An Entire Season without Ghost

Snormund

13 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Of course the direwolves matter. In fact they matter a lot. But, as you said...in the books. Not on the Show.

Just watched how they killed off Summer and Shaggydog to understand how little D&D care about them.

And it's sad, because I love them, it's really cool for the Stark children to have these amazing pets and protectors, but they are important for a reason the Show has dropped: they woke up the warg powers within the Stark children. And the Stark children don't have these powers on the Show, except for Bran.

Dont forget Greywind who in the books goes out like a boss killing all kinds of fools until he is finally taken down.  Not in the show he dies in his cage.  

On 28/08/2017 at 5:55 PM, Ser Quork said:

I've hated that we've not seen Ghost, but then if we don't see him, D&D can't kill him - so there's that.

I wouldn't be too sure of that....

Season 8 Episode 1

Jon receives a raven informing him Ghost was killed in a wight attack.

(not a spoiler....just pointing out what the show geniuses D&D are liable to do and that they dont need to show Ghost again at all to kill him off).

16 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Bending the knee to Dany is the only thing he may have done wrong.  But it could be compared to Ned bending the knee to Joffrey to save his family.  Jon knows he needs Dany to save the north, and she saved him first; it was like an exchange of mutual trust.  Not saying it was necessarily the right way to do it, but it doesn't turn him from a Stark into a Targaryen.

At that point, Dany had just pledged to fight the White Walkers, so Jon didn't need to bend the knee and from her reaction she clearly hadn't expected him to. But it's not something wrong. The North has been part of the Seven Kingdoms for a long time, and I'd rather see them united than not. More stable for everyone.

15 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

At that point, Dany had just pledged to fight the White Walkers, so Jon didn't need to bend the knee and from her reaction she clearly hadn't expected him to. But it's not something wrong. The North has been part of the Seven Kingdoms for a long time, and I'd rather see them united than not. More stable for everyone.

The Northern lords may see it as wrong.  I expect that will be something he will have to deal with when he returns to WF.

On 8/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

He is going to die next season the same way Summer did.  I think that's the absolute best we can hope for.  The worst would be him dying they did Greywind.  Fucking Greywind went down fighting in the books.  And D&D took a giant shit on him.  And Summer and Shaggy to be honest.  

:lol: Thank you for reminding me of how pitifully Summer died. 

Charges into a crowd of oncoming wights...

...immediately slain. Inside of one second. Does nothing to halt the oncoming horde of wights. 

:lmao: 

I am also very upset by Ghosts absence. I don't think budget is a legit excuse. I get that cgi costs money, my husband has worked in vfx for like 10 years so I also know wolves are notoriously difficult to make look good. But this show has one of the largest budgets and with all the spent on dragons upon dragons and a wigt bear that was in no way essential to the plot, it's really just an excuse. And to those who say he didn't serve a purpose in the plot how about protecting Jon north of the wall, or signifying jons stark side while we learn about his Targ side, or how about signifying to Dany that she's not the only one with a special connection to a magical/special creature -would have helped to show him more as danys equal. Oh well here's hoping for season 8.  

On 9/6/2017 at 11:18 PM, nymeria_2321 said:

I am also very upset by Ghosts absence. I don't think budget is a legit excuse. I get that cgi costs money, my husband has worked in vfx for like 10 years so I also know wolves are notoriously difficult to make look good. But this show has one of the largest budgets and with all the spent on dragons upon dragons and a wigt bear that was in no way essential to the plot, it's really just an excuse. And to those who say he didn't serve a purpose in the plot how about protecting Jon north of the wall, or signifying jons stark side while we learn about his Targ side, or how about signifying to Dany that she's not the only one with a special connection to a magical/special creature -would have helped to show him more as danys equal. Oh well here's hoping for season 8.  

Yeah I'm very upset by it too as the direwolves are so cool and such a key part of the books.  I think they've pretty much said it's not entirely a budgetary thing, but that they just have not been comfortable with how the cgi wolves have looked and been rendered and they just sort of wrote it off.  I agree that it's a big shame that they spent so much CGI budget on the wight bear which apparently they have wanted to do for years but they can't figure out a way to have Ghost.  

Say what you want about the show and the showrunners, but they have shown a really impressive flair for visuals and staging, even with CGI renderings like the dragons which look AMAZING.  I really wish they would put their talents to work on the direwolves and have them be a much bigger part of the final season.

I'm hopeful that with so many fans clamoring for it they will listen to them and include at least one final scene with Ghost and Nymeria if not more.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Sansa said Ghost is waiting for Jon. We should assume he's somewhere in Winterfell. If they don't show him when Jon returns next season, then it's time to be pissed.

Ghost is down in the kennels training Ramsey's horde of hungry hounds. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for ;)

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

Ghost is like the least important absence in the whole show. Only one Stark can warg and it's not Jon, so Ghost is just a sidekick that sometimes helps Jon. He's not a plot device like the dragons.

All the Stark kids are wargs in the books and Ghost is very important to Jon, but books-show, they are different. While it's a little annoying that Ghost is absent, in the context of the show-verse it isn't the worst bit of stupidity the showrunners have made us accept this season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/8/2017 at 5:26 AM, SansaJonRule said:

Overall, people find the dragons more exciting and they were pivotal to the plot this season.  Ghost wasn't.  Bottom line, how would Ghost have helped the story?  Like I said, I would have liked to have seen him (personally I like wolves more than dragons), but griping about it is nitpicking.

This.

I love the direwolves more, but the truth is the dragons are more important to the story, at least in the tv show right now. If Jon were to be a warg like in the books, then Ghost missing is a huge mistake. But unfortunately that is totally missing in the show. Neither Jon or Arya are wargs in the show, only Bran. So the wolves are sacrificed. They also cost more more, to CGI and to direct. The owner of Ghost spoke about it on reddit.

It's a good read. I enjoyed his information about the wolves, and in particular Ghost (Quigley his real name):

"Wolves can be time consuming to work with, especially on TV when the schedule is rushed. You sometimes need a lot of preparation on set."

Hardest scenes was this season (season 6), especially the sleeping scene. Everyone sees a dog not a wolf, so its hard sometimes to get across that we are dealing with a wild animal.

It can be hard to get a wolf to lay totally flat and still on a film set. It is a very vulnerable position to be in.

Wolves are the easiest to train, because they are so smart. As I said getting them to be confident in front of the camera is the hard part. 

It’s said that 10 minutes of CGI can cost up to $800,000. That is a lot of money and with wolves the costs are higher cause Jon will not be sitting on a green thing like Emilia. Add to that than this season you had the battles between Euron and Yara, the big one with Dany against the Lannisters, the retarted mission Beyond the Wall and the wall coming down in the end. That means a lot of stunt actors, different camera crews and lots of extras. It is also reported that the lead actors have renegotiated again for season seven and that, thanks to a ‘licensing clause’ that will see them profit from distribution rights, their pay might skyrocket to up to $2 million per episode. Plus, they film on locations. That's a lot of money guys. The unreal cost of making Game of Thrones

They have to cut things and it's about making choices. Would rather have Ghost or a Giant? Would rather have Ghost or a Polar Bear? I would rather have Ghost myself, but I understand why they chose a Giant. I don't understand the Polar Bear however. Yeah it was cool but unless you do not intend to use dead animals within the dead army for season 8, then what's the point of spending those money for a one time bear? Useless, IMO. Just D&D acting like kids. lol

And no (to a previous poster) the cut scene with Ghost in season 7 wasn't yet done with CGI. 

Archived