Aegon the Conqueror vs The Others

UFT

43 minutes ago, devilish said:

I will be very surprised if the others don't have a trick in their sleeve to beat that. Else the AWOIF will end with the North waving at the others while they send waves and waves of zombies knocking at that enormous wall door without ever being able to breach/pass through. 

I have no doubt the Others have a way to beat the Wall in the current time frame. I'm not sure they would have just after the Conquest; it depends on what their method to get past it is and when they accquired said method. They could have a way past in 5/6 AC but its also possible that their plan in the books (whatever it is) isn't viable until 298.

But yeah its not like the Others have any shortage of bodies to throw at the Wall and we know they can cross the wall with the help of a black brother. All it takes is one brother with the same train of thought as the Nights King and they're through. Even without a way to destroy the wall there are ways around it.

4 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

I have no doubt the Others have a way to beat the Wall in the current time frame. I'm not sure they would have just after the Conquest; it depends on what their method to get past it is and when they accquired said method. They could have a way past in 5/6 AC but its also possible that their plan in the books (whatever it is) isn't viable until 298.

But yeah its not like the Others have any shortage of bodies to throw at the Wall and we know they can cross the wall with the help of a black brother. All it takes is one brother with the same train of thought as the Nights King and they're through. Even without a way to destroy the wall there are ways around it.

We know so little about the Others. We know they exist, that they are necromancers and they once fought against the first men + the children of the forest. We don't know their motives and what makes them tick. Maybe the others were always a threat but the freefolk were always able to control that threat up until they got Craster help (ie he gave them babies and their population increased). Maybe they are linked to the Starks and were awaken once Rickard/Brandon were burnt alive (king's blood, fire sacrifice etc). Or maybe they are part of a cycle were they do maximum damage, they store food and then go back to hibernation again. 

Those who fought them had long gone. Their knowledge is so old that it became myth. The wall they built to keep the others out was requisitioned by the NW who swapped dragon glass with swords and changed their stance from fighting the dead to fighting the living (ie the freefolk). That served the Other's greatly as, at one point, the freefolk became too weak to keep the others at bay providing the necromancers with an army to use. Also note that swords are barely useful against this enemy.

In my opinion the North was way stronger during Torrhen time then now. The NW and the North had more men, the wall was better manned and the relationship between the freefolk and the North was strained but hardly beyond repair. Certain things never changed though, including the Starks obsession in overrating themselves. Actually on that regard I think that the North are worse off then then they are now. I mean, I can't see Jon Snow or any of the Starks really, suggesting that he goes solo in the middle of the night, infiltrate a camp of 40k soldiers and kill 3 dragons the size of a crane by himself.  Which suggest that Torrhen would have at least tried to stop the enemy himself before asking help to Aegon especially since that help would be interpreted as a weakness by the conqueror who would probably ask him to bend the knee soon afterwards.

Woah, there devilish, we don't know they fought the Children. We know the last hero sought out the Children and when he found them, the War for the Dawn ended. That's all we know, well, from the books, don't spoil me with show stuff.

The rest of your post, spot on. I have assumed a level of prescience on the side of the Others, maybe they saw this massive southern conflict coming and decided to take advantage. But yes, this is probably the weakest the North has been since before the Wall.

Also, Aegon for all his desire to be the big boss had honour and I think he would not attack the North while they were busy fighting off an army of ice demons, but maybe I am giving him too much credit. As to the Weirwood arrows thing, it's very likely possible the Old Gods were guiding Brandon, so he likely felt invincible.

Archived