Snormund

An Entire Season without Ghost

77 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Of course the direwolves matter. In fact they matter a lot. But, as you said...in the books. Not on the Show.

Just watched how they killed off Summer and Shaggydog to understand how little D&D care about them.

And it's sad, because I love them, it's really cool for the Stark children to have these amazing pets and protectors, but they are important for a reason the Show has dropped: they woke up the warg powers within the Stark children. And the Stark children don't have these powers on the Show, except for Bran.

 

Dont forget Greywind who in the books goes out like a boss killing all kinds of fools until he is finally taken down.  Not in the show he dies in his cage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too upset about the lack of Ghost. The way I see it, he's safer off-screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 28/08/2017 at 5:55 PM, Ser Quork said:

I've hated that we've not seen Ghost, but then if we don't see him, D&D can't kill him - so there's that.

I wouldn't be too sure of that....

Season 8 Episode 1

Jon receives a raven informing him Ghost was killed in a wight attack.

(not a spoiler....just pointing out what the show geniuses D&D are liable to do and that they dont need to show Ghost again at all to kill him off).

Edited by Gaz0680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't Ghost come and go as he pleases in the books? And the wolves in the books have a sense of each other regardless of distance. Maybe he's aware of Nymeria and her wolf pack and is on his own mission to recruit them to fight the long night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Bending the knee to Dany is the only thing he may have done wrong.  But it could be compared to Ned bending the knee to Joffrey to save his family.  Jon knows he needs Dany to save the north, and she saved him first; it was like an exchange of mutual trust.  Not saying it was necessarily the right way to do it, but it doesn't turn him from a Stark into a Targaryen.

At that point, Dany had just pledged to fight the White Walkers, so Jon didn't need to bend the knee and from her reaction she clearly hadn't expected him to. But it's not something wrong. The North has been part of the Seven Kingdoms for a long time, and I'd rather see them united than not. More stable for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next thing u know we'll probably hear he died at the wall 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

At that point, Dany had just pledged to fight the White Walkers, so Jon didn't need to bend the knee and from her reaction she clearly hadn't expected him to. But it's not something wrong. The North has been part of the Seven Kingdoms for a long time, and I'd rather see them united than not. More stable for everyone.

The Northern lords may see it as wrong.  I expect that will be something he will have to deal with when he returns to WF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

The Northern lords may see it as wrong.  I expect that will be something he will have to deal with when he returns to WF.

Probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

He is going to die next season the same way Summer did.  I think that's the absolute best we can hope for.  The worst would be him dying they did Greywind.  Fucking Greywind went down fighting in the books.  And D&D took a giant shit on him.  And Summer and Shaggy to be honest.  

:lol: Thank you for reminding me of how pitifully Summer died. 

Charges into a crowd of oncoming wights...

...immediately slain. Inside of one second. Does nothing to halt the oncoming horde of wights. 

 

:lmao: 

Edited by UnViserion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

The Northern lords may see it as wrong.  I expect that will be something he will have to deal with when he returns to WF.

On the other hand, if he married her, having a Northerner as king consort to the Iron Throne might appease those who were fed up with Southern rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also very upset by Ghosts absence. I don't think budget is a legit excuse. I get that cgi costs money, my husband has worked in vfx for like 10 years so I also know wolves are notoriously difficult to make look good. But this show has one of the largest budgets and with all the spent on dragons upon dragons and a wigt bear that was in no way essential to the plot, it's really just an excuse. And to those who say he didn't serve a purpose in the plot how about protecting Jon north of the wall, or signifying jons stark side while we learn about his Targ side, or how about signifying to Dany that she's not the only one with a special connection to a magical/special creature -would have helped to show him more as danys equal. Oh well here's hoping for season 8.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting if Ghost's scene is in the 'extras' for the DVD.

That has happened. Tho there are scenes that Kate Dickey shot for S3 that we have never seen, as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2017 at 11:18 PM, nymeria_2321 said:

I am also very upset by Ghosts absence. I don't think budget is a legit excuse. I get that cgi costs money, my husband has worked in vfx for like 10 years so I also know wolves are notoriously difficult to make look good. But this show has one of the largest budgets and with all the spent on dragons upon dragons and a wigt bear that was in no way essential to the plot, it's really just an excuse. And to those who say he didn't serve a purpose in the plot how about protecting Jon north of the wall, or signifying jons stark side while we learn about his Targ side, or how about signifying to Dany that she's not the only one with a special connection to a magical/special creature -would have helped to show him more as danys equal. Oh well here's hoping for season 8.  

Yeah I'm very upset by it too as the direwolves are so cool and such a key part of the books.  I think they've pretty much said it's not entirely a budgetary thing, but that they just have not been comfortable with how the cgi wolves have looked and been rendered and they just sort of wrote it off.  I agree that it's a big shame that they spent so much CGI budget on the wight bear which apparently they have wanted to do for years but they can't figure out a way to have Ghost.  

Say what you want about the show and the showrunners, but they have shown a really impressive flair for visuals and staging, even with CGI renderings like the dragons which look AMAZING.  I really wish they would put their talents to work on the direwolves and have them be a much bigger part of the final season.

I'm hopeful that with so many fans clamoring for it they will listen to them and include at least one final scene with Ghost and Nymeria if not more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Sansa said Ghost is waiting for Jon. We should assume he's somewhere in Winterfell. If they don't show him when Jon returns next season, then it's time to be pissed.

Ghost is down in the kennels training Ramsey's horde of hungry hounds. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

Ghost is down in the kennels training Ramsey's horde of hungry hounds. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for ;)

Except Show!Ghost is a noisy son-of-a-bitch (quite literally!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ghost is like the least important absence in the whole show. Only one Stark can warg and it's not Jon, so Ghost is just a sidekick that sometimes helps Jon. He's not a plot device like the dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lancerman said:

Ghost is like the least important absence in the whole show. Only one Stark can warg and it's not Jon, so Ghost is just a sidekick that sometimes helps Jon. He's not a plot device like the dragons.

All the Stark kids are wargs in the books and Ghost is very important to Jon, but books-show, they are different. While it's a little annoying that Ghost is absent, in the context of the show-verse it isn't the worst bit of stupidity the showrunners have made us accept this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now