Super Mario

What will Dany & Aejon name their heir?

101 posts in this topic

  • Dany: If I don't make it, name him after my brother.
  • Gilly: Don't say that, Sam is the best physician in Westeros. He cured Jorah, and that was impossible.
  • Sam: I'm doing my best, but there's really a lot of blood here.
  • Dany: Aaaaargh!
  • Baby: Waaaah!
  • Gilly: You're named after your grandfather, Ragger.

Unfortunately, Gilly holding him up and naming him counts as an official naming ceremony by Westerosi law, so the name can never be changed.

Ragger Targaryen, First of His Name, it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lyan if it's a boy, and Neddy if it's a girl. Or not :D

Maybe they won't use names like Lyanna, Eddard, Rhaegar, Aemon, Yugritte, etc. Maybe they will give their baby fresh name, without any historical luggage behind it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Maybe they will give their baby fresh name, without any historical luggage behind it.

George has a nice ring to it. There seems to be nobody in Westeros with that name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhaego, after the baby Dany lost?

 

I don't know whether her pregnancy of 9 months would work with the speeding timeline of the show.  Don't know if it's possible to have a child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, falcotron said:
  • Dany: If I don't make it, name him after my brother.
  • Gilly: Don't say that, Sam is the best physician in Westeros. He cured Jorah, and that was impossible.
  • Sam: I'm doing my best, but there's really a lot of blood here.
  • Dany: Aaaaargh!
  • Baby: Waaaah!
  • Gilly: You're named after your grandfather, Ragger.

Unfortunately, Gilly holding him up and naming him counts as an official naming ceremony by Westerosi law, so the name can never be changed.

Ragger Targaryen, First of His Name, it is.

Ragger My God He's Heavy Targaryen, First of His Name, Unburnt and Defrosted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hoo said:

Rhaego, after the baby Dany lost?

 

I don't know whether her pregnancy of 9 months would work with the speeding timeline of the show.  Don't know if it's possible to have a child.

At the current pace the baby was born before they even hooked up. 

But more seriously I'd almost expect that before the end of the series Dany and possibly Cersie will either be showing very big baby bumps or have given birth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 9:10 PM, Krishtotter said:

The scene where Jon and Daenerys have sex, while Tyrion is seen sulking outside in the hallway, reminded me of Tolkien's Children of Hurin.

In that book the characters Niënor and Turumbar are long separated siblings who, upon coming into contact in adulthood while exiled in a place called Brethil, develop a strong romantic attraction (unfortunately, this disturbing phenomenon is a recognised reality in science, called "genetic attraction").  

Brandir, the Chieftain of the Men of Brethil who is lame (physically disabled), tended Niënor when she was sick and became her closest confidante, secretly falling in love with her;  Niënor however, loved Turumbar. Brandir restrained her from marriage, firstly out of jealousy of Turumbar - who is healthy, younger than him and has supplanted him as chieftain - and secondly because he felt sure it would lead to certain doom.

They fail to heed his warnings and marry, not realising their kinship, and Niënor becomes pregnant. When they discover the truth (Turumbar finding out from a spiteful Brandir after his sister/wife had already been driven mad and committed suicide with the revelation of her incest, killing the child in her womb along with her), it leads to their demise.

There are significant differences but in essence both plots involve two people who think they are unrelated soul-mates having sex, while another person, who is somehow disabled/deformed, is (seemingly) jealous of the relationship and loves the woman, while also (appearing) to fear that it could or will lead to "doom".

Jon/Aegon's greater claim to the Iron Throne and status as her nephew could enable Tyrion or Jorah to (at least attempt to) sow friction between them, out of jealousy. It certainly complicates matters, even though Targs have engaged in incest for centuries. 

We should recall that GRRM originally intended Jon to be in a love triangle with his sister Arya and Tyrion. It seems that Dany has replaced Arya in the final endgame. 

 

We'll if you're going to consider a literary influence you should probably look at Oedipus as the source for both stories https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_Rex  

Eddard if it's a boy

Lyana or Ygritte would both make sense for a girl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 0:53 PM, Super Mario said:

The foreshadowing of Dany's fertility in the Dragon Pit when Aejon claimed Mirri Maz Duur was an unreliable source was about as subtle as a kick to the nads from the Ironborn. So it would seem safe to assume that after their romp on the Love Boat, Dany & Aejon are expecting. So what do they name the next heir to the Iron Throne?

How 'bout Eddard Targaryan for a boy

or Ygritte Targaryan for a little princess

(I'm assuming since Jon will allow Dany to act as ruling Queen, he'll get naming rights)

I'm confused. Why would they change the spelling of Targaryen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 1:57 PM, xander_blackfyre said:

Aenys or Rhagar if its boy

Lyanna if its a girl

Well Rhaegar was Aerys son and nephew, so Dany would have been Aerys daughter and niece so daughter/son and cousin while still all kinds of messed up in the history of Targaryens isn't as messed up as it could be.

Aenys!? Why would anyone do that to their child. Heir to the throne or not, his school-age years are going to be hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked at Stark Kings today and there was an Edderion. The kid could rhyme! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 3:39 AM, greensleeves said:

:stillsick::ack::stillsick:

This is gonna be the worst magical baby since twilight (please by some miracle let this not happen). It should have a name that reflects that.

This. 

It's not even the incest that irks me anymore. 

Edited by tinka10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever it is, it can't be any worse than Renesmee or Albus Severus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lyanna for a girl seems to be a popular choice

I think it will be neat if they name their son Tyrion, but Eddard or Rhaegar would make more sense

Edited by 4 Eyed Crow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not Rhaella? she is Dany's mom and she died during childbirth just like Lyanna. Plus she is Jon's grandma as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if they don't actually have a kid and all the talk of Dany not being able to get pregnant was true and they just repeated it so much to beat it into the audience's head to set up her decision next year to walk away from him so that he can have kids with someone else and carry on the Targaryen line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

What if they don't actually have a kid and all the talk of Dany not being able to get pregnant was true and they just repeated it so much to beat it into the audience's head to set up her decision next year to walk away from him so that he can have kids with someone else and carry on the Targaryen line?

Well, then the question is who does Daenerys push Jon into marrying to perpetuate House Targaryen? There aren't that many options on the Show.

Jon's list of possible alternatives to Daenerys for perpetuating House Targaryen is fairly short. I mean, the list of named females of noble blood is pretty short right now - there's Alys Karstark (not happening, even if she weren't doomed at Karhold with the Wall breached), Lyanna Mormont (way too young, and probably too low rank to be acceptable to Daenerys), Sansa and Arya Stark (while they're Jon's cousins, not his sisters now, they grew up together as siblings), one of the named female Freys (not happening, they're Freys), Cersei Lannister (lolno), Ellaria Sand (not happening), maybe Tyene Sand (if she lasts long enough to get found and be given the antidote, which seems improbable), or Yara Greyjoy (assuming she can be recovered from Euron in good enough condition).

 

More likely, IMO, is that if Daenerys hasn't realized she's pregnant when she comes to learn and believes that Jon is Rhaegar's son, then Daenerys will start trying to either push Jon to marry and have children with someone else in order to continue House Targaryen, or push Jon into a polygamous relationship and have a sister-wife in order to have children to continue House Targaryen. However, when Daenerys realizes that she's pregnant, she'll embrace her relationship with Jon even more.

It'll depend in large part on the timing of the R+L=J reveal to Jon, and then how long it takes for Daenerys to learn about it and then believe in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there won't be any children for Jon and Dany, then I can only see him continuing the Targaryen line with Arya. I'm still rooting for Jon and Dany though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

Well, then the question is who does Daenerys push Jon into marrying to perpetuate House Targaryen? There aren't that many options on the Show.

Jon's list of possible alternatives to Daenerys for perpetuating House Targaryen is fairly short. I mean, the list of named females of noble blood is pretty short right now - there's Alys Karstark (not happening, even if she weren't doomed at Karhold with the Wall breached), Lyanna Mormont (way too young, and probably too low rank to be acceptable to Daenerys), Sansa and Arya Stark (while they're Jon's cousins, not his sisters now, they grew up together as siblings), one of the named female Freys (not happening, they're Freys), Cersei Lannister (lolno), Ellaria Sand (not happening), maybe Tyene Sand (if she lasts long enough to get found and be given the antidote, which seems improbable), or Yara Greyjoy (assuming she can be recovered from Euron in good enough condition).

 

More likely, IMO, is that if Daenerys hasn't realized she's pregnant when she comes to learn and believes that Jon is Rhaegar's son, then Daenerys will start trying to either push Jon to marry and have children with someone else in order to continue House Targaryen, or push Jon into a polygamous relationship and have a sister-wife in order to have children to continue House Targaryen. However, when Daenerys realizes that she's pregnant, she'll embrace her relationship with Jon even more.

It'll depend in large part on the timing of the R+L=J reveal to Jon, and then how long it takes for Daenerys to learn about it and then believe in it.

I think that analysis is pretty spot on. The lack of obvious suitors makes that possibility fairly remote and I can't image they would actually go in the Jon - Arya direction.... i say that as i nervously think back to george's original outline

Edited by jcmontea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I think that analysis is pretty spot on. The lack of obvious suitors makes that possibility fairly remote and I can't image they would actually go in the Jon - Arya direction.... i say that as i nervously think back to george's original outline

Agreed. At least, for the Show. The books could still have a Jon + Arya relationship that goes that way. On the other hand, the books also have a whole lot more eligible noble bachelorettes (and noble bachelors for Daenerys) around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now