Future KG and Small council

Graydon Hicks

so i was wondering, if jon and dany live through this all, what do yall predict for their future protection and advisers? who should be on their KG and on their Small Council? i can jorah on the KG, an tyrion and davos on the small coincil, tyrion as hand and davos maybe master of laws? i know he could qualify for master of ships, but that would too easy. maybe sam as the grand maester?

course i kinda hope dany breaks the traditions of the maesters and actually forces them get off their asses. after seeing sam try and get them to help with fighting the night king, they remind of the old university professors that havent published anything new in decades, are just resting on tenure and laurels, and dont believe there is anything more to learn in the world. they need that comfortable lifestyle of theirs broken. but i digress.

what about other KG? who still alive, and might survive, that can serve? and other positions on the small council? master of coin? and master of whispers if varys dies?

Master of whispers = Varys 

Could see Davos becoming Master of coin actually. He is pretty blunt in a way that puts most people at ease rather than putting them off, has some street cred and shadier contacts, and he's upfront enough to tell his betters when they might want to think something through more.

Ironically IF ( <- keyword here ) Jamie completes his redemption arc, kills/turns against Cersi when he sees she's so cracked and doesn't even take the war with the WWs as the ally or die situation it is, I could see him maybe having a role.

Tyrion as Hand of the Queen.
Jorah as Lord Commander of the Queensguard.
Varys as Master of Whispers.
Davos as Master of Coin and Master of Ships.

Not sure who I'd put as Master of Law and Grand Maester however.

Samwell can probably end up as GM in due time, but currently he seems to young and inexperienced.

Doubt any of this will happen however (the show kinda foreshadowed that Varys will die before the show is over), but it's fun to think about.

I'm pretty sure the small council as it is known now will cease to exist as the wheel is being broken.  Maybe different regions elect representatives that serve on the council.  There will be no "master of whispers" anymore for sure since (1) Varys is definitely going to die and (2) that position only perpetuates the cycle of lies and deception.

If there is a Night's Watch either Jorah will be Lord Commander (if Brienne is alive) or Jaime will be Lord Commander (if Brienne is dead).  If Brienne is alive she will be head of the Kings/Queensguard, otherwise it will be Jorah.

Tyrion will be either King Regent or Hand (depends on if one out of Jon and Daenerys survive or if they both die... I am certain Daenerys dies in childbirth).  My old theory was Arya and Gendry would rule as Queen and King with Davos as their hand, but I think Gendry gets the Stormlands and Davos serves him there.

Missandei will have some formal role.

Hmm, this is always a fun practice.  So we're assuming Varys will die?  Ok, it was just one conversation, but whatever.  Also, I reject the contention Master of Whisperers is an inherently nefarious position.  Intelligence gathering is an essential aspect of any functioning government - real or fantasy.  Sooo...

Hand:  If we're assuming both Jon and Dany live, then the obvious choice is Tyrion.  He has the trust of both of them.  While this may change in the next season, I suspect Jon and Tyrion would reconcile because that's how both of them role.

Master of Whisperers:  Hard to come up with a better intelligence gatherer than Bran.  Even if he will insist on telling you he's the three-eyed raven now every time you ask him a question at court.

Master of Ships:  Seems they're intent on letting the Greyjoy plot continue to play out.  In that case I suspect Theon dies for Yara, who within the show is obviously the most qualified mariner.

Master of Laws:  It may be tempting to put Davos as Master of Ships above, but this is where he belongs.  There's no one with a better sense of justice, alive or dead.  And that includes Ned.

Master of Coin:  This is usually the toughest.  Not an easy job, but also an essential one.  Olenna would have been great at this.  Damn, there's really not a living character left in the show I think is qualified for this job.  The closest would be Sansa.  In the books, I have Rodrik Harlaw for this spot.  I suppose you could put "Lord" Royce here, whomever he's supposed to represent (certainly is nothing like the Bronze Yohn), but he's about as one-dimensional a character as you can get.

Grandmaester:  Well, realistically it'd be whatever Jim Broadbent's character's name is because he's the only actual Maester we know of that wasn't just working for the Boltons.  But it's a new day, so let's just go with Sam.

LC of the Kingsguard:  Arya will always protect Jon.

LC of the Queensguard:  I don't think Jorah makes it.  Sandor doesn't seem to have any specific allegiance to Jon, even if he was on his apportioned side of the Dragonpit.  He's also rode on Drogon, so he know how cool Dany is.  Sorry I couldn't fit Brienne in either of the LCs.

ETA:

Chief Advisor:  Missandei needs to be on the council.  This has precedent at least in the books with Tywin loading the council with advisors - plus Lady Nym is ostensibly on her way to fill that "advisory" seat without any policy portfolio.  So, yeah.  Call her chief advisor or deputy hand, but Missandei needs to be there - particularly considering my council beforehand is quite Jon-centric.

King - Jon, Queen - Dany.

Hand - Tyrion.

Grand Maester - Sam.

Master of Coin - Bronn.

Master of Wisperers - Bran 3ER.

Master of ships - Davos. Yara - Queen of Ironborn. Theon died while saving his sister.

Master of laws - Missandei or Arya, or both. Because full name of title is - something like master of laws and upholder of order (or justice), can't find where have I read full title. So basically this person is not only writing laws, but also serves as Judge and Police (something similar to them).

Lady Commander of Kingsguards - Brienne.

Lord Commander of Queensguards - Grey Worm.

Jorah will die, or Dany will send him to Bear Island, or to Dorne, the farther the better for peace of her marital life.

Gendry Baratheon (he will be legitimised by King Jon) - King of Stormlands and husband of Arya Stark.

Sansa will remain in a formal marriage with Tyrion Lannister. Both of them will never remarry or have kids. Thus eventually Winterfell, Lannisport, The Vale, Riverrun, and Stormlands will be inherited by Arya's and Gendry's kids.

Either Jon and Dany will build new city at King's Landing, after Red Keep will be burned to ashes either by dragonfire or Cersei's wildfire, or they will live at Dragonstone <- it's safer to live on island, in case if White Walkers will appear again.

Also there's a very high possibility that both Jon and Dany will die, and Tyrion will rule Seven Kingdoms as Regent, until their child will grow up to rule independently.

Warden of The North - Sansa.

Warden of The West - Tyrion.

Warden of The East - Arya.

Warden of The South - Sam.

To be honest I'm not sure if 'Aegon' and Daenerys will ever have co-rule. Obviously it would be the smart thing to do and would solve all sorts of problems both realm and 'metawise', but the hinted bittersweet ending means at least one of them probably dies. My money is on Daenerys being the one to die during complications at childbirth, leaving Jon a bitter, broken man sitting on a throne he never wanted.

His council would definitely include Tyrion, but everything else comes down to who actually survives the war. Varys is probably a goner if the foreshadowing is anything to go by, and Jorah that doesn't get to 'smack that' with Dany will probably just want to go back to Bear Island to die.

If Dany ends up on the throne, whether as co-regent with Jon or in her own right, she's mostly going to keep the council she already has, the people who got her the throne, and probably fill in the gaps based on political reasons as well as pure merit.

And, since the show is now laser-focusing on only the key players, we don't really know who's going to be politically important to please, or who to appoint to please them, in post-war Westeros.

For example, if she replaces the Lannisters, there are probably at least two different houses to choose from, and one good way to keep the peace is to give it to one house, but pick a sharp member of the other house for her SC. But… which houses are those? Who's the sharpest member of the second best candidate house? We have no idea.

Archived