[Poll] How would you rate episode 707?

Ran

How would you rate episode 707?  

425 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

On 1/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, Lost Time said:

I like to wait a bit before I rate an episode (unless it was clearly a 10/10 or 1/10) to let it digest and such. So, after having let it sit for almost a week, I'd rate this episode a 6/10. Barely above-average. The reason it's not lower is purely due to Tyrion/Cersei convo, wight demonstration which I liked mostly, and the wall coming down. Oh, and Jaime finally climbing out of Cersei's crotch. Overall it was fairly predictable, but its lows aren't as low as some other episodes this season. 

But if I were to rate the season as a whole, it's definitely getting a 4/10. Probably the 2nd worst season of the show after S5.

I agree with th bolded

13 minutes ago, Talking Hodor said:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_King

There is totally a NK in the books! We haven't seen him yet, and he may a legend, but he's definitely mentioned multiple times.

He's mentioned alright, but he's nothing like the NK from the show.

In any case, it's interesting that from the book we know more about a legendary figure from he past, than we know from the show about what is arguably the main villain of the show (Night's King).

2 hours ago, Talking Hodor said:

There is totally a NK in the books! We haven't seen him yet, and he may a legend, but he's definitely mentioned multiple times.

That's the Night's King who was a man and 13th LC of the Watch (so post-dating the White Walkers) of whom GRRM says:

“In the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder,” Martin writes on his Not-A-Blog, “And no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.”

The show has the Night King, the original White Walker - a completely different concept.

2 hours ago, Talking Hodor said:

I meant there is no NK at present in the books. There's only a legendary Lord Commander of the Nigth's Watch who took what may be a WW-female to wife, and that guy was dealt with.

• 2 weeks later...

All the bitchin' that goes on in this forum, yet we still end up with 62.61% rating the finale as good or very good, versus 24.24% who rated it poor or very poor.

I know some of you hate the show, but you are in the minority. That doesn't make you superior, it doesn't make you wrong. But quit acting like yours is the only valid opinion.

GoT fucking rules. The story is fantastic, well put together and wonderful TV. D & D deserve all plaudits that come their way. Only person to come out of all this poorly is Grrm for not finishing the books before the series finished. And I do think it won't be much different. Hate the show all you want, George is likely to have had far more input than you assume.

16 hours ago, FacelessManOf TheShire said:

All the bitchin' that goes on in this forum, yet we still end up with 62.61% rating the finale as good or very good, versus 24.24% who rated it poor or very poor.

I know some of you hate the show, but you are in the minority. That doesn't make you superior, it doesn't make you wrong. But quit acting like yours is the only valid opinion.

GoT fucking rules. The story is fantastic, well put together and wonderful TV. D & D deserve all plaudits that come their way. Only person to come out of all this poorly is Grrm for not finishing the books before the series finished. And I do think it won't be much different. Hate the show all you want, George is likely to have had far more input than you assume.

Hahahahaha dude get with the fucking program, everyone in hollywood knows this season was utter shite.  The irony of the Sam montage is real.  Even adult swim took a shot at GOT and good fucking on them, someone needs to tell them to get their act together.

Edited by The Dragon has three heads

On 14/09/2017 at 4:31 PM, FacelessManOf TheShire said:

The story is fantastic, well put together and wonderful TV. D & D deserve all plaudits that come their way. George is likely to have had far more input than you assume.

You have got to be kidding, it's trolling right?!

George has no input, zero, just a few clues on where he was planning to get, way back.

The story this season is fantastic?! Well put together?! 

It makes no sense, it's all a bag of dick jokes. That people don't care and say they were entertained is one thing, to say fantastic story is another, completely ridiculous thing, for all the reasons people said and more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 5:06 PM, Dragonslack said:

You have got to be kidding, it's trolling right?!

George has no input, zero, just a few clues on where he was planning to get, way back.

The story this season is fantastic?! Well put together?! 

It makes no sense, it's all a bag of dick jokes. That people don't care and say they were entertained is one thing, to say fantastic story is another, completely ridiculous thing, for all the reasons people said and more.

That's subjective isn't it? Considering that D&D have no source material and are working on fumes, I would say that whatever they've put out is quite "fantastic" considering the circumstances. It's pretty clear that George R.R. Martin has a bit of writer's block with A Song of Ice and Fire and it's incredibly complex narrative, making one wonder whether or not he'll finish the series at all. Yeah, there were parts that didn't make sense but after 6 years of watching this series, and 20 years of reading the book, I'm glad that there's some resolution however botched it may be.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:18 AM, Mother Cocanuts said:

That's subjective isn't it? Considering that D&D have no source material and are working on fumes, I would say that whatever they've put out is quite "fantastic" considering the circumstances. It's pretty clear that George R.R. Martin has a bit of writer's block with A Song of Ice and Fire and it's incredibly complex narrative, making one wonder whether or not he'll finish the series at all. Yeah, there were parts that didn't make sense but after 6 years of watching this series, and 20 years of reading the book, I'm glad that there's some resolution however botched it may be.

If this garbage of a show can ever be confused with the resolution of ASOIAF, then something's very wrong with this world.

4 hours ago, StepStark said:

If this garbage of a show can ever be confused with the resolution of ASOIAF, then something's very wrong with this world.

It isn't garbage; it's the product of a story that I believe has become so complex that the author of the series on which it based has no idea how to bridge the current point of his story and his ending. He said that there are just two books left yet, yet there are so many story lines left up in the air, i.e. Dorne plots like Doran's, Arianne's and Quentin's, Greyjoy plots like Theon's, Euron's and Victarion's, Stark Plots like Sansa's, Jon's, Bran's, and Arya's, Lannister Plots like Tyrion's, Jamie's and Cerseis, and there's peripheral plots like Varys, Littlefinger, the Maester's, the Faceless Men, the Golden Company, the Iron Bank, the White Walkers so forth and so on. It's a lot to handle; and while I wish that the show would have showed some care to certain plots--obviously Dorne's--a part of me appreciates that they've simply streamlined the process rather than writing themselves into corners. I don't blame them as much as I blame Martin for taking his sweet ass time. And remember, Martin has told D&D the ending of the story, so I very well in fact think that the ending of Game of Thrones will be similar if not identical to the ending of ASOIAF, if Martin lives long enough to write the ending to the series.

I gave the finale a 10. It was a great way to end the season and a big step up from the two previous episodes. All in all, this wasn't my favorite season, but it wasn't my least favorite either. I still liked it better than seasons 3 and 5. The first four episodes were very strong, with the Frey massacre, Nymeria's return, the pardoning of Houses Umber and Karstark, Dany meeting Jon, Tyene's and Olenna's deaths, the Field of Fire, etc. Also, Euron Greyjoy was a vast improvement over last season. However, Eastwatch and Beyond the Wall brought the season down. Eastwatch was rushed with too many plot points happening all at once and they could have done a much better job selling the wight hunt idea. Luckily, the Dragon and the Wolf bounced back and delivered my second favorite finale, after Winds of Winter. This season wasn't the best, but it was still very enjoyable and high quality and is the best television show so far this year.

3 hours ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

It isn't garbage; it's the product of a story that I believe has become so complex that the author of the series on which it based has no idea how to bridge the current point of his story and his ending. He said that there are just two books left yet, yet there are so many story lines left up in the air, i.e. Dorne plots like Doran's, Arianne's and Quentin's, Greyjoy plots like Theon's, Euron's and Victarion's, Stark Plots like Sansa's, Jon's, Bran's, and Arya's, Lannister Plots like Tyrion's, Jamie's and Cerseis, and there's peripheral plots like Varys, Littlefinger, the Maester's, the Faceless Men, the Golden Company, the Iron Bank, the White Walkers so forth and so on. It's a lot to handle; and while I wish that the show would have showed some care to certain plots--obviously Dorne's--a part of me appreciates that they've simply streamlined the process rather than writing themselves into corners. I don't blame them as much as I blame Martin for taking his sweet ass time. And remember, Martin has told D&D the ending of the story, so I very well in fact think that the ending of Game of Thrones will be similar if not identical to the ending of ASOIAF, if Martin lives long enough to write the ending to the series.

It is your privilege to believe whatever you want, but the show is garbage. Your refusal to accept it doesn't make the show any less terrible.

As for the end, two talentless hacks got the (well paid) opportunity to mess with the source material they neither comprehend nor respect, and it amazes me that anyone might think that they're going to give the original story some ending. They're not capable of, and they don't seem interested even. The same result would be to give them, or anyone else who lacks any talent, to finish any story that is actually layered and complex and meaningful. Maybe GRRM won't manage to finish it himself, but D&D most certainly can never finish ASOIAF in any shape or form. It'd be as if you gave them to write the sequel to Macbeth. Maybe they'd be brazen enough to call it Macbeth Part Two, but it'd have nothing to do with the original play.

What they're ending is their stupid show. Nothing less, and certainly nothing more. The only way one can think that they're finishing ASOIAF, is if one doesn't see any significant difference between the novels and the show so far. Now that's another matter completely, because the book series and the show differ in class, depth, logic, characterization, and so on. It's like comparing Goodfellas with Mickey Mouse, really.

22 hours ago, StepStark said:

It is your privilege to believe whatever you want, but the show is garbage. Your refusal to accept it doesn't make the show any less terrible.

Redundant to say so isn't it? I know I can believe whatever I want, and by the very same token, your saying that the show is garbage doesn't make the show garbage.

22 hours ago, StepStark said:

As for the end, two talentless hacks got the (well paid) opportunity to mess with the source material they neither comprehend nor respect, and it amazes me that anyone might think that they're going to give the original story some ending. They're not capable of, and they don't seem interested even. The same result would be to give them, or anyone else who lacks any talent, to finish any story that is actually layered and complex and meaningful. Maybe GRRM won't manage to finish it himself, but D&D most certainly can never finish ASOIAF in any shape or form. It'd be as if you gave them to write the sequel to Macbeth. Maybe they'd be brazen enough to call it Macbeth Part Two, but it'd have nothing to do with the original play.

What they're ending is their stupid show. Nothing less, and certainly nothing more. The only way one can think that they're finishing ASOIAF, is if one doesn't see any significant difference between the novels and the show so far. Now that's another matter completely, because the book series and the show differ in class, depth, logic, characterization, and so on. It's like comparing Goodfellas with Mickey Mouse, really.

I'm convinced that George R.R. Martin will not finish the series, and then, the ending of the show is the only ending of the series we'll get. Once again, D&D know the ending of the story, at least in Martin's abstract sense. They're taking a different route to the resolution. Is the book better? Yes. No one has argued against that. Just because the book is better, it doesn't mean that the show is garbage, unless you're one of insufferable book purists who tallies every deviation the show has taken from the books, in which case Good Day, Ser.

I gave it a 9/10, because the entire season was build up to last episode, even if didn't answer anything new, for example: everyone new that jon was the son of Raegar and Lyanna, the only thing new was that he isn't actualy a bastard but yes the rightfull king of the seven kingdoms. However there was a surprise in the last episode, the fallen of the wall destroyd by the night king and Vesyrion Wight, explening the score I gave to the episode.

On 10/1/2017 at 0:32 PM, StepStark said:

You are flat out wrong.  Your opinion doesn't matter. Neither does mine or any one single person's on these boards. Facts matter. Here are some:

'The penultimate, seventh season premiere of "Game of Thrones" broke the record for the most watched HBO season premiere of all time when it reached 26 million views across platforms' - Variety 

Game of Thrones generates "slightly more than $1 billion annually, the success and income has become unparalleled" - New York Times 

“Game of Thrones,” HBO’s fantasy epic, will again be the leader of the pack heading into the awards. The drama, which just completed its sixth season, received 23 nominations, the highest total for any show. The show received 24 nominations last year and won its first best drama Emmy." - New York Times. 

9.5 out of 10 rating on IMDB based off of 1.2 million votes. 

So it's the highest revenue generating show, most watched show, leader in Emmy nominations when eligible, and has a collective rating of 9.5 out of 10 based on over a million people. 

This isn't debatable. It's a great show. You can disagree and are entitled to do so, but you would be wrong. 

Edited by johndance

I am being extremely generous and giving it a 5; my initial reaction was to give it a 1. I actually really enjoyed the first two-thirds of the episode, with the gathering at the Dragonpit allowing the reunion between a lot of characters and some interesting stuff happened. Then it all went to pieces.

+ Euron pretending to flee when really he had an alternative plan was cool.

+ Cersei pretending to acquiesce then really not doing so was in-character. Good to see Jaime leave her at last. Although, it was a bit odd that she didn't have Gregor kill Tyrion, given how willing she was to murder people at the end of last season, including family members who weren't even her enemy.

+ Jon being overly loyal and honest and honourable thus causing trouble is also in character.

+ Glad the supposed spoiler about Cersei losing her baby wasn't true.

----- By far the worst bit was my favourite character Littlefinger out of nowhere being put on trial and in a Kangaroo Court being murdered by Sandra who he had saved at least twice and done his best to help her and give good advice. All his crimes, revealed by Bran ex machina, were years in the past. (I thought even making him take the black would be too harsh.) This whole scene was sickening. Please someone kill Sandra off early next season! Preferably Arya too. I was prepared to reduce the mark for this episode by 5 just because of this.

- Sandra and Arya having been at odds all their lives, especially in the previous few episodes, magically turn into BFFs.

- Theon implausibly wins a fight against a tough Ironborn fighter and this act makes the rest of the Ironborn instantly and simultaneously change their minds and go and rescue Yara who is conveniently apparently still alive. I guess violence really is the answer to everything.

- Jon's real name is Aegon? Doesn't Rheagar already have a son of that name? And remember these are writers who renamed other characters in earlier seasons simply to avoid duplicating names.

- Just a minor nitpick, but Rheagar, who's supposed to be ridiculously handsome (even Cersei considers him outshining Jaime by a mile), looked suspiciously like Viserys.

- Jon/Dany, ugh! And I'm not referring at all to them being unknowingly aunt and nephew. Having gone on and on about honour early in the episode, Jon then immediately dishonours himself and risks fathering a bastard (the very thing he said he would never do in season #1) by sleeping with a highborn outside of marriage. This scene came out of nowhere, there was no build-up, just wham, bam, Terrible. Dany has already shown a propensity to sleep around; does she know she's sleeping with a corpse?

- Apparently Viserion can now breathe ice. How ice can destroy the Wall instead of making it even more frozen is beyond me.

Edited by CaptainTheo

53 minutes ago, CaptainTheo said:

- Theon implausibly wins a fight against a tough Ironborn fighter and this act makes the rest of the Ironborn instantly and simultaneously change their minds and go and rescue Yara who is conveniently apparently still alive. I guess violence really is the answer to everything.

lol. The ironborn change their minds, quickly, though. It was established in season 6.

- Jon's real name is Aegon? Doesn't Rheagar already have a son of that name? And remember these are writers who renamed other characters in earlier seasons simply to avoid duplicating names.

hahahahaha so true!

- Jon/Dany, ugh! And I'm not referring at all to them being unknowingly aunt and nephew. Having gone on and on about honour early in the episode, Jon then immediately dishonours himself and risks fathering a bastard (the very thing he said he would never do in season #1) by sleeping with a highborn outside of marriage. This scene came out of nowhere, there was no build-up, just wham, bam, Terrible. Dany has already shown a propensity to sleep around; does she know she's sleeping with a corpse?

Even the cast didn't like it! it's horrible

• 2 weeks later...