll be given a Targaryen name, and I bet it will not be the same name in the books and the show. It' s pretty obvious by now that the show goes for Aegon, he was named this season several times, always in reference to Aegon the Conqueror , and never to Aegon, Rhaegar's first male son. So, I think they want the audience to remember that one as a powerful Targaryen name, and forget about Jon's elder brother.

21 hours ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

I think he will stay Jon Snow as well. It's what his family knows him as. He keeps saying he's not a Stark. I don't think he will consider himself a Targaryen either. 

21 hours ago, LordImp said:

Exactly. Even if he is a trueborn Targ , he will still view himself as Ned's bastard. That's who he has always been.

Although having a Targ name does not mean he will use it, I don't agree with the idea that knowing the truth won't change who he is. He won't be less a northener, or less a "Ned's son", in the sense that Ned's values, codes, even gods, are what shaped him and now are a core part of himself. 

But after having to bear the burden of not being the same as his siblings his whole life, of not being as worthy as them even if  it was not his fault, and above all, of not having a mother, and having always wondered who his mother was, whether she ever thought about him, whether she was a woman so unworthy (may be a whore?) that her father did not even want to talk about her ... that is a very big hole in the soul of any person. How would knowing  that he DID HAVE a mother who loved him very much and whose last words were for him, not change everything? From that huge shadow (because that was his mother for him, a big shadow without shape, that he always tried to fill in with a face in his mind) to a real face, and a real name, and a real story about his parents, as tragic as it was.
And no, not his whole family will look him the same, may be the only one who truly will  is Arya, but that's because she never looked at him as a "half brother" or a bastard. 
Do you really think that Sansa will look with the same eyes at "my half brother, the bastard", than "my trueborn cousin and adoptive brother, the heir prince"? Nope, I don't think so. She is not the same vain girl of season one, she has evolved very much, but not that much.

10 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

o you really think that Sansa will look with the same eyes at "my half brother, the bastard", than "my trueborn cousin and adoptive brother, the heir prince"? Nope, I don't think so. She is not the same vain girl of season one, she has evolved very much, but not that much.

Exactly. I cannot fathom Sansa coming to terms with this in any other way other than he should not be KotN

Personally speaking, I theorized Jon's true name as Aegon back in 2014. There's plenty of evidence in the books. Rhaegar named Elia's son, but he didn't name Lyanna's, she did. And she did so after Rhaegar and his family were all murdered. Also, there's reason to believe Rhaegar was expecting a girl as the third head. If you take a look at the HotU scene where Rhaegar named Elia's son, the scene better describes Jon Snow; PtwP, SoIaF. Who do you think those concepts better apply to, Elia or Lyann's son? And then Rhaegar seems to look at Dany while saying that there must be another dragon head. In other words, he's envisioning--as opposed to literally seeing--a girl as the third head of the dragon. 

17 minutes ago, Cunning Villain said:

I get why the writers, and by extension Rhaegar, went with Aegon, but I was hoping they'd go with Aemon.

Likewise. I really wanted it to be Aemon for various reasons. For one, if he does become king, he'd be King Aemon, First of His Name, as no other Aemon's have ever become king. Second, he would've been named for the only other Targaryen Jon's ever known. One who became very important to Jon just as he was very important to Rhaegar, with whom Rhaegar constantly talked to about the Prophecy of the Prince-That-Was-Promised (Which means that Maester Aemon would've been talking about Jon Snow years before his birth).

21 hours ago, TheonGreyjoy said:

Producers will think the audience is too dumb to remember Rhaegar already had an Aegon. I belive the really want to set up Jon in a Aegon the conquerer role, so that is what I go for. Also its convenient that they dropped the Faegon storyline, so it would be likely Jon is named Aegon

Sometimes parents name the sibling born after a predeceased child. It happens in our world less often than the world of kings and lords but I personally know of more than one instance . A kings name is a kings name and Faegonbwas dead by the time Jon was born.

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Sometimes parents name the sibling born after a predeceased child. It happens in our world less often than the world of kings and lords but I personally know of more than one instance . A kings name is a kings name and Faegonbwas dead by the time Jon was born.

Lyanna didn't know her husband's first son from his first wife died. She had no maester at the Tower of Joy for raven messages and seeing how Ned immediately left King's Landing to lift the siege of Storm's End and then went for Tower of Joy, no riders in the night either.

He is named Aegon in the Show because It takes a man to rule, an Aegon not an Egg. At least in the show, I believe we'll see him rule Westeros. In the books he's probably named after Maester Aemon, his great-great uncle, who was also named after his great-great uncle, Aemon the Dragonknight.

3 hours ago, Cunning Villain said:

I get why the writers, and by extension Rhaegar, went with Aegon

I don't. Can you explain it?

Which Aegon would Rhaegar and/or Lyanna have wanted to name him after, and why?

And what's the out-of-universe reason for D&D doing it? The only thing I can think of is a (badly mistaken) attempt to appeal to book snobs, as a shout-out to fAegon, and I really hope they had some better reason in mind that I'm not seeing.

ETA: Also, why does he have to have an official Targaryen name at all? What's wrong with just leaving it that he never had an official naming ceremony, so he's just (unnamed boy child) Targaryen, and he'll have to invent his own name (or keep Jon) if he ever wants to claim his Targaryen ancestry?

1 hour ago, falcotron said:

I don't. Can you explain it?

Which Aegon would Rhaegar and/or Lyanna have wanted to name him after, and why?

And what's the out-of-universe reason for D&D doing it? The only thing I can think of is a (badly mistaken) attempt to appeal to book snobs, as a shout-out to fAegon, and I really hope they had some better reason in mind that I'm not seeing.

ETA: Also, why does he have to have an official Targaryen name at all? What's wrong with just leaving it that he never had an official naming ceremony, so he's just (unnamed boy child) Targaryen, and he'll have to invent his own name (or keep Jon) if he ever wants to claim his Targaryen ancestry?

Lyanna named him. Possibly in keeping with Rhaegar's wishes that his son and heir be named Aegon. After all, isn't that what he named his son and heir by Elia? But when Lyanna gave birth, Elia and her children were dead. If you reread the HotU scene where Rhaegar named Aegon, you'll see that it seems to better describe Jon. Ptwp, SoIaF. I think that's GRRM's way of hinting at Jon's real name. 

What is the point of having a secret identity if you don't also have a secret name to go along with it? Of course, he has a Targaryen name. 

1 hour ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Lyanna named him. Possibly in keeping with Rhaegar's wishes that his son and heir be named Aegon. After all, isn't that what he named his son and heir by Elia? But when Lyanna gave birth, Elia and her children were dead.  

Yeah, but the last time Rhaegar talked to her, they weren't dead. So why would Rhaegar's wishes be for his two sons to have the same name when he expected them both to be alive? 

1 hour ago, J. Stargaryen said:

What is the point of having a secret identity if you don't also have a secret name to go along with it? Of course, he has a Targaryen name. 

I always loved that Bizarro's secret identity was named Bizarro. (Much less cool when they changed it to Kent Clark.)

5 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Yeah, but the last time Rhaegar talked to her, they weren't dead. So why would Rhaegar's wishes be for his two sons to have the same name when he expected them both to be alive? 

I always loved that Bizarro's secret identity was named Bizarro. (Much less cool when they changed it to Kent Clark.)

You'll note how I said that Lyanna named her son. As in, Lyanna chose the name. I've also provided a more in depth answer on your thread.

12 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Lyanna didn't know her husband's first son from his first wife died. She had no maester at the Tower of Joy for raven messages and seeing how Ned immediately left King's Landing to lift the siege of Storm's End and then went for Tower of Joy, no riders in the night either.

He is named Aegon in the Show because It takes a man to rule, an Aegon not an Egg. At least in the show, I believe we'll see him rule Westeros. In the books he's probably named after Maester Aemon, his great-great uncle, who was also named after his great-great uncle, Aemon the Dragonknight.

No Maester does not equal no news. Just limited news. But if people are upset about one father having two sons with the same name, lets look at our society. George Foreman named all his sons George Foreman, and Michael Jackson has two Prince Michael Jackson's 2nd and 3rd. Weird though it may seem to us, it is not unheard of or an insult for a king to name his sons a kings name.

It does make sense that in the books his name will be Aemon instead of Aegon.

Archived