Height of the mountain in the show

3sm1r

11 hours ago, mankytoes said:

He's six foot nine, Rory Mccann is six foot six. Not much in it really, but Bjornsson is also insanely muscular.

It does bug me a little how often people are described as "six and a half feet" or "seven feet" tall in the books. Those are pretty rare heights. I justify it by thinking that they are only estimates. When "giants" used to be big in freak shows, their heights would always be exagerated, usually by quite a lot.

3 inches can be a big difference.  There is a noticeable difference between people that are 5'9 and 6' tall (3 inches).

3 inches can always make a big difference... *)*

Giants are MUCH taller than even 8ft.  Do you recall when AeJon first saw a giant?  With Ygrette?  The giant walked past them and I wouldn't be surprised if the giant was 20ft tall.

15 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

Giants are MUCH taller than even 8ft.  Do you recall when AeJon first saw a giant?  With Ygrette?  The giant walked past them and I wouldn't be surprised if the giant was 20ft tall.

Of course that giant was played by a 7'5" actor with camera angles and/or CGI. (In fact, the same 7'5" actor was the second guy to play the Mountain.) It's not hard to make a 6'9" actor look much taller than a 6'6" actor if they want to.

12 hours ago, falcotron said:

I think that's intentional. I vaguely remember (but can't find in a search, so I could well be wrong…) an SSM where GRRM says that Greatjon is the kind of person everyone describes as "nearly seven feet" but if you look at the actual descriptions given you can see that he's actually more like six and a half.

So, since the books are written from characters' PoVs rather than an omniscient narrator's, you see the Mountain repeatedly described as nearly eight feet, but that doesn't necessarily mean he really is that tall.

ETA: PS, Icelandic people get confused if you call them by their last name, which is not a family name, but a patronym (in other words, his father's name is Bjorn, and his kids won't be Bjornsson like him, they'll be Hafthorsson). At least he has a second name (Julius); otherwise you'd basically go with "Hafthor the weightlifter" (that's how the phone book works). Or just hold your hand up really high while saying his name; that'd probably work.

Oh really? That's really cool that I saw it the same way as the author!

Icelandic people choose to do last names differently to basically everyone else in the world, I don't care if I confuse them (I think I chose to write his last name as his other names have non-Latin characters). Though I admit I think it's really cool they still do that naming system. It's basically what the mountain clans do- "Shagga son of Dolf"

9 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Oh really? That's really cool that I saw it the same way as the author!

Well, at least you saw it the same way as I vaguely remember the author saying… :)

9 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Icelandic people choose to do last names differently to basically everyone else in the world, I don't care if I confuse them (I think I chose to write his last name as his other names have non-Latin characters).

Just replace the thorn (þ) with a th. You're already dropping all the accents and even turning ö into the separate letter o, so why not? Or, to make it simpler, he responds to "Thor", and, nowadays, even "Mountain", which is pretty easy to remember.

19 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

I noticed that too.  In some scenes, especially when The Hound was standing by him in the dragon pit, they looked almost the same size.  The Hound is NOT as big as The Mountain.  I think they messed up.

I too believe the Mountain should have appeared even just a couple inches taller than the Hound. But.

Even with armor on you could tell that fooker was much bigger/stronger than the Hound so t'was passable to me.. but not perfect.

2 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

He's bigger and taller than Hodor. You read wrong.

Yep:

"Robert Baratheon and his brothers were all big men, as was the Hound, and back at Winterfell there was a simpleminded stableboy named Hodor who dwarfed them all, but the knight they called the Mountain That Rides would have towered over Hodor. He was well over seven feet tall, closer to eight, with massive shoulders and arms thick as the trunks of small trees. "

Archived