Lena Headey is good, but rereading the books I picture Cersei more like this

LHakaLH

The character's name is Ilithiya from the Starz' series "Spartacus", played by actress Viva Bianca. I just finished watching Spartacus and started rereading the books (I'm starting AKOK) and after reading the Ned and Tyrion chapters that feature Cersei, Illythia's the first thing that came to my mind. I think she manages to nail the character of book Cersei down to a T, even making up for some of the traits Lena Heady's more sympathetic-less evil TV Cersei lacks (Don't get me wrong, nobody could ever replace Lena in the HBO TV show, the books are another story ;) ). Being this incredibly beautiful but cruel, nasty, dislikable, petty, vindictive, impulsive, promiscuous, stupid woman; an evil duplicitous snake hidden beneath the facade of a serene, beautiful queen.

What do you all think? 

George did say he pictured Nicole Kidman to be his Cersei onscreen. An issue with that, aside from Kidman not doing GoT type work, is he says he knew they couldn't get a male actor who looks enough like her to play Jaime. 

But, seeing how show!Jaime turned out, they could have used Steve Buscemi for Jaime and it would have fit. (No offense to the amazing Steve Buscemi)

Lena doesn't look like I imagine Cersei in my mind. She is an attractive woman, but looks a bit too harsh and though sometimes. The show also put more focus on her as a mother, which I don't really care for. In the books she is quite seductive, I don't know why this was changed for the show. I always thought that Cersei should look  more soft, a bit like a fairytale princess, very feminine and pretty. I don't picture Kidman at all, Charlize would be almost perfect though. The thing about Lena that I really like is her voice. She doesn't look like a Cersei, but she sounds like I imagine Cersei would sound like.

Show Cersei and Book Cersei are so different I think it's almost pointless to compare them. Lena is absolutely the best Show Cersei they could have ever chosen; she nails it.

Book Cersei in my mind looks like Charlize Theron in Snow White and the Huntsman, as Faint already mentioned. Those crazy eyes...

I loved Lena Headey as Cersei in the first 5 seasons.  I don't recognize this cold witch with short hair who is always glowering - not enough feistiness in her eyes.  Not nearly crazy enough, not nearly stupid enough.  I definitely could go from Viva Bianca as Cersei, she would be pretty good.

@RhaenysB isn't Viva Bianca your avatar?

23 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I loved Lena Headey as Cersei in the first 5 seasons.  I don't recognize this cold witch with short hair who is always glowering - not enough feistiness in her eyes.  Not nearly crazy enough, not nearly stupid enough.  I definitely could go from Viva Bianca as Cersei, she would be pretty good.

LOL what! Did you not see this season? Ever since they turned her into the short haired witched TV Cersei has become crazier and crazier by the minute! Will be interesting to see the route book bald Cersei goes.

3 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

LOL what! Did you not see this season? Ever since they turned her into the short haired witched TV Cersei has become crazier and crazier by the minute! Will be interesting to see the route book bald Cersei goes.

I'm pretty sure Cersei will grow her hair back out in the books by the time Daenerys gets to Westeros, so we won't have to worry about that, but in reference to her levels of crazy, Cersei actually made some smart strategic moves considering her goal of keeping the iron throne at all costs.  Book Cersei would never be able to convince guys like Randyll Tarly to support her.  Hell didn't Aurane Waters and the Kettlebacks betray her?  People were not afraid of and do not respect Book Cersei.  And when I say crazy, I want my mad queen Cersei to be a little more animated and unhinged.  She was soooo quiet and calculating, even when giving that sand snake the poison kiss.  I'd just want her to be a bit more unhinged is all.

9 hours ago, Faint said:

Cersei has always been Charlize Theron since I imagined her, even before Snow White and the Huntsman came out and made the vision picture perfect. 

Theron has always been my ideal choice.  Not just for looks, she can play entitled-crazy-evil better than anyone I can imagine.  That being said, Lena Headey is an indispensable asset to the show (if to the chagrin of many that wish for Cersei's death).  Her scenes with both brothers carried the finale, and she'll always have a special place in my heart as Sarah Connor in my favorite TV show that was canceled far too soon.

18 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Not right now, but she is indeed one of my go-to blondes. Probably my most used avatar this past year. 

And that's exactly my overall opinion about show Cersei  in all seasons.  I agree that Viva Bianca would make a better (aka more book faithful) Cersei, but to me Alissa Sutherland's season 4 Vikings performance was what Cersei should have been. (Her crazy drunk queen is far more superior than Lena's imo)

20 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I'm pretty sure Cersei will grow her hair back out in the books by the time Daenerys gets to Westeros, so we won't have to worry about that, but in reference to her levels of crazy, Cersei actually made some smart strategic moves considering her goal of keeping the iron throne at all costs.  Book Cersei would never be able to convince guys like Randyll Tarly to support her.  Hell didn't Aurane Waters and the Kettlebacks betray her?  People were not afraid of and do not respect Book Cersei.  And when I say crazy, I want my mad queen Cersei to be a little more animated and unhinged.  She was soooo quiet and calculating, even when giving that sand snake the poison kiss.  I'd just want her to be a bit more unhinged is all.

She could try, but she'd probably have to open her legs LOL

Archived