[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Not saying I agree with everything (the Brienne and Pod stuff is off, he doesn't get all the character connections that will play out) but here's a "how to do it better" video (part 1 anyway):

Well, that's an improvement over the Season 7 we were given. 

12 hours ago, MrJay said:

Why even be there then? 

He could have just left and no one would be aware of what his intentions were. Even if they found out he went to essos, it could be for anything. 

And remember, that's if they knew where he was heading. There was no point to the act. None at all. It made no sense in universe. 

Also:. Anyone find it weird/sweet how he is sticking by cersei? The guy must really want her. For a supposedly insane uncaring guy, he's standing by her when she is basically finished and still trying to marry her. Not murder her as he did his brother, but marry her. 

Confirmed. Euron is in love with Cersei and wants go have a family if one eyed krakens with lion manes. Lol

Euron's motivation is, to put it mildly, strange. He was all ready to sail off to Essos and pledge fealty to the dragon queen. Then, a couple of his relatives stole some ships, and he decided that he has this thing for a woman who, as far as I know, he has never seen before. What's worse is that we are supposed to believe that he could convince a bunch of pirate guys to follow him on the enterprise that we see. They have this humongous fleet, they sail all the way around a continent, passing up lots of tempting targets, and they offer their services to a woman who is the current occupant of the Iron Throne. These guys are sailing wooden ships, and they are offering to fight against a foe that has 3 fire breathing monsters. They are doing this because their leader has the hots for said current occupant.

Frankly, it isn't much of a challenge to improve on the "logic" of Season 7. 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, Le Cygne said:

Not saying I agree with everything (the Brienne and Pod stuff is off, he doesn't get all the character connections that will play out) but here's a "how to do it better" video (part 1 anyway):

I stated a thread entitled "A More Plausible War." A discussion of the above video would fit into my thread. If anyone is interested, you can use the link below.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/148777-a-more-plausible-war/

Guest TheRealKingInTheNorth
On 10/19/2017 at 10:00 AM, Jump The Shark said:

this season is the worst. idk how ppl enjoy it.

Not when 5 & 6 exist.

My continued enjoyment of the show is a matter of some interest to me. One factor is a sort of inertia. I really liked the first few seasons, the latter seasons less so. Nevertheless, I still found value in many elements. Also, I had become invested in some of the characters and situations. I want to see how things turn out. There's a feeling of "I've come this far, so I'll keep going on." I'll watch season eight, in part to see how the show runners bring the story to an end. I may not like the ending, but I want to know what it is. This is not the only reason I maintain an interest in GoT, but it's part of it. 

Someone described the show as 'still fun' to me yesterday. My response was it used to be a show I would anticipate and look forward to. Now Its the sort of show I would have on in the background and barely pay attention to. A bit like 'Arrow' or 'The Flash'.. something you don't need to be paying attention to to even understand. That shows how downhill its gone.

7 hours ago, Eggegg said:

Someone described the show as 'still fun' to me yesterday. My response was it used to be a show I would anticipate and look forward to. Now Its the sort of show I would have on in the background and barely pay attention to. A bit like 'Arrow' or 'The Flash'.. something you don't need to be paying attention to to even understand. That shows how downhill its gone.

Lol

I haven't watched most of the last two seasons, only selected episodes, after the first run so I know what to expect or avoid, so I can't say that I really "enjoy" anything about the show, it became so bad that I couldn't even enjoy ranting about it's weaknesses and stupidity.  I am only waiting for The End, to find out what happens to the main characters, and since I don't think that end will ever come from the creator of the world of Westeros, I have to make due with the showrunners version.

9 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I haven't watched most of the last two seasons, only selected episodes, after the first run so I know what to expect or avoid, so I can't say that I really "enjoy" anything about the show, it became so bad that I couldn't even enjoy ranting about it's weaknesses and stupidity.  I am only waiting for The End, to find out what happens to the main characters, and since I don't think that end will ever come from the creator of the world of Westeros, I have to make due with the showrunners version.

I'm not sure I even feel the need to get to the end any more. I mean what is the point of finding out what happens if the path they took to get there is so cheap and empty. I'd get more out of just reading a wiki page about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't not watch the end - I've invested 7 years (more) wondering how this thing is going to resolve. It will probably disappoint the fuck out of me - but you know when you are in too deep, you can't walk away, you have to see it all through to the bitter end.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 1:10 AM, ummester said:

I can't not watch the end - I've invested 7 years (more) wondering how this thing is going to resolve. It will probably disappoint the fuck out of me - but you know when you are in too deep, you can't walk away, you have to see it all through to the bitter end.

Kind of like watching a car crash?

D&D said they were doing Westeros 2.0, and the only spoilers were - Shireen burns, Hodor's Hold the Door, and The End. Whatever that is.

Think Chekhov's Volcano. Dragonmont or Winterfell. Take your pick or flip a coin.

1 hour ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Kind of like watching a car crash?

D&D said they were doing Westeros 2.0, and the only spoilers were - Shireen burns, Hodor's Hold the Door, and The End. Whatever that is.

Think Chekhov's Volcano. Dragonmont or Winterfell. Take your pick or flip a coin.

D&D explicitly stated this? Do you have have a link or recollection where they said this?

On 07/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, Starkistbeforethedawn said:

D&D explicitly stated this? Do you have have a link or recollection where they said this?

For the "three shocking twists" that GRRM gave them in the famous 2013 outline meeting, see this interview with Entertainment Weekly. These were indeed Shireen's fate, Hodor's name and the ending. Likewise, from when they officially surpassed the books, they made it clear that S6 would not spoil the books. This may even mean that even though Hodor's name reveal would be the same, the context of how it happens might be drastically different. We can safely assume S7 didn't really spoil anything because so much of it piggy-backed off of S6, and at least the majority of S8 probably won't be like the aside from some big reveal at the end.

25 minutes ago, Faera said:

For the "three shocking twists" that GRRM gave them in the famous 2013 outline meeting, see this interview with Entertainment Weekly. These were indeed Shireen's fate, Hodor's name and the ending. Likewise, from when they officially surpassed the books, they made it clear that S6 would not spoil the books. This may even mean that even though Hodor's name reveal would be the same, the context of how it happens might be drastically different. We can safely assume S7 didn't really spoil anything because so much of it piggy-backed off of S6, and at least the majority of S8 probably won't be like the aside from some big reveal at the end.

That is an interesing quote:

“People are talking about whether the books are going to be spoiled — and it’s really not true,” Benioff told EW. “So much of what we’re doing diverges from the books at this point. And while there are certain key elements that will be the same, we’re not going to talk so much about that — and I don’t think George is either. People are going to be very surprised when they read the books after the show. They’re quite divergent in so many respects for the remainder of the show.”

will be interesting to see what those key elements are that will be the same when its all said and done.... if george ever finishes the books. 

“is from the very end”

not sure if this means the ending itself is a shocking twist or if the third shocking twist happens at the end... i.e. during the last episode 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

not sure if this means the ending itself is a shocking twist or if the third shocking twist happens at the end... i.e. during the last episode 

The wording, "from the ending", indicates to me that it is an aspect rather than the whole ending itself. Again, I doubt GRRM would have told them the ACTUAL full ending because... why would he want a TV show he has no control over blow all his ideas? So, he gave them an outline and probably those three "twists" that he didn't mind them revealing ahead of time.

It might even be that it was agreed between D&D and GRRM what could be revealed and what would be changed. Really, they had no choice but to make things up after they blew through all of ADwD.

Archived