Snormund

An Entire Season without Ghost

80 posts in this topic

Not even in one scene? when did he appear for the last time? I don't remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Not in the budget? I doubt it. The series is popular enough to be able to budget for some more cgi, not pick and choose. They let the genie out of the bottle, they need to plan accordingly.

I think they could reuse some of his scenes maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Not in the budget? I doubt it. The series is popular enough to be able to budget for some more cgi, not pick and choose. They let the genie out of the bottle, they need to plan accordingly.

That is what I heard D&D said in an interview.  And EVERY show has a budget.  To think they don't is ignorant.  Show business is still business.  They have to make choices with the budget in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

That is what I heard D&D said in an interview.  And EVERY show has a budget.  To think they don't is ignorant.  Show business is still business.  They have to make choices with the budget in mind.

I heard them say it too. I know a few things about production budgets and I still say b.s.. If they didn't have the money, they overspent somewhere else, didn't plan for something off screen or had a sick/ drunk actor who couldn't remember their lines and took all day to shoot a scene that should have taken less time.  Another member made the point that they could reuse old cgi. They could and probably get away with it. They didn't plan far enough ahead if they ran out of money for the little bit of cgi that was needed to have a glimpse of Ghost. He is an oversized dog, not a giant or a dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I heard them say it too. I know a few things about production budgets and I still say b.s.. If they didn't have the money, they overspent somewhere else, didn't plan for something off screen or had a sick/ drunk actor who couldn't remember their lines and took all day to shoot a scene that should have taken less time.  Another member made the point that they could reuse old cgi. They could and probably get away with it. They didn't plan far enough ahead if they ran out of money for the little bit of cgi that was needed to have a glimpse of Ghost. He is an oversized dog, not a giant or a dragon.

Overall, people find the dragons more exciting and they were pivotal to the plot this season.  Ghost wasn't.  Bottom line, how would Ghost have helped the story?  Like I said, I would have liked to have seen him (personally I like wolves more than dragons), but griping about it is nitpicking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didnt even include him at the table last season when the Northerners were calling him the white wolf and proclaiming him the King in the north. They fucked up there and havent been able to recover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

He IS half Targaryen.  And he's hardly been acting less Stark like.

He was being being ooc throughout the whole of S7; first he spent the whole season with Dany whilst the Stark were all in Winterfell, and then he betrayed the North by bending the knee. 

Just because they threw in the fact that he's half Targaryen doesn't mean he suddenly loses the Stark identity he's been holding since day 1, but that's exactly what D&D did and replacing Ghost with a dragon show us just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Not in the budget? I doubt it. The series is popular enough to be able to budget for some more cgi, not pick and choose. They let the genie out of the bottle, they need to plan accordingly.

Seems Cogman said Ghost was supposed to be in episode 1, don't know if they shot it and cut it or what?

Update: looked it up, Ghost was supposed to be in Cogman's episode, he says they shot it but cut it.

With only 7 episodes, they could have made all 70 min. long but didn't. Have seen this all along , it must be D&D they seem to have an aversion to even small amounts of elaboration.

Westworld's last episode was 90 min.

Edited by boojam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they used old footage, people here would have bitched that they didn't put in the effort and should have left him out. Yeah, it is sad that he wasn't in this season. I assumed he wasn't with Jon because Jon left him behind to protect Sansa. Would have been great for him to be there when the Stark kids dished out some justice at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 10:46 PM, Snormund said:

Melisandre should have left Jon dead 

Jon should have stayed dead.  If he has to come back,  at the least bring him back as a wight with a short expiration date.  He should not be able to cheat death like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they know what to do with him.  By now Ghost is almost certainly dead in the books and the showrunners never prepared for that eventuality earlier on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.8.2017 at 6:42 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Sansa said Ghost is waiting for Jon. We should assume he's somewhere in Winterfell. If they don't show him when Jon returns next season, then it's time to be pissed.

This.

Jon was travelling without his pet to Dragonstone, Beyond the Wall and back to Kinds Landing, so Ghost stayed put.

While I am upset at some other things, the omission of Ghost seems ok and logical. No clue why people complain so much about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As sad as it sounds, D&D don't give a fuck about the direwolves. Only Nymeria this season and she showed up for 20 secs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Overall, people find the dragons more exciting and they were pivotal to the plot this season.  Ghost wasn't.  Bottom line, how would Ghost have helped the story?  Like I said, I would have liked to have seen him (personally I like wolves more than dragons), but griping about it is nitpicking.

The reason is consistency. When a character that has been developed, is absent for an uncharacteristic length of time, it is not in keeping with the story line. It lets the viewers down. The viewers are feeling some disappointment on this matter. In this case it is not pivotal to the story. But when Ghost does reappear, it will be in a great big leap in a dramatic fight, then it will be over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who say Ghost doesn't matter clearly haven't read the books. 

 

Ive only read the books through once so far (although I do plan to reread them starting soon) and none of Martin's other work but this is so obvious just based on even a basic knowledge of the books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snormund said:

People who say Ghost doesn't matter clearly haven't read the books. 

 

Ive only read the books through once so far (although I do plan to reread them starting soon) and none of Martin's other work but this is so obvious just based on even a basic knowledge of the books. 

My comment was in context of the show, this season in particular, not the books.  The dire wolves are without a doubt much more important in the  books.

Do you really think Martin will finish the series?  I SO want to reread the books between now and S8, but if he doesn't finish them I feel like what's the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pikachu101 said:

He was being being ooc throughout the whole of S7; first he spent the whole season with Dany whilst the Stark were all in Winterfell, and then he betrayed the North by bending the knee. 

Just because they threw in the fact that he's half Targaryen doesn't mean he suddenly loses the Stark identity he's been holding since day 1, but that's exactly what D&D did and replacing Ghost with a dragon show us just that.

Did you miss the whole part where Cersei said she would believe Jon's word because he is Ned Stark's son, and then he refused to lie, or even try to tiptoe around the truth?  Then afterward his speech about what happens when people stop telling the truth - just better and better lies.  He was Stark through and through.  And remember the Starks were Starks long before Ned's six children adopted dire wolves as pets.  Not saying I don't love the wolves, cuz I do, as you can see from my avatar.  Just keeping things in perspective.

And so far all he has done is touch a dragon.  He hasn't adopted one.  Jon will always be a Stark, but he will be Targaryen as well.  Aren't you part of both your mother and father?

He's been with Dany most of the season because he needed to be.  He needed dragon glass and to convince her of the WWs.  After the expedition north of the wall, he was with her because she saved them all.  At the end of the episode he is with her because she is going NORTH with HIM to fight the AotD.

Bending the knee to Dany is the only thing he may have done wrong.  But it could be compared to Ned bending the knee to Joffrey to save his family.  Jon knows he needs Dany to save the north, and she saved him first; it was like an exchange of mutual trust.  Not saying it was necessarily the right way to do it, but it doesn't turn him from a Stark into a Targaryen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Snormund said:

People who say Ghost doesn't matter clearly haven't read the books. 

 

Ive only read the books through once so far (although I do plan to reread them starting soon) and none of Martin's other work but this is so obvious just based on even a basic knowledge of the books. 

Of course the direwolves matter. In fact they matter a lot. But, as you said...in the books. Not on the Show.

Just watched how they killed off Summer and Shaggydog to understand how little D&D care about them.

And it's sad, because I love them, it's really cool for the Stark children to have these amazing pets and protectors, but they are important for a reason the Show has dropped: they woke up the warg powers within the Stark children. And the Stark children don't have these powers on the Show, except for Bran.

Edited by Ingelheim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fearodh said:

This.

Jon was travelling without his pet to Dragonstone, Beyond the Wall and back to Kinds Landing, so Ghost stayed put.

While I am upset at some other things, the omission of Ghost seems ok and logical. No clue why people complain so much about it.

If this is the case Ghost should have been seated between Bran and Sansa during LF's death scene.  That would have been cool, would have added a little fuck yeah to the last scene between Sansa and Arya talking about the pack surviving.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now