[Poll] How would you rate episode 707?

Ran

How would you rate episode 707?  

425 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I rarely post, but I’m finding the discussion of the Season 7 finale pretty interesting.  I gave the episode a 4 – not god awful, but there were enough serious flaws that I simply couldn’t rate it any higher.  I guess I could argue that my rating is a bit generous, but I think I’ve started to grade on a bit of curve since the show moved the beyond books.  I’ve gotten used to the “turbo paced/character development light” approach that the show has adopted – and this episode was a “marginal” episode in that vein.

There are plenty of posts identifying the episodes shortcomings, but a few of the things that gave me real problems –

1.  The pointless unraveling of Sam’s story.  He leaves the Citadel in a huff after a year???  When he went there to be a master, did he think he was taking a correspondence course?  Becoming a master takes years and is effectively a lifetime commitments – but a few months in he throws up his hands and just leaves.  To make matters worse, this episode reduces him to a vehicle for ham-handed exposition.  The whole fireside chat, when Bran’s magic visions and Sam’s (well Gilly’s) coincidental discovery all come together, is as contrived as it could be.

2.  The plot to kill LF.  I liked the idea of the Stark sister team-up and I liked the idea of taking in the ultimate schemer with a counter-scheme.   But all of the tension between the sisters is based on conversations they had when they were alone!!  So it makes no sense to believe that they were setting up LF.  So really, the only folks that were tricking were the audience.  That’s not clever – that’s just cheap.

3.  I liked the Tyrion/Cersei scene, but they completely copped out by not showing the critical exchange in which Tyrion supposedly convinced Cersei to join the cause.

4. Theon reprising the fight scene from Cool Hand Luke (poorly)

There are more, but there were just too many “doh” moments for this to be anything other than a mediocre episode.

6 hours ago, johndance said:

They are just trolling to illicit a response from people... general rule is to just ignore these types of posts as your reaction is what their goal is. 

Agree.  It always boils down to a version of the following:

"Hurr-durr, look at how smart I am.  D&D ruined muh ASoIaF...Everyone who disagrees with me and/or likes the show is like a mindless zombie who should be exterminated!"

Edited by Son_of_Feanor

Gave it an 8. I was satisfied overall except for some moments.

Like:

1. "The Robert's rebellion was built on a lie"-out of nowhere, Aerys' insanity doesn't count and it's only the Lyanna "abduction" left on.

2. Theon fighting with the other Ironborn,

3. Making obvious that the actor who plays Bronn doesn't get to be with Cersei (Lena) in the same scene, so he says something like "Come on Pod, we have to go"?? No they didn't! There were people of all kinds there, not sure why there weren't good enough to attend. Could've just make a scene without them and drop that part out.

4. Rhaegar looked the same as Viserys. 

5. Did it have to be Aegon?

So those are the small negatives, but overall was good and long enough, I like that Jaime finally left, Euron and Cersei being themselves, the last scene where the Night King looks very powerful now and has a lot of followers, good for him. 

13 minutes ago, Ncgunner said:

I rarely post, but I’m finding the discussion of the Season 7 finale pretty interesting.  I gave the episode a 4 – not god awful, but there were enough serious flaws that I simply couldn’t rate it any higher.  I guess I could argue that my rating is a bit generous, but I think I’ve started to grade on a bit of curve since the show moved the beyond books.  I’ve gotten used to the “turbo paced/character development light” approach that the show has adopted – and this episode was a “marginal” episode in that vein.

There are plenty of posts identifying the episodes shortcomings, but a few of the things that gave me real problems –

1.  The pointless unraveling of Sam’s story.  He leaves the Citadel in a huff after a year???  When he went there to be a master, did he think he was taking a correspondence course?  Becoming a master takes years and is effectively a lifetime commitments – but a few months in he throws up his hands and just leaves.  To make matters worse, this episode reduces him to a vehicle for ham-handed exposition.  The whole fireside chat, when Bran’s magic visions and Sam’s (well Gilly’s) coincidental discovery all come together, is as contrived as it could be.

2.  The plot to kill LF.  I liked the idea of the Stark sister team-up and I liked the idea of taking in the ultimate schemer with a counter-scheme.   But all of the tension between the sisters is based on conversations they had when they were alone!!  So it makes no sense to believe that they were setting up LF.  So really, the only folks that were tricking were the audience.  That’s not clever – that’s just cheap.

3.  I liked the Tyrion/Cersei scene, but they completely copped out by not showing the critical exchange in which Tyrion supposedly convinced Cersei to join the cause.

4. Theon reprising the fight scene from Cool Hand Luke (poorly)

There are more, but there were just too many “doh” moments for this to be anything other than a mediocre episode.

Totally agree with all of this.

4 hours ago, Snormund said:

I'm getting really sick of people saying it doesn't matter if an aunt fucks her nephew. 

If they have kids there is a strong chance they will be defective. 

Oh, come on.  Royal european houses had endogamous marriages all the time in the real world,  it was a common practice. It is still a common practice in some societies, and most important,  this is a fictional world. 
Dany and Jon are not siblings, they are not mother and son, and those are the true incestuos relationships. 
Aunt and nephew have the same consanguinity rate as the real king Louis XIV had with his wife (double first cousins), and nobody thought it was weird. Many centuries before, Abraham and Sara were half-siblings, they had the same father, and nobody thought it was weird.
 Right and wrong varies over time and cultures. So please, don't try to impose your viewpoint about what's right and wrong to the whole viewership. Or do it if you want, but you should be ready to see that many people don't share your concerns.

Edited by LucyMormont

2 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

Oh, come on.  Royal european houses had endogamous marriages all the time in the real world,  it was a common practice. It is still a common practice in some societies, and most important,  this is a fictional world. 
Dany and Jon are not siblings, they are not mother and son, and those are the true incestuos relationships. 
Aunt and nephew have the same consanguinity rate as the real king Louis XIV had with his wife (double first cousins), and nobody thought it was weird. Many centuries before, Abraham and Sara were half-siblings, they had the same father, and nobody thought it was weird.
 Right and wrong varies over time and cultures. So please, don't try to imposs your viewpoint about what's right and wrong to the whole viewership. Or do it if you want, but you should be ready to see that many people don't share your concerns.

and how many rulers throughout history born of incest were psycho? 

Exactly. 

So I tried rating the way some people do by adding points for what I liked & subtracting them for what I didn't but I ended up in the negative & since I don't feel like it sucked that bad I'm just gonna stick to the way I always rate them.

Things I liked: 

- Some of the dialogue, specifically between Sandor & Brienne, Sandor talking to Gregor, Tyrion & Bronn.  It was purely for entertainment though, it did nothing for the plot unless you believe The Hound talking to his big bro is foreshadowing the Clegane Bowl - which it very well may be. 

- Arya & Sansa: I was frustrated with this whole plot & felt like it was only there to add screen time for WF BUT I liked the way it turned out. I hoped D&D were not having LF fool the Stark's again but didn't put it past them. I thought LF didn't act the greatest but loved Arya & Sansa. 

- the WW reveal - Cersei being stunned was nice.

- Sam when Bran told him he is the 3ER. "Oh!... I don't know what that is." 

- Theon: I think having him turn back into Reek was idiotic but I got chills when he continued to take his ass whooping & get back up to eventually win the fight. Could have done without the reminder that he has no man hood though. 

- Jon being his "fathers" son even though he isn't really

- Dany & Jon: I really, really thought I wasn't going to like the two of them together but I think D&D did it well. It was subtle, as slow moving as it could be in this short season. I liked that they said nothing to each other before going to "bed" 

Things I didnt like:

- the meeting to reveal the WW. I enjoyed the actual reveal but I feel like an opportunity was missed here. I was really looking forward to some good dialogue between Dany & Cersei & there was none. 

- Tyrion & Jaime you couldn't even tell the two of them had any affection for each other. It was dry & rushed. 

- Tyrion going in to talk to Cersei. Why would she not kill him? Maybe because she has 2 dragons out side? I don't know but the conversation seemed to add nothing & I usually really love the two of them together

- Cersei in general. Lena is amazing but really came off as flat & uninterested, unemotional this episode. 

- The big reveal being... the same exact big reveal of last season?! Wtf??? I don't mind Bran telling Sam about Jon & adding his real name & the fact that Rhaegar & Lyanna were married was nice but that shouldn't have been this seasons "surprise" because it was last seasons "surprise" I would have accepted it much better if this season was Bran finally telling Jon what he knows. 

- Bran not knowing R&L were married? 

- No Ghost this entire season?!

- No reunion with Jon/Arya/Bran 

Overall I wasn't completely disappointed & rated a 6 which is on the low side for me. 

torn between 9 and 10.

Not best of the season, that was when Drogon burnt the Lannisters. But very enjoyable, with a few piches of salt.

Cersei not being impressed was very foreseeable. Every one in this forum said a wight for Cersei is stupid. At last Jamie decided to walk away. But I would have liked it better if Ser Gregor would have cut him in half. Would have felt like Game of Thrones and not like Hollywood with him riding away while it starts to snow.

Liked Littlefinger's demise, good presentation. Even though Littlefinger was always my favourite character, the Stark kids proved to be too much.

Wall coming down was lil anticlimatic. What breath is it Viserion has? Fire? Did not look like it? Frost breath? Why would the wall collapse then. And what about Tormund and Beric? Don't they deserve a death scene? Or are they going to jump at from a rubble of ice and outride the army of the dead to be the only 2 characters surviving the attack? Ya, they wanted to show the dragon is powerful. But I would have liked another way of punching the wall MUCH better than just melting it by dragon...

Overall, good entertainment, nice to see some characters interact. The wait starts now, and it will be gruesome. Hopefully the fat man delivers Winds in 2018...

7 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

First, not all ranters agree on what they dislike.

Secondly, the issue is more with regards to overall pacing:

• set-up was epi 5, and that was rushed
  • then epi 6 we have character dialogue and action but so drawn out, with so much timeline fudging and faux-drama except for Viserion's death and Thoros being grabbed by a bear,
  • finale minutae of everyone's face at the dragonpit meeting, with a flip-flopping Cersei for a plotline that made pretty much all of S7 pointless and after dragging their feet for seasons on LF's undoing a hasty dispatch. Most of the finale dialogue, especially KL related added very little, and was some version of what we already saw. It hardly showed character progress, or long overdue. Tyrion still tries to reason with Cersei, trying to get her to admit that he's not horrible after all, and Cersei blames him as much as she did in S2. Did we see or hear anything that could not just have been plucked out of Tyrion's time as Hand in KL? No. Jaime's convo with Cersei should have happened last season or start of this season. Keeping characters stationary for 3 seasons and then finally show progress of what should have happened seasons before is not fully rewarding dialogue. And the last issue also exists for Sansa at WF with regards LF. Brienne Hound convo was one of the few convos that actually followed a line of progress: Brienne sort of admitting that she messed up, giving feedback to the Hound about Arya, and the Hound giving a hint of pride as if she was a daughter to him. 
  • The battle of Spoils of Wars worked far better than the dragged out Beyond the Wall battle. I actually found the dialogue of epi 6 superior to 5 and 7.

The criticism seems contradictory only on the surface. But the fundamental all-rounding criticism is that the quality of pacing and dialogue is various and often at the wrong moment.

In the spirit of Jon Snow, let's be honest.  This forum existed long before the show and is well known for being the most fanatical ASOIAF and GRRM fan site on the internet.

The moment GRRM seemed to distance himself from the show, so did a lot of people on this forum.

Most of the rants are instantly dismissible because they're either extremely petty or obviously from posters who are extremely bitter that one of their favourite stories is being spoiled (in their eyes ruined) before the books finish the series.  They have it in for the show and will never give the show any credit.  The sad thing is that many of them seem to make it their mission to try their hardest to prejudice other people against the show also.  To what aim, I have no idea.  I personally think it's all rather pathetic.

Far far far better than last weeks episode which was a relief. 

Favorite parts.

The reveal of the wight.

Theon's redemption fight. I've seen plenty of people who didn't enjoy it and found the fighting dumb, but I found it satisfying seeing him finally overcome his fears. Pouring the salt water on his face obviously emphasizing his rebirth. What is dead may never die.

Jamie and Cersei conversation, Having not seen the leaks unlike you lot, I actually thought Cersei was going to have Jamie killed. That would have been some shocker. Great acting by both once again especially Lena who may currently be the best actor of the show. 

Parts I wasn't a fan of.

The Theon and Jon conversation. This whole scene was unnecessary. I don't want to see Jon just forgive Theon for betraying Robb and killing sr Rodrick. Then to call him part Stark was just ridiculous.

Littlefingers death. Now the scene wasn't actually that bad apart from maybe his pathetic crying at the end. Its just that it leaves a sour taste after being one of the most interesting and intelligent characters for 4 seasons to be reduced to this. It seems ever since he sold Sansa to the Boltons, which made no sense, his character has been on a downward spiral ever since. 

Sam - Similar to Littlefinger his scene with bran wasn't bad but I just feel his whole season has been such a let down and doesn't make much sense either. He went all the way to the Citadel to find out that there was dragonglass on Dragonstone that would kill white walkers which he already knew from season 5. Why not stay there and find out more important stuff. but oh well.

Was a bit confused at how the dragon took out the whole wall but I'm sure I'll find an answer.

The boat sex scene was alright albeit carried by Kit Harrington's muscle bottom.

Did Rhaegar forget he already had a child called Aegon??? I suppose Lyanna named him. But surely she would also know that Rhaegar had another son called Aegon. Just seem like some comically lazy writing.

Overall I'd give the episode a 7 which is 4 more than last week. A satisfying closure to a mixed season for me.

Great episode!

So here are some of my thoughts:

- I really liked seeing Sandor get in Gregor's face. I keep wanting to call him Robert Strong.

- The Theon scene was awesome. I guess being a eunuch is helpful after all.

- LF getting called out & killed was awesome. I knew they were playing him. It's nice to see Bran be used more too.

- Sam! I like how when everyone meets Bran they're all "...Yeah okay." We all knew that was coming or suspected it that R+L=J. I was earlier today thinking if you were a casual viewer or only a show fan how important that'd be for you. I liked it.

- Finally Jaime got some guts. He was starting to resemble an Unsullied.

- That end!!!!!!! I don't want to wait a year! HBO you are cruel.

10/10

19 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Another amazing episode, obvious 10 vote for me.

The Tyrion/Cersei negotiation was riveting diplomacy, I really enjoyed the tension in the Kings Landing scenes, also Dani upstaging Cersei with that entrance lol. Cersei, Jon, Jamie, the Hound, Theon, everyone was played brilliantly.

Only KL regret was not enough lines to go around, wouldve been nice to hear more from Davos and Missandei

19 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Winterfell

My favorite scenes from Winterfell in quite some time. I thought Arya and Sansa were brilliant. Seeing the two sisters finally come together, literally made the hair rise on my neck, er goosebumps or whatever the epression is, I was feeling that. Also I thought it was cool to see Bran really evolving as the 3eyedRaven.

House Stark rocked this episode, the 2 sisters fully realize they are stronger together and they  have embraced Brans mystic ability.

I really loved this episode.

Ditto!

28 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

In the spirit of Jon Snow, let's be honest.  This forum existed long before the show and is well known for being the most fanatical ASOIAF and GRRM fan site on the internet.

The moment GRRM seemed to distance himself from the show, so did a lot of people on this forum.

Most of the rants are instantly dismissible because they're either extremely petty or obviously from posters who are extremely bitter that one of their favourite stories is being spoiled (in their eyes ruined) before the books finish the series.  They have it in for the show and will never give the show any credit.  The sad thing is that many of them seem to make it their mission to try their hardest to prejudice other people against the show also.  To what aim, I have no idea.  I personally think it's all rather pathetic.

This quote perfectly encapsulates what's going on in this forum. Ridiculous, petty stuff. As a book reader since 96 and long time theoriser on this board and its many previous iterations I am delighted to be seeing the resolution of so many story threads. Jon is Aegon Targaryen and legitimate heir, Sansa was on to little finger and has disposed of him, there is an ice dragon, the wall has come down, jaime has left cersei and gone north, and much more. Be in no doubt that George gave them these plot points. This is what he intends to happen. George will never finish these books at current pace. Having the story finished by the most spectacular tv show in history is to be welcomed. Compare it to the vast bulk of rubbish that constitutes most tv! This is a gem! 10! 10!

Edited by Valandil
Spelling

I gave it a 9. It was definitely my favourite episode of the season. As I generally dislike episodes which only concentrate on battle and neglect the story and the characters I was positively surprised by this one. In contrary to many other moments in this season, especially last week's episode with the giant plot holes, the plot seemed rather good to me this time and the characters behaved like they should.

The meeting in the dragon pit: I really liked how they did the meeting. Beforehand I was afraid that they wound show the wight moving a bit and everyone in Cersei's party would say something like "Oh, doesn't seem so very dangerous..." but it was rather convincing. I already thought that Cersei would not recognise the threat and see it as an opportunity to get rid of her enemies as well but I don't understand the people lamenting that there are no surprises. Yes, Cersei's reaction was predictable but if you were surprised by every action she does she wouldn't have a character anymore. And Jon wouldn't be Jon anymore if he wasn't as honest as Ned.

Jaime/Cersei parting: Very convincing as well how Jaime was torn between the loyalty to his sister and his honour.

Littlefinger's trial: The show managed to surprise me. When Arya was brought in I really thought Sansa had gone back to trusting people she shouldn't trust. Awesome.

Sam + Bran talking: Generally I liked the scene but Jon's name being Aegon is just stupid. And I didn't like that Rhaegar looked like an older version of Viserys. But on the other hand I always had a very clear picture of Rhaegar in my head and probably there is no actor that would have been satisfying.

Jon/Dany: Well, we could see it coming. But I liked that they didn't make such a big deal of it.

Wall falling: While I still grieve for Viserion the scene was well done and the cliffhanger annoyed me to no end (that is no criticism, cliffhangers should annoy) especially because it will be such a long wait.

20 hours ago, Aemon Targaryen said:

sum total of season is absolutely nothing new was learnt

so this makes the finale a 2/10 for me 

9/10 for me.

A good deal new was learned--Jon's true name, Cersei's plan with Euron, what happens when the NK reanimates a dragon, how The Wall looks tumbling down, what it looks like when KINT and his aunt bump nasties, and how LF dies.  All that coupled with the great Dragon Pitt scene/reunions and you've got a winning episode in my book.

19 hours ago, bullterrier0 said:

Strongest army in Essos is what she said.

I guess technically now that the Dothraki are on Westeros that's true.

18 hours ago, Cron said:

Best scene:  "3 Starks Gang Up on LF and Cross Him Off."

It felt like it came 3 episodes too late. Basically the whole LF/Arya/Sansa plot was drawn out drama that was well telegraphed and led to a very predictable conclusion. The whole dagger plot was just glossed over in the litany of LF's crimes. It felt a bit anticlimactic. It's a subpar scene in terms of writing compared to S1-5; however, in terms of performance, it is on point. And with all that being said, I liked seeing the Starks score a win. 

8 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Having read all the posts seeming to imply that only stupid idiots would like this episode, alas, I liked this episode.  As a book reader, it comes nowhere close.  But there is no book.  There is this show and I really liked what happened.  I actually would give it a 9 but since it is the last one, I gave it the only 10 this season.  Characters acted pretty much as they should.  I liked LF being outed, but I wish Sansa had killed him.  As I think of it, has Sansa killed anyone????  I liked all 3 Starks at the meeting hall.  Knowing that Cersei was acting in concert with Euron, without Jaime's knowledge, pretty much tells us the baby is Euron's (if there is a baby at all).  Jaime leaving on his own let us hope that he is finding his own way to rightness.  Jon didn't lie because he just doesn't, Ned 2.0 doesn't lie. Theon's attempts to reclaim himself were appreciated and I hope he saves Yara.  Jon and Dany was pretty well done.  The filming was not so tight that we had to see every expression but we did get Jon's face with Bran was telling us that we were looking at the true claimant to the throne.  

The one moment that gave me pause was Tyrion outside the hall in the boat, knowing (I guess) that Jon and Dany were together.  Was he sad because he loves Dany or was he happy that his 'secret' plan (jon and dany marrying) is working out or was it something else entirely?

You've pretty much stated all that I feel too. Its not the books , but its still really enjoyable TV. Sure some of the dialogue this season has not been great etc , but its still really watchable.

I'm doubting the pregnancy now. 

I actually loved the look on Brans face during Lf's ' trial' .