Casting the Movie Continued

Lyanna Stark-Targaryen

The old thread is now closed because it got too long, but the project certainly isn't done.

The website is: http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/ you know the drill.

I like how the suggested bloodriders look, I'll put those in when I have time later today. As for the Blackfish, I'm certainly open to changing him as long as we put someone better in. Just say the word and consider it done. :)

The link to the first thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=12234

We do need to rework the Daynes, period....theyr'e supposed to be fair with black hair. the pic of Arthur Dayne shows him with long black hair, medium build next to Gerold...

Okay, YES. I'm sorry, but the Daynes cannot be Hispanic. That is all wrong.

Lightsnake -

On the Daynes...

I'm sorry, but why can't the Daynes be exceptional-looking AND fair-skinned? They're going to look exceptional enough with the purple eyes, even if Dany and Viserys have them. I just...okay, I just do NOT see the Daynes as Hispanic, AT ALL. I have nothing against Hispanic people. It just doesn't work for me. I actually always imagined Ashara as having blonde hair anyway, so double no.

Or if he’s not Gendry, he would make a much better SmallJohn than Shawn Ashmore (who I think is too much of a weed to be an Umber).

Agreed, I was really surprised to see Ashmore as the Smalljon, especially since previously the Smalljon was Brad Garrett. We need someone beefier.

Edit: woohoooo, that one made me a Noble! Good thing I felt so strongly about Daynes being played by Hispanic people. LOL

Just want to agree that Tricia and Jensen may very well be the hottest "twins" ever

With those two I say bring on the twincest!

Can I get a HELL, YES! And if it's wrong then I don't want to be right!

to ICeberg: I'm sorry, but there's really no reason for Sam Elliot to be there as the Blackfish;. He's not even a good actor, let alone for such a cool role and Irons tops him int eh department easily.

I still say (almost) anything Irons can do Rickman can do better. He's not at all 'too distinctive' as you said. Indeed he's the kind of actor who can disappear into any role he plays. Compare him in Die Hard and Sense and Sensibility, Robin Hood and Truly Madly Deeply, Harry Potter and Snow Cake. Utterly different every time.

I don't think Irons is quite craggy enough to be Brynden. Rickman would play the stubborness perfectly, and the dismissive sneer he has to give Jaime.

And Mike Vogel is still masquerading as Steve Sandvoss! Trust me, I've been obsessed with Steve for nearly three years - I promise you, that is not him in that picture! He would never have such bad hair...

to ICeberg: I'm sorry, but there's really no reason for Sam Elliot to be there as the Blackfish;. He's not even a good actor, let alone for such a cool role and Irons tops him int eh department easily.

and yeah, we need new Daynes...any thoughtts there?

Yeah, I was disagreeing with both of you, man. I said Scott Glenn. Look at the amoka portrait and then at the pic Lyanna put up. There's a lot more resemblance than either Irons or Elliott. Glenn's a good enough actor. If he can play Barristan he can play the Blackfish.

And what did people think of Jason Statham as Jorah since Bridges is getting too old for the role?

Perhaps a list of characters who haven't been cast would be helpful on your site? So we can focus on those, instead of re-casting those already complete.

There is, look at the full character list. The ones who've been cast are at the top, but the bottom list is all people who still need parts. :)

Ok, that's great. Rickman rocks, we know. That's no need to constantly sling him around. The role of Brynden seems better built for Jeremy, since he can pull off the knight better

I'm not slinging him around! I wasn't even the first person to suggest him as Brynden, I just like the idea!

One name for the Blackfish - Sean Connery

"Ah, Kingshlayer ... I ashume you have returned to fulfill the oaths you shwore my nieshe..."

Lyanna, you might want to put in a list of actors in too, like you list of characters.

As for an actor I'd recommend, Ed Norton, if you haven't put him in somewhere already.

I've been doing that for awhile, but the list is big and I don't have a lot of blocks of time to do it. I'm going to try to get that up soon though. :)

Let's see...

Jared Padalecki as the Smalljon... I like it. I suggested Shawn Ashmore simply because I couldn't come up with anyone else. I think he's a fine choice for the role. He's big (6'4"), but smaller than the Greatjon (Anthony Simcoe is 6'6"), he's got the right look, and he's about the right age. I've no complaints here Lyanna.

Brynden Tully - I hoped we could get a little further than this before the subject was raised again. But ... I'm going to recommend against either Rickman or Irons for this role. I think these suggestions are based around our view of the Blackfish as a badass. And he is. However, he is a badass *offscreen*. He has precious few lines, and very little depth of character. I will say this again. He only has to appear an honorable, tough, fighter.

This is not a role that will be *at all* challenging for either Irons or Rickman. Moreover, it would be a *total* waste of their talents. Irons is a bit overexposed as a fantasy actor in bad fantasy films... having films like Dungeons & Dragons hanging around his neck is not an albatross I would want associated with ASOIAF. Rickman is a great character actor, and should play a role with some character... that's not the Blackfish either. Yes, there are a few lines at the end of AFfC that he'd be great at... but there's got to be a better role for him.

If there's a suggestion out there that's better than Sam Elliott for the Blackfish that isn't Rickman or Irons, I'm all ears. As a further note, check Elliott's filmography. There are westerns in there, but don't go thinking that he's a one-trick pony. There's more to him than cowboy.

Finally, on the Dayne's... I've heard some say that it's not right for the Dayne's to be hispanic... that it doesn't match their vision of the Dayne's. They don't have blond hair, they don't even all have violet eyes (though it appears that Arthur and Ashara do). I doubt that this would be enough to make them special in the audience's mind, however. Beyond all of this, I haven't seen anyone even suggest replacements. I'm not set on Smits at the expense of all others... I simply think he fits the role better than anyone else.

Convince me otherwise. Show me a talented actor who looks like a legendary swordsman. He's got to be mature, solidly built, with wise/kind eyes, and a serious demeanor. You've got to look at him and think "there's a guy that oozes honor and capability". Give me a name, a photo, something. Not just "I can't see the Dayne's as hispanic". That's not a good enough reason.

To continue the thought...

Barristan Selmy is a more important role (i.e. waaay more screentime) than Brynden Tully. I think Scott Glenn is a talented actor who very well fits the role of Barristan Selmy. To pull Glenn out and put him in a minor role (remember, minor in terms of *screentime*) like the Blackfish just doesn't make any sense.

As for Connery... the *only* place I can really see him fitting in, is as the Old Bull, Gerold Hightower.

-----------------

In the meantime...

We've still got to decide on a racial group for the Dothraki... there's always some flexibility with actors, but it'd look odd if the Dothraki appeared to be a melting-pot society... just doesn't seem likely.

And a new Casting Call!:

- Moon Boy

- Tom o'Sevenstreams (it'd be nice to cast an actual singer/actor here)

- Marillion (I'd like to have someone known to have a good voice here as well)

- More Freys!

- - Ser Stevron Frey (the face of the Freys for much of AGoT)

- - Olyvar Frey (King Robb Stark's personal squire)

- - Ser Cleos Frey

- Lady Westerling of the Cragg (Queen Jeyne's mother)

- Lady Genna Frey-Lannister (Tywin's sister)

- The Kindly Old Man

- Lord Gyles Rosby (the Mad Cougher)

- Falyse Stokeworth

- Lollys Stokeworth (this is a tricky one!)

- Tom o'Sevenstreams (it'd be nice to cast an actual singer/actor here)

- Marillion (I'd like to have someone known to have a good voice here as well)

Should we go with actual singers or just actors who can sing? Actors with singing talent would probably be better. The only ones I can think of right now are James Marsters and Anthony Stewart Head. Drake from Drake and Josh can sing too I think.

For singing roles, I'd re-nominate Stephen Lynch... he's got a phenomenal voice, a comedic edge, and was nominated for a Tony Award for his performance in the stage version of 'The Wedding Singer', so he can act too... Personally, I think he'd be great as Marillion.

Other options (off the top of my head), who are actors first, but also great singers, include:

- Tim Curry (is there anything he can't do???)

- David Hyde Pierce

- Nathan Lane

- Matthew Broderick

- Kevin Spacey

... Unfortunately, I'm not aware of many other *young* actors who can sing... or young singers who can act. So, the Blue Bard and Marillion are going to be tough... does anyone know of an 'IMDB' variant that does Broadway performances? That would be a *great* place to look.

I can see Tim Curry as an *excellent* Mance Rayder, and Kevin Spacey, although probably overpriced, might make an interesting Tom o'Sevenstreams....

Finally, on the Dayne's... I've heard some say that it's not right for the Dayne's to be hispanic... that it doesn't match their vision of the Dayne's. They don't have blond hair, they don't even all have violet eyes (though it appears that Arthur and Ashara do). I doubt that this would be enough to make them special in the audience's mind, however. Beyond all of this, I haven't seen anyone even suggest replacements. I'm not set on Smits at the expense of all others... I simply think he fits the role better than anyone else.

Convince me otherwise. Show me a talented actor who looks like a legendary swordsman. He's got to be mature, solidly built, with wise/kind eyes, and a serious demeanor. You've got to look at him and think "there's a guy that oozes honor and capability". Give me a name, a photo, something. Not just "I can't see the Dayne's as hispanic". That's not a good enough reason.

I know where you're coming from but given that the last thread was witness to a very long debate which basically consisted of, "This actor would look better on screen!" "Well this actor looks more like the description in the book!" I can't help but take umbrage with this, just a little bit! ;)

I also think it's a bit hyperbolic to suggest that Jimmy Smits 'oozes honor and capability' or to imply that he's the only actor capable of doing that. Also ... forgive me but I'm drawing a blank - does it ever say how old Arthur was when he died? Because Smits is 51 and I don't think Arthur was that old, but I could be wrong...

I honestly haven't given that much thought to the Daynes but I would be interested to see what alternative suggestions people came up with.

Anyway, moving on ... we don't have a Gilly, do we? How about Romola Garai?

Should we go with actual singers or just actors who can sing? Actors with singing talent would probably be better. The only ones I can think of right now are James Marsters and Anthony Stewart Head. Drake from Drake and Josh can sing too I think.

Actors who can sing, definitely. They're not that hard to find - pick one who's been to drama school and he's probably been trained at least a little bit. And isn't Ben Whishaw Marillion? He can sing. What's the physical description of Tom?

ETA:

I can see Tim Curry as an *excellent* Mance Rayder, and Kevin Spacey, although probably overpriced, might make an interesting Tom o'Sevenstreams....

Anthony Stewart Head I could see but Tim Curry is taking the Frank 'N' Furter thing a little too far, IMO!

Mance has got to have a bit of toughness to him, be a bit threatening along with having a good voice. When I think of Tim Curry being threatening I just think of Rooster from Annie!

... wow... we're just all over the place with those pesky Dothraki, eh?

:)

Hispanic... Asian... Italian???

At this point, the most important Dothraki is Drogo. He's also the hardest to cast, as we need a good actor who's significantly tall (~6'2" range). Thus, I think we choose the Dothraki around Drogo. We've picked an Indian actor as Drogo. I think we ought to choose other Indian actors (or those who can pass for Indian) for the other Dothraki.

The alternative is to pick another racial group, and try to find a good actor for Drogo from among them... that might be a bit tricky.

Thoughts?

Tysha-

From my readings, I don't recall ever seeing an age for Arthur Dayne. All we have is that he is a good friend of Prince Rhaegar, and many have taken that to suggest that they were close in age... I don't know if that's necessarily true though. I'd further comment that I don't usually go with the 'looks better onscreen' argument... but I make an exception for the Dayne's... For them, I think it's important. Also, I never said that Smits was the only one who could pull off the role with the little material that's given... I just noted that no one else had even made a suggestion.

As far as Tim Curry... don't typecast the man because a single role he played back in *1975*!!! The man's filmography is almost 200 items long! Granted, his frame is a bit big for the slender King Beyond the Wall... so I'd understand not playing him as Mance. But don't you dare write him off as Dr. Furter! :D

However... Spacey is closer in build for Mance... and having him question Jon Snow about his motivations for breaking his Night's Watch vows would be mighty tense... Thoughts?

Archived