U.S. Politics: Houston Avoids Second Disaster

Manhole Eunuchsbane

On 9/1/2017 at 10:34 AM, Shryke said:

Hasn't been a major issues for the many places that already do it. And given what's going on in the US for a long time now and how it's continually leading to newer and newer heights, I'd suggest the US approach is very obviously not working. (see - the next amendment for another example of the same)

You can't control what people think at home directly but that's never the point. The point is to not let them say it in public where the ideas can spread. There's a reason basically every source I've seen is saying their reports of hate-crimes are up since Trump became a prominent figure. The public display and acceptance of ideologies promotes and spreads them.

And bad market regulation is just as bad in any kind of market. The right of Nazis to push their ideology is as useful and non-harmful as the right of a butcher to sell mishandled meat. I don't see where you are finding the limit in the analogy. The market doesn't produce optimal outcomes left to it's own devices, as you say, and the harm is just as real.

Except it’s my understanding that the rise of right wing parties in Europe has been a problem of late. So, I’m not real sure how effective these speech codes really are. It doesn’t seem to me that the empirical case is real strong here.

And I’m not real sure that speech codes would have stopped Trump. White resentment can work on a much more subtle level ie see Lee Atwater.

And if you want to ban Nazi's fine. Go ahead. I doubt that does much to free speech.But, I doubt it gets you a whole lot, if where talking about the politics of white resentment.

And yes, I reject the complete analogy between regulation of economic markets and free speech. If you give the government too much power to regulate speech, then you cant challenge the government on just about anything, whether its bad economic policy or anything else. And of course determining whether you're getting the optimal amount of free speech might be a very, very tricky empirical exercise, as compared to studying markets.

Archived