[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

On 8/28/2017 at 5:32 AM, Lollygag said:

They’re reallllyy trying to push the incest in boatcest with the Jon/Viserys parallels. Jon calls her Dany, and she says, “awwww, my crazy abusive brother used to call me that. How romantic” and then while boinking, Jon’s dad looks just like Viserys. Rhaegar and Viserys look so much alike in the books that Dany couldn’t tell them apart at first in the HOTU vision. Think Rhaegar looking like Viserys was completely intentional.

I have a theory that incest is used in-book to earmark behaviors, thoughts, feelings, or beliefs which work against the fight with the Others/WWs. Basically characters looking inward/playing the game of thrones/prioritizing personal stuff over seeing the big threat. Incest is about as freaky inward– and backward-looking as you can get. Jon/Dany prioritized their own feelings and screwed Westeros by giving the NK a dragon (guess Tyrion was actually right?) and at the same time Jaime said “screw incest” and went to fight the right fight.

GRRM said several times that his inspiration for ASOIAF was the War of the Roses. Well, apart from Edward IV (who married a commoner, making a real scandal), all the Yorks married their COUSINS at the very least (some were first cousins) . All they needed was a dispensation from the Pope, who was at the time quite busy signing the many royal requests throughout the Christendom.

King Richard III was rumored to have bedded his niece, the daughter of his brother King Edward IV. The rumors were so strong that he was forced to make a humiliating public statement to deny the rumours. His own wife, a cousin once removed, was not even one month in her grave.

It was common among the aristocracy in the middle age until recent times to marry in-house to mantain the privileges, lands, properties and titles.

Incest as forbidden practice, dictated by the Bible, was formally allowed by the Head of the Church with a special dispensation.

18 hours ago, Tyrek Lannister said:

When I finally saw that scene I was like...whatever. 

Pretty bizzare that overhyped Boatsex had less exposition that Missandei-Grey Worm though.

It's coz Clarke and Harrington are like A list celebrities or something so seeing their naked butts is some kind of big deal.

I spent the whole time wondering if how a dead person's blood could flow and enable an erection, or if his semen was dry from being dead.

True that. By the way, the wight directly moved precisely toward Cersei as if he was domesticated to do so.

Yes and without the Hound holding the wight back, the Cersei-problem would be solved, because  the wight would have killed her.

I mean, yes, we as viewers knew that Team Daenerys were the good guys. We knew, that Daenerys wouldn't murder Cersei that way, she plays by the rules. But Team Cersei didn't know that. For them Daenerys is a foreign usurper with a cookless army and savages.

But okay, Daenerys didn't go for her first chance, so why should she kill Cersei with a wight? What was her first chance? Well, when she arrived on Drogon, she could have easily landed the big dragon in the middle of the pit and burn Cersei and her group. There were only few Lannister soldiers (and no one with a bow as far as I have seen), so the risk was minimal. Of course, that's not the honorable way, but on the other side, this would minimize the bloodshed and casualties.

45 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

GRRM said several times that his inspiration for ASOIAF was the War of the Roses. Well, apart from Edward IV (who married a commoner, making a real scandal), all the Yorks married their COUSINS at the very least (some were first cousins) . All they needed was a dispensation from the Pope, who was at the time quite busy signing the many royal requests throughout the Christendom.

King Richard III was rumored to have bedded his niece, the daughter of his brother King Edward IV. The rumors were so strong that he was forced to make a humiliating public statement to deny the rumours. His own wife, a cousin once removed, was not even one month in her grave.

It was common among the aristocracy in the middle age until recent times to marry in-house to mantain the privileges, lands, properties and titles.

Incest as forbidden practice, dictated by the Bible, was formally allowed by the Head of the Church with a special dispensation.

Uncle/niece, aunt/nephew was as far as the Church would allow.

47 minutes ago, ummester said:

It's coz Clarke and Harrington are like A list celebrities or something so seeing their naked butts is some kind of big deal.

I spent the whole time wondering if how a dead person's blood could flow and enable an erection, or if his semen was dry from being dead.

But if he is the kind of resurrected where he is actually a walking dead to the point his blood doesn't flow tehn he has no heart rate, he doesn't breathe, his body is room temperature, his metabolism is a moot point, he doesn't need to eat and go to the bathroom... all that might have start spooking people around him.

I guess, Dany is enough Fire to not mind sex with an ice block.  As for erection: rigor mortis?

8 hours ago, darmody said:

They definitely meant Ned. I think they mentioned mommy, too. It's unfortunate they don't get around to her as often. Ned came up twice this episode, Cat only briefly when it wasn't Littlefinger reminding us he wanted to bone her. Now that he's dead, Cat won't even get her horny nostalgia references. 

They don't really talk about Robb, either. Last time he was mentioned was probably when Jon was proclaimed king. Rickon...who's he?

I think they mentioned Robb once this season? But it was again to bash him. It's like the Northerners treated him as a martyr in the books after the RW in the books. :rolleyes:

They try to ignore him as much as possible.

Their whole talk Jon was choses as KitN because he fought for his people, ... is completely rubbish. They named Robb as their KitN because he was the Lord of Winterfell and because they wanted to be independent from the IT. Jon should actually be considered as Robb's heir; but he cannot really because it would mean he usurped the place of Bran, Robb's true heir.

A will of Robb naming Jon as his heir would have prevented this (although I personally think the fact Bran is alive should make the will invalid). 

And even if Bran doens't want it, the King/Queen Title should pass to Sansa and then Arya. 

If Jon wasn't Ned Stark's son, they would never named him KitN. 

And I don't know any Rickon. (And the showrunners also probably killed Rickon because they could not handle the fact one of Ned Stark's true sons would be alive and in front of the Northerners)

On 28/08/2017 at 1:46 PM, Le Cygne said:

Benioff/Weiss:

"He's the rightful heir to the iron throne. That changes everything... It was about making it clear that this was an information bomb that Jon was heading towards... Just as we're seeing these two people come together, we're hearing the information that will inevitably if not tear them apart, at least cause real problems in their relationship, and she's his aunt. It complicates everything on a political level, on a personal level, and it just takes everything that could have been so neat and kind of perfect for Jon and Dany, and it really muddies the waters."

Wouldnt Dany still be the rightful heir to the iron throne ... since she's the only living child left from aerys ? 

6 minutes ago, Lord Pauly said:

Wouldnt Dany still be the rightful heir to the iron throne ... since she's the only living child left from aerys ? 

No

Jon is the oldest son of the oldest son of Aerys. 

Dany is Aerys' youngest child. And I am not sure but I think for the Iron Throne all the male become before the female heirs, even when the female heirs are closer? Not sure about that.   

On 28/08/2017 at 1:46 PM, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

This just made this clusterfuck of a season worth it. Thank you.

And also, why tell Sam all that crap instead of, you know, his sisters?!

It's just bizarre that two tertiary characters get a muuuuuuch longer sex scene that the protagonists that had been making fuckme eyes to each other all season long. 

But you know this show has set the bar really fucking low when you go "Well, at least it was consensual, so that's good."

I didn't want to see either ... I'm glad the sex scene was short sheesh 

I don't like how the show's main source of humour now is responding to memes made about it by others.

Remember when Tyrion told the fly in wine joke, and it was super lame because the show-writers didn't write that, they used an old cultural joke most people have heard?

Well it's also uncreative to make jokes teasing Dany's many titles, because that wasn't something that the show did on its own, it's something that was done in response to it.

Be creative enough to make your own laughs!

On 8/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, Col Cinders said:

Characters are not allowed to ask Bran apposite questions.  Bran is not allowed to offer useful information.  You were beautiful when you made your post.

LOL

13 hours ago, greensleeves said:

He's shaping up to be a worse king than Robb.ert Baratheon.

Better? Lol.

He´s shaping up to be a worse king than Maegor the Cruel. You can say what you want about the guy, but he never gifted the Night King a dragon.

10 hours ago, Holly Macaroni said:

Sam - Yo, Bran, 'sup?

Bran - I am the 3 eyed raven, now!

Sam - What does that mean?

Bran - IT MEANS I CAN SEE ALL! I KNOW EVERYTHING! why are you at winterfell?

Sam - I came to help john.

Bran - Why are you in my chamber, then? By the way, after a whole season of not telling anything to any of my sisters, I'll just plain blurt out for you that Jon Snow is actually...Jon Sand! He MUST know.

Sam - No, he is legitimized. I know it because I transcribed it from a maester's diary.

Bran - What...but not only you didn't pay attention to Gilly, but she was reading from the diary itself...does that mean you kept on transcribing the maester's diary after fleeing the citadel?

Sam - .........................no...

<cuts to boatsex>

Bran- Gilly was beautiful when she read that book.

4 hours ago, 3sm1r said:

True that. By the way, the wight directly moved precisely toward Cersei as if he was domesticated to do so.

3 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

Yes and without the Hound holding the wight back, the Cersei-problem would be solved, because  the wight would have killed her.

I mean, yes, we as viewers knew that Team Daenerys were the good guys. We knew, that Daenerys wouldn't murder Cersei that way, she plays by the rules. But Team Cersei didn't know that. For them Daenerys is a foreign usurper with a cookless army and savages.

But okay, Daenerys didn't go for her first chance, so why should she kill Cersei with a wight? What was her first chance? Well, when she arrived on Drogon, she could have easily landed the big dragon in the middle of the pit and burn Cersei and her group. There were only few Lannister soldiers (and no one with a bow as far as I have seen), so the risk was minimal. Of course, that's not the honorable way, but on the other side, this would minimize the bloodshed and casualties.

Oh yeah, so good guys do not murder they enemy when under parley. Instead they go to war and let thousands die for it. Quoting Brienne:

-"Fuck honor"-

20 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

No

Jon is the oldest son of the oldest son of Aerys. 

Dany is Aerys' youngest child. And I am not sure but I think for the Iron Throne all the male become before the female heirs, even when the female heirs are closer? Not sure about that.   

I still don't get how any of the Targs have a claim to the throne.  Aegon took the seven kingdoms by right of conquest, and then lost lost them to the Baratheons the same way.  Not really sure if the people consider Cercei a Baratheon or a Lannister but the show doesn't seem to really care about that anyway.  Seems to me the only way a Targ can claim the throne again is through conquest in which case birth doesn't matter.

The Littlefinger death annoyed me to no end honestly. I accepted he was going to die, but the way they handled it just screamed of pathetic fan service - Arya smugly with her hands behind her back, "My sister asked you a question," followed by LF completely breaking character and crying. Just too much. They've really turned the two Stark sisters into Sand Snakes.

I did like the Theon scenes although winning the fight with no balls was really really lame.

Not sure why exactly but I found the wall scene quite underwhelming too. I was really excited even though I knew what was going to happen but it just seemed really meh. Same goes for the Bran 'reveal' at the end. Not even gonna get started on the Daenerys/Jon stuff lol.

6 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

Oh yeah, so good guys do not murder they enemy when under parley. Instead they go to war and let thousands die for it.

That doesn't bother me that much, even if Dany arriving on the dragon was a dumb scene in my opinion. I was just pointing out that it was weird for the wight to go directly toward Cersei, as if he knew that she was the one he was supposed to impress :huh:

1 hour ago, The Bald Man Cries said:

No-one is gonna mention the sudden balls Theon grew and how he's eager to save his poor sister? :rolleyes:

Or the ones he lost. Apparently Ramsay took everything. 

But a knee in one's public bone three times should still hurt like shit.

10 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

I still don't get how any of the Targs have a claim to the throne.  Aegon took the seven kingdoms by right of conquest, and then lost lost them to the Baratheons the same way.  Not really sure if the people consider Cercei a Baratheon or a Lannister but the show doesn't seem to really care about that anyway.  Seems to me the only way a Targ can claim the throne again is through conquest in which case birth doesn't matter.

Baratheon gaining the throne by right of conquest didn't make the Targ lose their claim. There is a reason why Tywin ordered to murder little Aegon (the real one, not that Sand who took a little boy's name) and Rhaenys. It removed two claimants to the throne.

They also tried to legitimatize Robert on the throne through the fact he was one of Aegon V's greatgrandchildren. 

They decided to made him the headfigure of the rebellion because he had Targ blood, not Arryn who actually decide to rebel nor Ned whose family suffered under Aerys' decisions.

Robert Baratheon don't have any real heirs anymore. His brothers are dead and he never legitimized his bastards. 

You could say Tommen was Robert and Joffrey' heir because Robert did recognize Tommen in his life as his son and Cersei as his mother is Tommen's heir. 

You might even ask the question: what would happen if Jon is recognized as King of the 7K: would Dany be his heir as his aunt but Targ or Bran as his brother

11 hours ago, darmody said:

Cheryl's opinion or lackthereof on the subject of the dead made sense. She doesn't care. It doesn't really matter if she thinks it's a real threat or not, because her plan is the same either way: agree to the truce, get Jon to kneel if possible, stab them in the back when their attention is turned Northward. 

As for Urine, his playacting served no purpose far as I can see. Because apparently he didn't surprise-attack Dany's fleet again. It takes attention off the Iron Fleet and lures them into thinking Urine is a coward, which I guess can be to his advantage. Otherwise, I don't get it. 

You're not supposed to "get it." D&D sure as hell don't. They even had Cersei say "he's already sailing to Essos as we speak." Not like Dany won't notice 1000 or so ships, which she will fly directly over when she leaves King's Landing. Not like she won't notice them sailing East instead of South. <_<

Archived