Skills

Tyrion the peeping tom

16 posts in this topic

At first when they had that scene with somebody spying on Jon walking into Dany's bedroom, I thought for sure it would be a jealous Jorah.

But why is Tyrion there?  And why does he look so upset/confused?  Does he think Jon and Dany's romance is going to cloud their judgement?  

He will lose his position as Queen's Hand when Dany starts listening to Jon more.

I think Tyrion is definitely re-evaluating his life choices lol. He, of all people, understands that love and politics do not mix. As Aemon once said, love is the death of duty. He and Varys have already struggled bringing Daenery's to heel this season, and an intimate relationship with Jon could easily hinder her abilities to lead a successful campaign against Cercei and the dead.

I just think Tyrion read the Free Folk leaks for Season 7 and is disappointed boatsex was an actual thing that happened.

31 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I just think Tyrion read the Free Folk leaks for Season 7 and is disappointed boatsex was an actual thing that happened.

:lol:

Brilliant!

But seriously, I think the show runners did want to elicit some jealousy in Tyrion over the situation. Maybe Jorah is about to die and Tyrion becomes the new Jorah, much like Barristan making way for Tyrion in Meereen. Who knows with this show!

I just thought he was going to discuss something with Dany, but felt disturbed that he was greeted by the sound of boatsex. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:50 PM, Skills said:

At first when they had that scene with somebody spying on Jon walking into Dany's bedroom, I thought for sure it would be a jealous Jorah.

But why is Tyrion there?  And why does he look so upset/confused?  Does he think Jon and Dany's romance is going to cloud their judgement?  

This was my reading but there's so many directions they can go.  I remember before the season Dinklage gave an interview where he said Tyrion was "smitten" with Dany, although there was literally NOTHING indicating that until this final scene.  I've also read an interview with the director of the episode who said he didn't think it was supposed to convey anything romantic or jealousy, but what you said.  Worried about clouding Dany's judgment.  

One final interpretation is that if you notice when Dany opens the door for Jon she is looking down, so that's been read as she was expecting Tyrion for some kind of meeting, which would explain why Tyrion was lurking around her room.  

On 8/28/2017 at 0:50 PM, Skills said:

Give the poor guy a break! He deserves better :)

20 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

This was my reading but there's so many directions they can go.  I remember before the season Dinklage gave an interview where he said Tyrion was "smitten" with Dany, although there was literally NOTHING indicating that until this final scene.  I've also read an interview with the director of the episode who said he didn't think it was supposed to convey anything romantic or jealousy, but what you said.  Worried about clouding Dany's judgment.  

One final interpretation is that if you notice when Dany opens the door for Jon she is looking down, so that's been read as she was expecting Tyrion for some kind of meeting, which would explain why Tyrion was lurking around her room.  

Tyrion been smitten with Dany has clouded his judgement. That's why his advice has been so poor. He didn't want Dany taking any risks. He will sharpen up his act now.

1 hour ago, Deminelle said:

Tyrion been smitten with Dany has clouded his judgement. That's why his advice has been so poor. He didn't want Dany taking any risks. He will sharpen up his act now.

I don't see it that way.  The way the show portrayed it, his advice has largely been poor because he still has feelings for his family, i.e. Jaime, and doesn't want to just kill him.  That's why you had Dany call him out on that and all those scenes of a guilt-ridden Tyrion watching the destruction of the Lannister army after the Loot Train Battle (what an awful name BTW :D for an awesome battle).  

I think it makes more sense now for Tyrion to be wary of Jon/Dany for that exact same reason- his emotional attachments made him give bad advice and maybe he sees that happening for Dany, who is headstrong to begin with.  

Because he can't escape the incest. No matter where he goes.

12 hours ago, tinka10 said:

an intimate relationship with Jon could easily hinder her abilities to lead a successful campaign against Cercei and the dead

It couldn't possibly bring more harm to her campaign than his season 7 advise already has... Might even help her.  

I've been thinking about this a lot too. As far as Tyrion's scenes in the episode, I'm bothered by this one and the one with Cersei that cut away without showing what Tyrion said to her to convince her to join the fight (or pretend to). I really don't want to think of Tyrion as a traitor, but he is a manipulator, so I think he made some kind of deal with Cersei that this relationship between Jon and Dany could undo. I have some thoughts about what that could be, but nothing good enough to put out there.

4 hours ago, DesertRose said:

I've been thinking about this a lot too. As far as Tyrion's scenes in the episode, I'm bothered by this one and the one with Cersei that cut away without showing what Tyrion said to her to convince her to join the fight (or pretend to). I really don't want to think of Tyrion as a traitor, but he is a manipulator, so I think he made some kind of deal with Cersei that this relationship between Jon and Dany could undo. I have some thoughts about what that could be, but nothing good enough to put out there.

Same here. Those two scenes you mentioned have made me suspicious about Tyrion. And that maybe is what they want us thinking. It could be something positive though. Tyrion is one of only few people who know about Cersei's pregnancy. He may be the only one besides Jon and Dany who will know about their boatsex. If it later comes to them hiding their relationship but Dany getting pregnant, it's Tyrion, who will know the truth. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:50 PM, Skills said:

Maybe it is another hint alluding to Tyrion being a Targ as well. (He wants in on the incest as well) 

10 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

I don't see it that way.  The way the show portrayed it, his advice has largely been poor because he still has feelings for his family, i.e. Jaime, and doesn't want to just kill him.  That's why you had Dany call him out on that and all those scenes of a guilt-ridden Tyrion watching the destruction of the Lannister army after the Loot Train Battle (what an awful name BTW :D for an awesome battle).  

I think it makes more sense now for Tyrion to be wary of Jon/Dany for that exact same reason- his emotional attachments made him give bad advice and maybe he sees that happening for Dany, who is headstrong to begin with.  

This is spot on i think. 

The only other thing I would add is the show has also portayed Tyrion as going full on idealist while having a fear of Dany given her father. He believes in dany and the better world she wants to build but seems unwilling to sully things to get there or have Dany sully herself by being too ruthless. Its like him killing his father was not only a physical act but also a metaphorical act whereby he killed any and all realism he learned from Tywin. 

If he is going to have any hope of keeping his job next season he needs to embrace some of Tywin's methods while coupling them to Dany's moralism and idealism instead of the pure self interest Tywin followed. Ironically she has a better handle on that than he does as she tells Jon "sometimes strength is terrible"