Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 707?

How would you rate episode 707?   411 members have voted

  1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

    • 1
      25
    • 2
      25
    • 3
      24
    • 4
      26
    • 5
      31
    • 6
      24
    • 7
      34
    • 8
      54
    • 9
      65
    • 10
      103

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

343 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, StepStark said:

Her post would be entirely wrong, if there wasn't one little fact: the show really is terrible. And that makes her right. And that means that her post hit the target. Nothing you can do about it, except feeling hurt. Which you obviously are. Yeah, the truth hurts sometimes.

Substitute "subjective opinion of mine" every place where you say "truth" or  "fact" above and you'll be a bit closer to the mark.  The very concept of a "forum" implies discussion of opinion, laughable that anyone believes themselves to be in personal ownership of the "truth"

Edited by God-Emperor of Yi Ti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great visuals, generally good acting, and directing with a super shallow plot line and lots of exceptionally forced scenes.

  • Virtually every crime Littlefinger was "convicted of" happened long ago.  What took so long?  What was his end game?  He never even tried to marry Sansa or consolidate power for anything useful.  He had more power and control before he betrayed the Lannisters for no reason to ally with the Boltons and then betrayed them.  Super dramatized trial for what purpose other than the drama itself?  If the sisters were in on the shared secret, who were they play-acting those hostile scenes for? And why go to all the trouble just to off Littlefinger — a character who hasn’t done much more than glower and skulk for ages now, and could have easily been dispatched at any time?
  • The meeting in King's Landing ultimately had the expected result of virtually nothing.  Lost a dragon and some supporting cast, gained Jaime.  Yay?  Tyrion went to meet with Cersei alone and is provoking her to kill him for some unknown reason, and we are to believe now she has the self control to stay her hand even unprovoked.  Then she promises to send all her armies north when that wasn't even requested.  Then tells Jaime she isn't doing that, she is reconquering the 2 spots that will likely be completely abandoned and if he doesn't follow her orders she will kill him.  Then she nods to Ser Gregor as if to say kill Jaime and nothing happens...  Why didn't Cersei just agree to the original terms?  It's going to be much more obvious that she lied if none of her troops are coming north, than if she just agreed to stay home and out of the war as she was asked. 
  • Why it’s only now that Jaime finally decides that it’s time to break with Cersei? Her mass murder at the Sept of Baelor, which also led to the death of their last child, wasn’t enough, but making him break a promise to people who were recently their sworn enemies is?
  • Euron fake leaves back to the Iron Islands I guess coming up with his ploy on the spot, as obviously an undead being in the box wasn't something they could have pre-planned around as an excuse to run.
  • Dany and Jon love each other because plot says so.  I guess they can just be horny for each other, but despite their efforts to make it overly obvious that they are attracted to one another, the actual foundation for love seems really shallow.  Still it's been obvious that they were trying to force the narrative that they were falling for one another all season, so not really a surprise.
  • Sam traveled by horse from southern tip of Westeros and Old Town to Winterfell in less time than it took the white walkers to walk a distance Gendry ran in less than a day.  At the current rate of travel the White Walkers will reach Winterfell in 6 more seasons.
  •  All it takes is seeing Jon’s act of “heroism” (an act that everyone seems to agree was pretty dumb), and Theon is magically able to take up the mantle of hero in his own subplot: After getting beat to a bloody pulp, Theon went pro wrestler with the sudden full recovery and re energized attack after being kneed in the non-crotch several times, then falling to his knees for a redemptive splash in the water, the sun beating down on him and triumphant music swelling.  A more impressive fight outcome than I can recall even pre-Reek Theon having.   Now we are to believe that the 15-20 men there could even have a chance of rescuing Yara if they all agreed to do that from the start.
  • Undead dragon did perfectly controlled demolition of the wall with impressive visuals, but questions remain about what they would have done if they never got the dragon?  As visually impressive as it was, wasn't that the expected outcome as soon as the dragon got turned?

I know lots of people love the show despite these things, and that is great for them.  Nobody says we all have to like the same things and other people disliking what you like ultimately shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the show, likewise people loving the show isn't going to effect my opinion on it.  If people want to debate specific points then that is fine, but just saying the show is bad or great on it's own isn't a very compelling debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5/10. Find it hard to go lower than that compared to other series that become really awful, but this episode was incredibly poor. Whilst I think it is totally unreasonable to expect a massive twist/shock every finale and ultimately when that becomes routine how can it ever shock? It is ridiculous that every single damn scene was overwhelmingly predictable. I mean you know something is wrong when the biggest surprise is that not only did Theon lose his penis. He also lost his testicles.

Tension and suspense almost became non existent as characters walk into scenarios that the script yells at us that they are in danger, but in reality we know they aren't. Like Tyrion meeting  with Cersei. Honestly the only moment  where I felt real tension for a characters life and think they did pull it off well was the confrontation with Jaime and Cersei.

Rehashing R+L.

The Theon fight in general. I feel like it was only added in so they could have the whole knee to the groin joke, but I feel like it would have been far superior if he just convinced them how good of a leader Yara was and they shouldn't abandon her.

I could go on, but won't. As I said I don't expect a massive twist every season, but my issue isn't as much there was no twist, but the fact that before this episode started I could more or less predict everything that bloody well happens with some minor exceptions like Sam and Bran talking.

Don't even remind me about what happened to Littlefinger.

Edited by A Dance with Davos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reusing the Viserys costume + wig for Rhaegar was pretty jarring.  Actually showing Rhaegar was probably always destined to be a bit of a letdown, but aside from that it is weird to have him so physically resemble Viserys when the characterization we get for both brothers establishes how totally different they were in life.  Not a huge complaint but it did take me out of the scene.

I feel like Bran's established behavior pattern should have had him address Sam as "Lord Tarly" particularly since they've established that Sam didn't find out about his family while still at the Citadel.  Missed opportunity.

Another missed opportunity in the Dragon Pit scene.  For once I really would've liked to see Missandei going into hype man mode and introduced Dany by all 37 of her titles and epithets, either just to fuck with Cersei or to see a bit where Cersei gets frustrated and interrupts her.  Either way that'd have been fun and seems missing with all the other first time/long time reactions we got in this episode.

Also this was one of the few times where the inability to put Lena Heady and Jerome Flynn in the same scene forced a contrivance, and it isn't a huge deal but again, like with the Rhaegar/Viserys similarity, it cracked that fourth wall, reminded me I'm just watching a show, and took me out of the scene.

Repeating the "fine kill me then" bit with Cersei only to have her blink and back down was a bit much.  But at least Jaime's walked out on Cersei.  Sorta.  Better late than never, and Jaime catching the beginnings of southron snowfall was a nice little touch.

I would've liked Theon to not take quite so much of a beating before he made his comeback.  Also the whole thing where he POWERED UP by being kneed in the genitals he no longer has was pretty goofy.  Amusing!  But goofy.  I guess it works as symbolism/allegory for coming to terms with his mutilation.  Anyway, the fight was way too Hollywood, but at least it ended with Theon kicking the crap out of someone and finally we're starting that Theon re-ascention arc.

Speaking of "too Hollywood", the delay on the wight springing to life.  Again, that serves more to fake out the audience (for no purpose other than to fake out the audience). Also it contradicts the earlier bit where it freaked out and started trying to break out of the box when Sandor played Knock Knock.  Also having Sandor carry it on his back when it needed horse and cart to be toted around earlier.  Okay I get that Sandor is a strong sumbitch and I know filming horses costs money. 

It is much easier and quicker to list the things I don't like about this episode than the things I do.  For the most part this episode focused heavily on the things the show still does well and de-emphasized the things it no longer does well.  Also, as the season finale, it was naturally heavy on payoffs and denouement, forgoing shockers for the sake of delivering on what's being anticipated.  [Exception:  Sansa's pivot to Littlefinger in the Winterfell Trial scene, which for some reason they heavily invested on misdirecting from in the preliminary episodes.  But even that wasn't very shocking because they tried so hard to lead us one way it effectively told us they were going the other.]

And there's other minor nitpicks like Ghost getting the whole season off, and will someone let Edmure Tully out of prison before he starves please?

But on the whole, maybe I'm just enjoying being pandered to too much, but this episode largely gave me what I want in the way I wanted it.  We had Dragons and we basically had tits even though we technically didn't see them, but we got enough of Dany & Jon taking the ferry to bone-town that I'm going to count it on the Modified McShane Scoring System (MMSS).

Rather than what I've done in past weeks, this week I'm just trying to decide how much to deduct from a potential perfect 10 (tits and dragons) for the above minor nitpicks, because obviously this wasn't a perfect episode and yet I was satisfied with virtually everything else.  Some of it was so gratifying I feel it's worth bonus points.  So I guess - 1 for each item above (6 total).

then a +1 for Jon saying what I've been saying for years and pointing out how crap it is that everyone believes Dany's barren just because some witch with a grudge says so. 

+ 2 for all things Theon this week.  The staredown with Euron at the meeting.  The heart to heart with Jon, granting him the absolution he needs, incomplete as it had to be.  The little touches, like symbolically re-baptising himself on the beach after beating the crap out of sassy Ironborn Lieutenant.  Again, no huge surprises here, just gratifying delivery of what has been promised and teased in episodes past.  What is dead can never die and I am HYPE for Season 8 Theon action.  What Is Dead Can Never Die.

Littlefinger not just getting killed off, but truly getting defeated.  His dysfunctional and destructive game of thrones was rejected and repudiated, and he died on his knees, out of schemes, out of tricks, reduced to petulant tears and useless begging and pleading.  Now he's not just dead, but wrong. It was perhaps the most gratifying demise this show has done.  Yes, including Joffrey and Viserys.  Almost makes up for how they tried so hard to make this "unexpected" they did a sub-adequate job of foreshadowing it. (+.5)

And you know I'm going to love it when they bring the White Walkers in just long enough to remind you they are problem #1 and always have been.  They are what everyone should be utterly terrified of and preparing for, instead of the pretty distraction that is the Game of Thrones.  And now they've breached the wall.  I can mostly look the other way on what I assume is going to be a third Tormund death fakeout (including 2 in consecutive episodes...is he going to catch up with Beric before this is over?  +.5)

 

 

I guess I'm really giving this a 7 out of 10 with qualifier that I am predisposed to be generous to this episode. My system is probably easily exploited by the nature of a Season Finale since, again, I like getting my denouement and this episode was of course being heavy on denouement.  And fan service, but again it's a season finale, it's about sending the audience home happy (or at least gratified) to tide them over for the long layoff before the final season. Part of episode 7's score is what it did (and didn't) do relative to the rest of the reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

In episode 6, Jorah admitted that what he had done was wrong and rejected his birthright; Tormund and the Hound bonded (and had fun banter); Gendry had to start getting over his hatred of the Brotherhood; Jon and Beric talked about why they were brought back from the dead.

Actually I did not criticise the epi 6 dialogue.

 

57 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

In episode 7, the Tyrion and Cersei scene definitely does something new: it forced Cersei to confront her defense mechanism for moving past her personal fault in the collapse of her family (everything is Tyrion's fault!) and acknowledge that she couldn't bring herself to directly order his death.

Did it? After all, she was tricking Tyrion, and she still blames Tyrion, and all this season Tyrion as Dany's hand served her well. Why would she murder her enemy's hand when that same hand ended up costing Dany. There is no actual growth, just pretense for her own strategic advantage, and Tyrion fell for it hook line and sinker.

 

57 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The Jon-Theon scene is another case in point. Two characters that are mirror versions of each other finally getting to talk and discuss Theon's crimes and atonement felt like a huge turning point for Theon's character, and a better use of Jon than we've gotten most of the season.

I agree that the Jon-Theon scene was up there with the Hound-Brienne dialogue. That conversation did for Theon what we witness in Theon's chapter of the Ghost of WF, when he hears Bran's voice through the weirwood tree at WF and admits that he partly wants to be a Stark and that Ned was more his father than Balon ever was + Theon hearing the ravens in Stannis's possession call his name. So, it's another delayed progression as with Jaime, but I have less of an issue with that delay for 2 seasons in the way they wrote him, and because I don't believe Reek is entirely dealt with for Theon at the end of aDwD.

Edited by sweetsunray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

Substitute "subjective opinion of mine" every place where you say "truth" or  "fact" above and you'll be a bit closer to the mark.  The very concept of a "forum" implies discussion of opinion, laughable that anyone believes themselves to be in personal ownership of the "truth"

Who said anything about "personal ownership", LOL! The truth is the truth, it's not about possessing it but about recognizing it and accepting it. If TV show is written with large logical holes and with scenes that defy common sense, then it is a bad show.

If you want to prove that it isn't bad, then you're doing it all wrong. You don't have to explain what forum is and what a discussion is. It isn't needed, I know that already, so thanks for nothing. What you might try is to prove that those are not plot holes and senseless scenes. But of course, you can't do that, because it's impossible, because the show doesn't make sense at all.

Just for starters, please try to explain this to me: what was Cersei's master plan for the parlay? Like, what would she do if Tyrion didn't walk in her office to talk to her alone? She and Euron planned his exit in advance, that's what she says to Jaime later on - but what was the point of that trick, if she also left the parlay without agreeing to the truce?

How could she know that Dany's not going to burn the Red Keep right away? In fact, right before the parlay she even suspects some foul play, and she tells Gregor who to kill first. But she turns down the truce anyway, and for the stupidest possible reason.

So if Tyrion, at that point, doesn't go to talk to her, what would she do?

The answer is: D&D have no idea. They only went as far as "Euron acts as if he's abandoning Cersei but he actually isn't", which is just poor writing. They don't know the first thing about writing "wheels within wheels within wheels"m, as evidenced by literally every attempt they made at it, not only in this season. So please, what "personal ownership" of the truth you were talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ser Graymax said:

Endless cock jokes.

"In the end it all comes down to the cock, doesnt it?"  Well it did in this episode.

Best or at least equal to the best this season has had to offer.

My highest rating yet, a 9.5.

Lord Baelish died too easily.

Magical wall brought down by a magical dragon with a magical figure leading a magical army.  Whats not to understand?

Honestly, some of you pseudo-intellectuals with your endless over analyzing and self centered positions and lack of life-knowledge bring tears to my eyes.  Its a TV program, relax and enjoy it.

No aimed at anyone in particular BTW.  JMHO.

Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StepStark said:

No, it's the other way around: it is terrible, and that's why I'm calling it terrible.

And where did you get the idea that I don't accept that others actually like the show? LOL! I accept it, and @Modesty Lannister also accepts it, obviously. But what does it have to do with anything? Porn is also liked by many people, but it's still poorly writt

1 hour ago, StepStark said:

No, it's the other way around: it is terrible, and that's why I'm calling it terrible.

And where did you get the idea that I don't accept that others actually like the show? LOL! I accept it, and @Modesty Lannister also accepts it, obviously. But what does it have to do with anything? Porn is also liked by many people, but it's still poorly written.

There are those who love the show and the ones who hate it. That the show is terrible is your opinion and a guy who loves the show will strongly disagree . So my point is that there will never be a general agreement on whether the show sucks or not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok, I give ten. There are many things that could be better but I cannot complain at all.

What I loved about this episode:

  • Littlefinger's death. When he spoke to Sansa about Arya's evil plans, I thought "come on, Sansa, you cannot be that stupid". And the end of this cunning character was amazing. Littlefinger on his knees praying for mercy... I wanted to see this so bad! It was too satisfying. Life teached Arya and Sansa a lesson. And it was amazing to see that they learned something from it. Ned would be proud. Well, I'm waiting to see Arya with LF's face now.
  • Jon and Dany together. I read books and dreamt to see them together. At last it is happening. And it doesn't matter at all whether they are aunt and nephew. I wanted to see it from the very beginning. Ice and fire. It's a pity that the scene was so short.
  • Theon. I really wanted this miserable guy to do something with his miserable existence. I thought that he's gonna die in that fighting scene. I suppose his experience made him somewhat of a masochist. Now he's reborn. He will not be coward again. He will not give up though it hurts like hell. He's ready to die for his sister.
  • Ice dragon. I didn't like the mission that killed the dragon. There could be a better way to turn a dragon without all that illogical stuff. But I love the result. He chopped a piece of the Wall like it's a piece of cake. It was a great ending of this season.
  • Jaimie. Seeing him leaving his sister... At last. He was a marionette for too long.
  • Snow (not Jon) in King's Landing. It was the perfect timing. My heart shivered.

What I was not impressed about:

  • The meeting. I suppose that was so hard to bring everyone together. Cersey and Dany. Brothers Sandor and Mountain. Random dothraki and so on. Theon and Euron. Lannister family. Well, the meeting seemed awkward. But it was necessary. It was a tough scene to make. I liked the wight part though.
  • Bran. I don't like how he works. I still haven't figured out how he works. It's like he's seeing everything but at the same time seeing nothing unless someone says something. Then he travels to places and sees marriages.
  • Rhaegar. I don't think that anybody liked him.

But I was impressed. Winter is coming. Waiting for the next season may begin.

 

 

Edited by Obsidian Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting really sick of people saying it doesn't matter if an aunt fucks her nephew. 

 

If they have kids there is a strong chance they will be defective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LordImp said:

There are those who love the show and the ones who hate it. That the show is terrible is your opinion and a guy who loves the show will strongly disagree . So my point is that there will never be a general agreement on whether the show sucks or not. 

 

Why should there be an agreement? This is a forum. Everyone should state their opinion. However, there is a huge difference between unsubstantiated and substantiated opinion. Also, there is a huge difference between season 1, parts of season 3 and the rest of the show. So, I haven't seen anyone who claimed "the show sucks" all the time. And also, what does "the show sucks" even mean? Shall we reduce the forum and English language to that? I respect everyone's right to love whatever they want and I will never understand offended reactions of show fans. I could understand an offended reaction from a CGI expert or a genius costume designer. But, somehow they are never offended, because they did their job to their best ability, which is often outstanding, and they were paid for it. The rest is not their RESPONSIBILITY. See that word? Show runners are responsible for the overall outcome. So, people tend to criticise them. They tend to be very specific like that, because in life we all take responsibilities and therefore we have to take both praise and criticism. I cannot hate a show. I cannot have such strong emotions for a work of kitsch. I can have strong emotions for a work of art. So, I will say "I love GRRM's books. I love "Twin Peaks"." But, D&D cannot raise any emotions in my apart from sporadic sarcastic laughter and overall pity for all the good actors and filmmakers wasted in this project. That is very far from hate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LordImp said:

There are those who love the show and the ones who hate it. That the show is terrible is your opinion and a guy who loves the show will strongly disagree . So my point is that there will never be a general agreement on whether the show sucks or not. 

Okay then, what about something more simple? Can we reach agreement on Cersei's plan in this episode? Because her plan entirely depends on the lie she told Tyrion when they were alone - but, how could she ever expect to talk to him alone? And what would she do if he didn't walk to her office after the parlay?

I don't find any reasonable answers to those questions. If you don't either, what does that speak of Cersei's plan, and, by extension, of the entire parlay sequence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tadco26 said:
  • Virtually every crime Littlefinger was "convicted of" happened long ago.  What took so long?  What was his end game?  He never even tried to marry Sansa or consolidate power for anything useful.  He had more power and control before he betrayed the Lannisters for no reason to ally with the Boltons and then betrayed them.  Super dramatized trial for what purpose other than the drama itself?  If the sisters were in on the shared secret, who were they play-acting those hostile scenes for? And why go to all the trouble just to off Littlefinger — a character who hasn’t done much more than glower and skulk for ages now, and could have easily been dispatched at any time?
  • The meeting in King's Landing ultimately had the expected result of virtually nothing.  Lost a dragon and some supporting cast, gained Jaime.  Yay?  Tyrion went to meet with Cersei alone and is provoking her to kill him for some unknown reason, and we are to believe now she has the self control to stay her hand even unprovoked.  Then she promises to send all her armies north when that wasn't even requested.  Then tells Jaime she isn't doing that, she is reconquering the 2 spots that will likely be completely abandoned and if he doesn't follow her orders she will kill him.  Then she nods to Ser Gregor as if to say kill Jaime and nothing happens...  Why didn't Cersei just agree to the original terms?  It's going to be much more obvious that she lied if none of her troops are coming north, than if she just agreed to stay home and out of the war as she was asked. 
  • Why it’s only now that Jaime finally decides that it’s time to break with Cersei? Her mass murder at the Sept of Baelor, which also led to the death of their last child, wasn’t enough, but making him break a promise to people who were recently their sworn enemies is?
  • Euron fake leaves back to the Iron Islands I guess coming up with his ploy on the spot, as obviously an undead being in the box wasn't something they could have pre-planned around as an excuse to run.
  • Dany and Jon love each other because plot says so.  I guess they can just be horny for each other, but despite their efforts to make it overly obvious that they are attracted to one another, the actual foundation for love seems really shallow.  Still it's been obvious that they were trying to force the narrative that they were falling for one another all season, so not really a surprise.
  • Sam traveled by horse from southern tip of Westeros and Old Town to Winterfell in less time than it took the white walkers to walk a distance Gendry ran in less than a day.  At the current rate of travel the White Walkers will reach Winterfell in 6 more seasons.
  •  All it takes is seeing Jon’s act of “heroism” (an act that everyone seems to agree was pretty dumb), and Theon is magically able to take up the mantle of hero in his own subplot: After getting beat to a bloody pulp, Theon went pro wrestler with the sudden full recovery and re energized attack after being kneed in the non-crotch several times, then falling to his knees for a redemptive splash in the water, the sun beating down on him and triumphant music swelling.  A more impressive fight outcome than I can recall even pre-Reek Theon having.   Now we are to believe that the 15-20 men there could even have a chance of rescuing Yara if they all agreed to do that from the start.
  • Undead dragon did perfectly controlled demolition of the wall with impressive visuals, but questions remain about what they would have done if they never got the dragon?  As visually impressive as it was, wasn't that the expected outcome as soon as the dragon got turned?

I know lots of people love the show despite these things, and that is great for them.  Nobody says we all have to like the same things and other people disliking what you like ultimately shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the show, likewise people loving the show isn't going to effect my opinion on it.  If people want to debate specific points then that is fine, but just saying the show is bad or great on it's own isn't a very compelling debate.

1. I said there was basically no reason for every Sansa/Arya scene this season (even though i was ok with some of them).  You go further and I agree. What has LF done since he bribed Sweet Robyn and got control of the Knights of the Vale?  He has done nothing that made sense and we waited for it all to come together in his master stroke.  Instead we got this...

2. It is basically the exact same problem.  We had all this production and bluster and nothing happened.  Cersei would have been better served by just saying ok an armistice by raven after Tyrion's visit.  Maybe send the agreement attached to her hated brother's head so she feels the victory in her agreement.

6. Sam traveled by horse and cart with the world slowest aging toddler.  That would certainly speed things up.  Maybe they were sucking Little Sam's aging time into warping their travel time or something.

7.  Duh... Once your nards get removed you get a power up pedal attached to your crotch.  Didn't they teach you that in biology?

 

1 hour ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Reusing the Viserys costume + wig for Rhaegar was pretty jarring.  Actually showing Rhaegar was probably always destined to be a bit of a letdown, but aside from that it is weird to have him so physically resemble Viserys when the characterization we get for both brothers establishes how totally different they were in life.  Not a huge complaint but it did take me out of the scene.

Another missed opportunity in the Dragon Pit scene.  For once I really would've liked to see Missandei going into hype man mode and introduced Dany by all 37 of her titles and epithets, either just to fuck with Cersei or to see a bit where Cersei gets frustrated and interrupts her.  Either way that'd have been fun and seems missing with all the other first time/long time reactions we got in this episode.

Also this was one of the few times where the inability to put Lena Heady and Jerome Flynn in the same scene forced a contrivance, and it isn't a huge deal but again, like with the Rhaegar/Viserys similarity, it cracked that fourth wall, reminded me I'm just watching a show, and took me out of the scene.

I would've liked Theon to not take quite so much of a beating before he made his comeback.  Also the whole thing where he POWERED UP by being kneed in the genitals he no longer has was pretty goofy.  Amusing!  But goofy.  I guess it works as symbolism/allegory for coming to terms with his mutilation.  Anyway, the fight was way too Hollywood, but at least it ended with Theon kicking the crap out of someone and finally we're starting that Theon re-ascention arc.

 

I thought it was was Harry Loyd for a moment.  I was thinking how he aged.

Cersei interrupting Dany's titles would have been great.

I didn't know about Heady and Flynn.  When that happened, I said out loud, "How odd, does one of them need to go die somewhere or something?"  It would have been less jarring for Bronn to say to Pod, "Listen, Ser MagicCock we both know this is going to get ugly.  Look around, you are the named red shirt in this scene.  You need to get out of here."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it an 8.

 

Its the second best episode of this season, but this season has been kind of a let down IMO.

 

But as someone else said, this episode felt more like classic GOT. I enjoyed it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Modesty Lannister said:

there is a huge difference between season 1, parts of season 3 and the rest of the show

Have I said anything else? No. 

 

56 minutes ago, Modesty Lannister said:

Shall we reduce the forum and English language to that

What?

57 minutes ago, Modesty Lannister said:

seen anyone who claimed "the show sucks" all the time. And also, what does "the show sucks" even

I have seen plenty of this.

 

58 minutes ago, Modesty Lannister said:

The rest is not their RESPONSIBILITY. See that word? Show runners are responsible for the overall outcome

What does responsibility have to do with what I said? 

 

1 hour ago, Modesty Lannister said:

That is very far from hate

I have never said you hates the show. When I said " those who hate the show" I was refering to the "ranters and ravers" who are never happy with anything done on this show. As far as I know you are not the typical " ranter" or? 

I have nothing against people who dislike the show. But I have something against those who can't accept any other opinion than theirs , when someone disagrees with them they call them stupid and so on . And it's usually "ranters" that do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

According to the polls the "Spoils of War" was by far the best episode of this season. Including the Season finale.

The worst episode was Beyond  the wall.

Because both have battle with Dragons , I think our sample indicates that:

Plot+Writing+Acting  > CGI+Battles+Action

Edited by King Louis II (KLII)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it a 3 and that was, as always, being generous. Stuff happening off screen, character butchering, irregularities, fan service, cheesy dialogue, cliches,... 

I am glad we are in for the finale season, the less, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 and then I was pretty generous. 

I mean it was better than the previous episode which was one of the worst episodes of the entire series. And I stupidly and insanely generously gave it a 5, so this had to be a 6. 

There were basically no enjoyable scenes in the previous episode. There were a handful in this one. 

I liked the walks to the dragon pit, I liked the moments of silence (this show would be so much better without dialogue), I liked everything about Euron, I liked the demonstration with the wight. I liked he negotiations, I liked that one exchange between Jaime and Daenerys. The Hound vs Mountain thing was okay, Brienne and the Hound was pretty damn redundant imo, but it turned out okay. Pod and Bronn were sweet, Daenerys and Jon hiding in a nook and chatting was the first decent scene with those two, they were kinda cute and they talked about substantial things. 

I also liked the confrontation between Jaime and Cersei and Jaime riding off, I liked John Bradly's facial expressions and I liked the fact that they used the ice dragon at least. AT LEAST the plot crawled an inch forward. 

And I liked that they at least attempted to pull off plot twists which were only semi-predictable and almost satisfying.

Other than these, the episode was unworldly dumb, often boring or underwhelming, sometimes atrociously and offensively ignorant and lazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

the wall is down. 10. was thinking between 6-9 but the wall is finally down that equals a 10 in my book. i rated last episode 3, which it totally deserved, it was rubbish. this one started somewhat weak to me. i feared for another terrible one but it grew stronger and stronger leaving out theons stupid ball kickery leading to a nonsense recover and jonnys romance crap. bealish is finally dead, this took too damn long. the big meetup took quite long too, but jaimie getting his butt up to finally leave cersei behind was worth it. at this point i was at a 6 still being angry at the last episode. from then on it went upwards and the ice dragon blasting the wall convinced me that this was a one of the very central episodes in the game of thrones series. at this point jons heritage didnt really shock me but i am glad its finally out.

this episode was also a good reset. i am really looking forward to see the next season. overall i rate this season a 7, mainly due to episode 6. it all felt a bit rushed but finally, after 7 years that damn wall is down. just hope the nights king is just a minor general... and sweet robin trained like rocky to kill frankenmountain.

oh yeah, and tyrion should have been jorah in that staircase scene, hehe.

Edited by GilletteMace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game of Thrones is one of the best series ever made for television. I have over 60 years experience of watching TV. This was a particularly good episode. Why oh why are trolls coming on here and giving it 1's and 2's out of 10. If this show was a 1/10 these people are going to be very disappointed with what else is on TV these days. The filming, the costumes, the acting, the locations are all superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now