I've Got a Closet Full of Shiny Suits! And a Pair of Shiny Shoes to Go With Each One of 'Em!

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I have a few bets with people and they are taking McGregor at even fucking money! I don't wanna jinx myself but this is the easiest money I'll ever make in my gambling life. The real question is when the fight will end? I think Floyd will win by TKO in the middle rounds. 

One line of speculation I heard was that Mayweather could look at the reality that if he loses this; winning a rematch then followed by a rubber match could easily push the monetary value of those fights up near a billion dollars. :dunno: 

Also heard talk that Rocky Marciano's family is up in arms over the record because this fight would push Floyd to 50-0.  (Rocky was 49-0.)  ESPN radio was talking about it. Pointed out that Marciano had multiple fights at various points against guys with only one or two career professional fights.  This one just stands out because it's the record breaker.

I'm hoping force a well-placed meteor to take them both out. Mayweather, lady beater that he is, shouldn't have a career left. And the mouthy McGregor with his fuck you pinstripes and racist quips needs to lose his spotlight.

[...] rooting for the bad guys is fun when the villainy is make-believe and the stakes aren’t real. But when we root for guys who are actually bad, our choices get complicated.

I’m not watching Conor McGregor fight Floyd Mayweather because there is no satisfying outcome for me. After all, the guilty pleasure of rooting for the “bad guy” implies there’s a “good guy” in the picture. Whom do I want to see win: the convicted domestic abuser with a thing for homophobic slurs or the Irish guy who uses racist barbs to antagonize his black and Latino opponents? I understand the appeal of seeing two of the greatest athletes in their respective sports go mano a mano. What I can’t accept is their choice to use bigotry and intolerance to help sell this spectacle.

https://theundefeated.com/features/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-no-good-guys-here/

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Also heard talk that Rocky Marciano's family is up in arms over the record because this fight would push Floyd to 50-0.  (Rocky was 49-0.)  ESPN radio was talking about it. Pointed out that Marciano had multiple fights at various points against guys with only one or two career professional fights.  This one just stands out because it's the record breaker.

I'm not an expert on Marciano's career but I suspect that's not really the same thing. Firstly I'd expect those fights were when he was developing as a professional boxer rather than an undefeated world champion. Secondly there's a decent possibility McGregor isn't a professional standard boxer.

23 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not an expert on Marciano's career but I suspect that's not really the same thing. Firstly I'd expect those fights were when he was developing as a professional boxer rather than an undefeated world champion.

Some of them, but he did fight some opponents with terrible records pretty late into his career.

In any case I'm not a boxing historian but my understanding is that Marciano's overall resume isn't stellar and even with McGregor on it Floyd's would be considered rather better.

But it's difficult to compare between eras that far apart.

4 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I'm hoping force a well-placed meteor to take them both out. Mayweather, lady beater that he is, shouldn't have a career left. And the mouthy McGregor with his fuck you pinstripes and racist quips needs to lose his spotlight.

https://theundefeated.com/features/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-no-good-guys-here/

It is tough to find a good guy here, but I have to say that McGregor is the lesser of two evils by far. Mayweather is a serial woman beater. I don't think McGregor has a chance here, but I will be cheering for him regardless.

I'm no expert, not by a long shot, but I'd be seriously surprised if McGregor even made a match out of it, let alone win it. I'd say the same about Mayweather if it was an MMA fight. It is too heavily stacked against the fighter who has to switch sports to make this fight happen.

It is of almost no interest to me, though I'd absolutely love it if McGregor, while getting beaten heavily by Mayweather, lost his temper, forgot what rules were in effect and kicked his opponent in the head, knocking him out. It'd probably be the funniest moment in all sports history.

7 minutes ago, baxus said:

I'm no expert, not by a long shot, but I'd be seriously surprised if McGregor even made a match out of it, let alone win it. I'd say the same about Mayweather if it was an MMA fight. It is too heavily stacked against the fighter who has to switch sports to make this fight happen.

It is of almost no interest to me, though I'd absolutely love it if McGregor, while getting beaten heavily by Mayweather, lost his temper, forgot what rules were in effect and kicked his opponent in the head, knocking him out. It'd probably be the funniest moment in all sports history.

That would be amazing, and I'd have to guess with muscle memory and instinct and such that this possibility isn't off the table.

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

There's some talk about it in the MMA and boxing thread.

My opinion is it's a farce and I've got no idea why anyone's interested in it.

Bill Burr has an interesting take...

/Every mouth-breather that orders this fight is done! That's it, you're out of the gene pool.

Extraordinary that McGregor actually made it to the 10th round, even won a few early rounds.

I guess a shit ton of heavy losses were realized by bettors who heavily bet the under with the official over/under at 8.5 rounds.:D

Mayweather vs. McGregor: 30 need-to-know betting notes

wreg.com-7 hours ago
The official Over/Under on total rounds is set at 8.5 (Over +107/Under -133). Alternative round props are available for the 12-round fight, such ...

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

This just makes me long for the days of Hagler/Hearns/Leonard. I don't understand why anyone would pay $100 to see Mayweather fight. I mean, he's the best at what he does, but what he does is pretty much the opposite of spectacle. It's a dance card, not a fight.

You need to be watching the super-flyweight card on HBO in two weeks, if you weren't planning to already.

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Who's on it? I'll make a point to check it out.

Roman Gonzalez in his rematch with Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (if you've not seen Gonzalez before, he's a ridiculously skilled and ridiculously aggressive fighter who controversially lost the first fight and was considered p4p no.1 until that happened). Juan Francisco Estrada, very talented Mexican looking to establish himself on his own move up to super-flyweight, fighting a real tough opponent in Carlos Cuadras. And Naoya Inoue, Japanese sensation (24-year-old, 10 fights, 2 weight world champion who goes like this).

Inoue isn't fighting anyone with a real rep, just a showcase for his first appearance in America, but taken together it's a great card and strong rumour has it that if both win their fights, Gonzalez and Inoue have already pretty much agreed to fight in December.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Roman Gonzalez in his rematch with Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (if you've not seen Gonzalez before, he's a ridiculously skilled and ridiculously aggressive fighter who controversially lost the first fight and was considered p4p no.1 until that happened). Juan Francisco Estrada, very talented Mexican looking to establish himself on his own move up to super-flyweight, fighting a real tough opponent in Carlos Cuadras. And Naoya Inoue, Japanese sensation (24-year-old, 10 fights, 2 weight world champion who goes like this).

Inoue isn't fighting anyone with a real rep, just a showcase for his first appearance in America, but taken together it's a great card and strong rumour has it that if both win their fights, Gonzalez and Inoue have already pretty agreed to fight in December.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly check that out.

Archived