Khal Al

Blue Flame of Viserion.

42 posts in this topic

Was Viserion's blue flame hot or cold? I'm guessing that if you can burn wights, it must be cold. Quite possible that he could be easily burned by the other dragons but difficult to say what the effect of his flame would be.

Edited by Khal Al

Perhaps the blue emission is a mechanism by which the ice structure of the wall is lowered to or very close to absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin) which renders the ice so brittle that it collapses under its own weight, rather than melting as with fire. The Night's King somehow through the powers instilled at his creation utilizes the dragon as a means of directing the power.

Remember high school chem class? The Bunsen burner? The blue part was actually the HOTTEST part of the flame.The red part was the "weak" part. I think that's what it was trying to show. How ice can get SO cold it burns, but fire can't get so hot it freezes.

Whatever it was.. it was glorious.

UnViserion is gonna wreak havoc in the North.

It's definitely cold. The dragon died. Froze. The Whole basis of the White Walkers is ice.

Everything is cold, everything is icy, everything is dead.

How the hell does the dragon then breathe HOTTER fire than ever before? That's just pure nonsense. 

It is cold. 

Edited by FireWinds

24 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:

Remember high school chem class? The Bunsen burner? The blue part was actually the HOTTEST part of the flame.The red part was the "weak" part. I think that's what it was trying to show. How ice can get SO cold it burns, but fire can't get so hot it freezes.

That's what I was going to say, although the show can probably get by with saying it's some magical blue fire ice, which doesn't exist in our world. 

I agree that it should be cold. But then I kinda dont get why the wall would be affected so heavily by it...

It's going to be interesting when we see Viserion facing off against one of the other dragons. It's gonna have to happen.

2 hours ago, FireWinds said:

It's definitely cold. The dragon died. Froze. The Whole basis of the White Walkers is ice.

Everything is cold, everything is icy, everything is dead.

How the hell does the dragon then breathe HOTTER fire than ever before? That's just pure nonsense. 

It is cold. 

I'm with you, I really hope it is cold breath.
It's fantasy, but I still have a brain.

Edited by Guilherme Rubira

It's actually both at the same time. Hotter than normal dragonfire, and also nearly as cold as absolute zero.

Viserion is the song of ice and fire, not Jon.

He's also the PtwP. (Remember, the original Valyrian is not "prince", it's "dragon".)

He's also Lightbringer, and the Night King is AAR.

Some fantasy stories explain dragon fire with it being a chemical reaction (it's usually some pseudoscientific nonsense), others go with the simpler "it's magic". GoT hasn't even bothered trying to explain it, so really we have nothing at all to go on.

Thematically, it being extreme cold makes more sense than it being blue fire though.

Not sure how a "flame" of extreme cold could destroy the wall unless it was simply by percussion from solid material (like a jackhammer) or a fast jet of gas. You would think the hot flame from a living dragon would do a better job of it.

Maybe it is void magic.  It is known© the only protections against void magic are plot armor, fan favorite, and author favorite.

I'd think it's just dragonfire that's blue because of whatever animation force makes wights causes color to go to blue.

It's blue because it looks cool and blue is the color of the WW. Nothing more.

12 minutes ago, Ghosteline said:

Seemed like a high-voltage laser-beam

Ah the Enterprise Viserion has upgraded phasers.