[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

A rant and rave for me comes on the back of watching a few podcasts randomly. The topics had nothing to do with GOT's, but the topic came up. These are casual fans.

Quotes (pardon)

"DUUDE! DUUUDE! KHALEEEEEESI! I'm fing down for ANYTHING KHALEESI. She's so good man, she's so BADASS! Everything she does is so BADASS! "

"Man, I love the show, the MOTHER OF FING DRAGONS MAN! So BADASS! Everything she does is BADASS!"

"Arya is so BADASS. She's soooo BADASS."

D&D won the war because they knew their real audience.

8 minutes ago, MyLittleFinger said:

A rant and rave for me comes on the back of watching a few podcasts randomly. The topics had nothing to do with GOT's, but the topic came up. These are casual fans.

Quotes (pardon)

"DUUDE! DUUUDE! KHALEEEEEESI! I'm fing down for ANYTHING KHALEESI. She's so good man, she's so BADASS! Everything she does is so BADASS! "

"Man, I love the show, the MOTHER OF FING DRAGONS MAN! So BADASS! Everything she does is BADASS!"

Sad, but true. They write for window-lickers because their wages are earned through window-lickers. Artistic integrity is for eighth-grade book reports.

I should also add that unlike dumb Seasons Six and Seven, Season Five was also icky. In addition to the low and disgusting elements that have made the show known for its "realism" (for a fantasy series)--only the gross, cruel, violent, and vicious things in life count toward realism, by the way--Season Five got off on pulling us down into the muck and rubbing our noses in filth. Sansa and Ramsey: ick. The Walk of Shame: ick. Tyrion's alcoholism: ick. Cock merchants: ick. Daughter-murder: ick. (All of Stannis, actually: ick.) Dorne: double-ick. 

People who still unreservedly enjoyed watching the show after all that ickiness had battered wife syndrome. 

Oh, we also had a giant false cliffhanger which ruined one of the three most important characters. (Jon, the others being Dany and Tyrion, who was also ruined this year.) Despite the "will he or won't he" (be dead for realz) that played out in the media, did anyone on earth actually think Jon Snow would be gone? Was anyone under the impression that anything but the Red Witch would save him? Furthermore, given the fact that we now know it didn't change his character at all--except to free him from his Night's Watch vows--what was the point? Aside from cheap cliffhanger thrills? And to free him from his vows.

Which was necessary in order for him to march South in the face of the undead threat in order to join the oh-so important Winterfell plot. Which sucked. And to get him to fall in love with Dany, which really could've happened from his position of Lord Commander. Not that it would make sense for those two to interact if Jon was stuck at the Wall. But the whole Dragonstone storyline lacked sense anyway.

They abandoned the real advantage to Jon meeting Dany as King of the North, which was the possibility of a marriage alliance. I think Littlefinger may be the only character who even brought it up. 

On 9/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

*snip*

I read all of this and yeah, pretty much. Couple comments--

Lyanna- yeah, so she couldn't have, I don't know, mentioned this to someone? smh. Especially with Rhaegar and Tywin probably plotting a coup against the mad king. It kind of makes the war seem... insanely, aggressively stupid. To an actually insulting degree.

Jon Snow- So he's the lost prince raised under a secret name, who has always done his duty unfailingly, is saved by ex machinas at the rate of about 1 per season, and is now the rightful ruler of westeros? Okay. Just hope D&D realize how incredibly cliche that is.

And of course, what Alan Taylor said about the jetpacking raven/ Gendry/ dragon trio. Basically, "aw cute, you nerds actually care enough about the show to get angry about this. Losers! We're a super-successful show, paying attention to details is for nerds!" 

12 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yeah, there were always problems with each season, but  1-4 there was enough good stuff to hold the thing together. Season 5 was when it started to crumble because it could not be held together anymore.  I said emotional farewell to the show after season 5.

Agreed, season 5 was the beginning of the end, when it was no longer even remotely ASOIAF, they killed the last vestiges of the spirit of the books.

GRRM refers to the butterfly effect but they never cared enough for that, to try to keep things consistent with changes they had made. They just changed things randomly because "creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen." And the characters started to become their own mouthpieces, saying and doing what they would do. They haven't been telling a real story for a long time.

5 hours ago, TywinBestCharacter said:

And of course, what Alan Taylor said about the jetpacking raven/ Gendry/ dragon trio. Basically, "aw cute, you nerds actually care enough about the show to get angry about this. Losers! We're a super-successful show, paying attention to details is for nerds!" 

Yeah, this particular remark and the overall attitude pisses me off. Actually treating people with contempt for ever believing this show was worth any sort of active watching or semi-decent analysis. Don't they realise it was these nerds' spreading of the show by word of mouth that gave them the mouth-breathing, money-flinging audience they have now?

10 hours ago, MyLittleFinger said:

Quotes (pardon)

So true. It's so odd though that all these people spouting the #jonsnowreallytargkingoftehboatsex #menwritingtheirideaoffeminism and #tyrionyouresowittyandbronntoololyouguysshouldhaveyourownshow crap were people who were either drawn in by the initial quality of the show (whether that be the acting, dialogue, sets or just the quality of breasts (and buttocks to be fair)) or by someone referring them to watch the show due to the quality. And that quality has dropped and people still think it's the best thing since Breaking Bad (not to say that Breaking Bad is the best thing, but that's a topic for another board). Is it just the critical mass of the show that keeps people liking it, the fact that they can't go to work/school/whatever without people talking about it? Or are the people who now watch it are just in denial about how bad it has become?

I know people who will tear apart movies and other TVs shows on their dialogue, logic loops, modernity etc but still think GoT is the best show ever. And when you ask them why they like it, it's because they can just turn off and watch it, this show has never been about that though. If the show were about that people wouldn't complain about how they can't remember any of the characters' names. This show was always about paying attention, it's a drama ffs!

Just needed a rant, hence why we're all here.

14 hours ago, IceIceBaby said:

I am glad that Olenna is dead, tbh. She was getting quite annoying. 

As did pretty much any side character that had some meme-worthy aspect.

Bronn the mouthy commoner, the Hounds chicken jokes, Brienne & Tormund's "flirting", Lynna Mormont the sassy little girl, Pod's magic cock, ...

They see that something gets a few laughs from the audience and then mercilessly repeat it as often as possible. Like a child who had a funny mishap and then imitates that situation everytime people are around in a cringworthy slapstick performance.

12 hours ago, MyLittleFinger said:

"DUUDE! DUUUDE! KHALEEEEEESI!

Aaarrgh! I HATE people who call Daenerys by this title like it is a first name; “Khaleesi” did this, “Khaleesi” said that, etc.

For **** sake you don't have to be a hardcore fan to understand that's one of her titles, not her first name!

I guess kindergartens worldwide will soon see a bunch of “Khaleesi”…

Why are characters just now noticing and complaining about Jon being short? Is this supposed to be a running gag now or something? What was the writers' intention?

This season, it seems that we've had a lot of those weird moments that the writers/directers had to explain afterward. We're supposed to understand it just by watching, WITHOUT having it explained to us. 

1 hour ago, Nowy Tends said:

Aaarrgh! I HATE people who call Daenerys by this title like it is a first name; “Khaleesi” did this, “Khaleesi” said that, etc.

For **** sake you don't have to be a hardcore fan to understand that's one of her titles, not her first name!

I guess kindergartens worldwide will soon see a bunch of “Khaleesi”…

To be fair, I blame the show for this more than the people who were mistaken. It was such a widespread misunderstanding. The show failed to communicate her name early, then she becomes a Khaleesi within the 1st episode and then she had lots of scenes with Jorah saying "Khaleesi" a few times per minute. It's a fault of the show's IMO.

10 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Yeah, this particular remark and the overall attitude pisses me off. Actually treating people with contempt for ever believing this show was worth any sort of active watching or semi-decent analysis. Don't they realise it was these nerds' spreading of the show by word of mouth that gave them the mouth-breathing, money-flinging audience they have now?

I checked back on what I found on Alan Taylor's quotes:

We’ve got Gendry running back, ravens flying a certain distance, dragons having to fly back a certain distance…In terms of the emotional experience, [Jon and company] sort of spent one dark night on the island in terms of storytelling moments. We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there. I think that worked for some people, for other people it didn’t. They seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly but there’s a thing called plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. [...} It’s cool that the show is so important to so many people that it’s being scrutinized so thoroughly, [...] If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns.”

I do not know exactly why, but Alan seems to pick out two of the 200 examples of incoherencies/implausibilites in Season 7 only.

7 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

It's a nickname. Not a bad one, far as these things go. 

5 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Don't you know? Black is the new black!

Also, GRITTY™ is always dull and colourless! It's the rules, don't you know!

I just hope the boring Romulan costumes are out of fashion by the time Shitfest of Thrones returns for the last season. 

10 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I just hope the boring Romulan costumes are out of fashion by the time Shitfest of Thrones returns for the last season. 

Didn't the costume designers actually say they're SIGNIFICANT™ or something? That all black meant they're all united against the Dead or something?

Funny that they'd use funeral gear for that SYMBOLISM™, but hey, I'm not an emmy-award-winning writer.

10 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Didn't the costume designers actually say they're SIGNIFICANT™ or something? That all black meant they're all united against the Dead or something?

Funny that they'd use funeral gear for that SYMBOLISM™, but hey, I'm not an emmy-award-winning writer.

In that case, Cersei Team should wear yellow or red or whatsoever, but never black. And to make a point on the symbolism of colours, Jaime should change from Lannister red to black at the end of episode 7.

I don't know whats going on with Arya. I'm getting Dune type tinfoils with a certain baron and a core personality chance. It is just confusing.

And I just don't understand her any more. Arya was always big into justice with Needle as her anchor into happier times back in Winterfell (together with Jon ) and her death list as a punishment for those that did harm to her loved ones. And the responsible Freys missing on the list because she does not know who was involved.

Somehow this turned in Arya murdering all male Freys (why?). And then Winterfell happened. As far as I understand the death of Mycah and Lady have also never been resolved between Arya and Sansa. There is some big sister clash right there. But instead we get a fight for the completely pointless title of Lady of Winterfell while Bran is watching and doesn't care a bit.

And then Sansa sends Brienne to the meeting in Kings Landing. A meeting where Cercei and the Mountain are supposed to be. The reason why Arya traveled north and not south was because she heard Jon was in Winterfell. Guess who also participates in the meeting. And dragons are also there. Arya was always a big fan of Visenya (at least that was the impression in the show only scene with Tywin).

She even gets the voyage on a silver platter. Sansa wants to get rid of her and all Arya has to do is traveling with Brienne. It was never explicitly stated that she is allowed to travel with Brienne and Pot but that wouldn't stop Arya. 

And that is the point where my computer stops processing and my brain dies. All of Aryas connections and reasons for what she does are there [in KL] now.

Why ? Just why is Arya not traveling with Brienne to King's Landing to resolve all her issues  ?

Everything is there. She will arrive in time, she has protection and so on.

Instead pointless fighting with live steel, smiling when Littlefinger is killed, no swift killing, ignorance of guestright (maybe), ignorance of north traditions (swinging the sword...). It is an impression worthy of Joeffrey. Is the Waif Arya ? Is there a point for the Waif not rushing to King's Landing because the target on her kill list is neither there nor in Winterfell ? And the only known character of any magnitude in the story neither there nor in Winterfell is Melisandre. It has been tinfoiled many times that Arya will kill Melisandre. It would make a lot of sense within the story if "all men must die" is connected to the Others.

Is the Waif Arya or is this just b******t writing ?

But if it is the Waif, why the Freys ? I'm confused.

Archived