Snormund

Can we talk about Jon?

310 posts in this topic

Unless Dany's supposed pregnancy is the biggest red herring ever, I too find it very likely that they will marry. Jon won't father a bastard.

The fact that no one has actually suggested that they should get married yet, despite the logic of it, leads me to further believe that it will happen. It's a classic TV-trope. If people (Tyrion, Davos) started suggesting it back in episode 3 (or even season 6), then no one would be surprised if they ended up marrying. But by not mentioning it, the show keeps us in "suspense".

Edit: As for the dragonglass-discussion. It doesn't matter that it's useless for Dany. What matters is that it's priceless for Jon and it was something he badly wanted and needed. Her not only giving it to him, but also providing him resources and men to speed up the process while asking for nothing in return is a massive sign of good will. She could've just as easily said "nah" when Jon asked for it, or demanded something in return, but she didn't. Jon's reaction when she tells him he can have it without him having to do anything in return says it all: he can barely believe her.

Edited by MinscS2

Oh Jon, Jon, Jon...

I don't know why I'm surprised he ended up bending the knee to Daenerys. I always knew they'd end up on the same team, but I didn't think he'd relinquish the North at a point where he had no reason to relinquish it. Daenerys saw the army of the dead herself, and lost Viserion as a result. There was no doubt she'd be on board to protect Westeros from invasion, especially if she wants the loyalty of the people and remaining houses. But then again, Jon never wanted to be King, so he got what he wanted in a way, and some sex as a bonus. I just can't see this ending well for either of them now, and I think Westeros will suffer for it.

Edited by tinka10

5 hours ago, tinka10 said:

Oh Jon, Jon, Jon...

I don't know why I'm surprised he ended up bending the knee to Daenerys. I always knew they'd end up on the same team, but I didn't think he'd relinquish the North at a point where he had no reason to relinquish it. Daenerys saw the army of the dead herself, and lost Viserion as a result. There was no doubt she'd be on board to protect Westeros from invasion, especially if she wants the loyalty of the people and remaining houses. But then again, Jon never wanted to be King, so he got what he wanted in a way, and some sex as a bonus. I just can't see this ending well for either of them now, and I think Westeros will suffer for it.

It could easily end well for them. There is enough foreshadowing and developed character traits where things ending well would be quite natural and organic to the story. 

Will it end well? Hmm. Not sure. There is enough potential foreshadowing for their deaths and the whole Nissa Nissa thing that it could certainly go in a more dark direction. But then again, George has said the Lord of the Rings is his idea of a bittersweet ending so that makes me thing we won't get tragedy here.

8 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Unless Dany's supposed pregnancy is the biggest red herring ever, I too find it very likely that they will marry. Jon won't father a bastard.

The fact that no one has actually suggested that they should get married yet, despite the logic of it, leads me to further believe that it will happen. It's a classic TV-trope. If people (Tyrion, Davos) started suggesting it back in episode 3 (or even season 6), then no one would be surprised if they ended up marrying. But by not mentioning it, the show keeps us in "suspense".

Edit: As for the dragonglass-discussion. It doesn't matter that it's useless for Dany. What matters is that it's priceless for Jon and it was something he badly wanted and needed. Her not only giving it to him, but also providing him resources and men to speed up the process while asking for nothing in return is a massive sign of good will. She could've just as easily said "nah" when Jon asked for it, or demanded something in return, but she didn't. Jon's reaction when she tells him he can have it without him having to do anything in return says it all: he can barely believe her.

If George goes with the whole fire wight idea and Jon is a fire wight, can Jon even get Dany pregnant? although they clearly had sex so blood had to have been flowing somewhere. 

Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he’s a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he’s got all these scars, he’s becoming more and more physically hideous, because he’s not a living human being anymore. His heart isn’t beating, his blood isn’t flowing in his veins, he’s a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we’re getting back to the whole fire and ice thing.

2 hours ago, jcmontea said:

If George goes with the whole fire wight idea and Jon is a fire wight, can Jon even get Dany pregnant? although they clearly had sex so blood had to have been flowing somewhere. 

Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he’s a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he’s got all these scars, he’s becoming more and more physically hideous, because he’s not a living human being anymore. His heart isn’t beating, his blood isn’t flowing in his veins, he’s a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we’re getting back to the whole fire and ice thing.

I'm not really buying the fire wight-theory myself, it feels like an intentional misdirection from GRRM.
Jon may very well be a Fire Wight (whatever that is), but if he is, then being a Fire Wight works differently in the show than how he stated it would in that interview: Jon's heart is beating, his blood is flowing in his veins (we see him bleed and we can assume that he as you point out, had an erection), he eats, breathes, sleeps, etc. He's even freezing after falling into the cold water. 
All his bodily organs seems to function still, which should include his genitalia. :P

3 hours ago, jcmontea said:

If George goes with the whole fire wight idea and Jon is a fire wight, can Jon even get Dany pregnant?

Don't underestimate his abilities ^_^

10 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I'm not really buying the fire wight-theory myself, it feels like an intentional misdirection from GRRM.

I also think that this fire wight is bullsh*t. Uncle Benjin was a walking rotting corpse, if Jon is not exactly a living being, then he may not last long enough to defeat NK and his Undead Army, he will decomposs sooner than that.

37 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I also think that this fire wight is bullsh*t. Uncle Benjin was a walking rotting corpse, if Jon is not exactly a living being, then he may not last long enough to defeat NK and his Undead Army, he will decomposs sooner than that.

:wacko: Eww... lol. :D

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Jon may very well be a Fire Wight (whatever that is), but if he is, then being a Fire Wight works differently in the show than how he stated it would in that interview: Jon's heart is beating, his blood is flowing in his veins (we see him bleed and we can assume that he as you point out, had an erection), he eats, breathes, sleeps, etc. He's even freezing after falling into the cold water. 
All his bodily organs seems to function still, which should include his genitalia. :P

This reminds me of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer debate over whether vampires could even have sex :D.  In short, I don't think it's something we should think about too much or look into too much.  It's simply story-telling and you can either go with it or not.

16 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

He's going to propose to Dany.

His calling her "my Queen" almost sounded like a proposal.

His "I've pledged myself" was more of the writers basically beating us over the head with a marriage is coming.

They've fallen in love and will get married and have babies.  His bending the knee will turn out to mean nothing in the big scheme.  They'll rule together as equals.

A part of me is okay with this as it would finally fulfill the broken marriage pact of Fire and Ice between houses Stark and Targaryen from long officially. Sure on the show Lyanna and Rhaegar did just that but they actually tore the realm apart instead of fully bringing it together. 

14 hours ago, jcmontea said:

It could easily end well for them. There is enough foreshadowing and developed character traits where things ending well would be quite natural and organic to the story. 

Will it end well? Hmm. Not sure. There is enough potential foreshadowing for their deaths and the whole Nissa Nissa thing that it could certainly go in a more dark direction. But then again, George has said the Lord of the Rings is his idea of a bittersweet ending so that makes me thing we won't get tragedy here.

Instead of Jon and/or Daenerys outright dying in the end, I'd lean towards a more Arthurian-esque ending for one or both of them, although that really fits Jon better than it fits Daenerys.

14 hours ago, jcmontea said:

11 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Yeah, no, Jon's not going to be brought back by Mel the way Beric was in the books.

For that matter, even on the show Jon was brought back very differently from the way Thoros brought back Beric.

Besides, if in the books, Jon wasn't killed outright, Val is right there and probably can and probably will try save his life. And I'd give decent odds that Jon's body isn't going to be too far gone to for her to heal, and even if he's normally be too far gone for his soul to return, hanging out in Ghost gives his soul an opportunity to return, albeit changed by his experiences.

Alternatively, if Jon isn't killed outright Mel could probably do a fire-healing on him like Moqorro did to Victarion.