Why was Tyrion so upset?

The Bastard Dayne

New developments: the director did an interview where he said he thinks it's more about Tyrion's own desire for power than anything else. Which could actually be interpreted in a pretty dark way if you consider his conversation with Cersei: she questions why he would support someone who will burn people alive to get what she wants, and he says it's because she listens to her advisers, AKA him. Tyrion loved being the Hand in earlier seasons, and I'm guessing that he still does.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaestersoftheFreefolk/comments/6ww52x/s7e7_the_dragon_and_the_wolf_director_jeremy/

5 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I read a theory online that suggested Tyrion cut a deal with Ceresi, after realising she was pregnant. In return for her agreeing to the truce, and sending her armies north to help in the battle against the dead, Tyrion will ensure that her child is named as Dany's heir. Given Tyrion's love for his neice and nephew, and his concern over the succession, it wouldn't be an entirely out of charecter thing to do. Jon hooking up with Dany threatens this plan, as even leaving aside R+L=J, and the possiblilty of Dany getting pregnant, it would still give Jon a claim on the throne, about as strong as Ceresi's own claim.

Yes, I like this. It was stressed earlier in that scene about how much he loves his niece and nephew. And earlier his questions about succession.

Cersei herself isn't going to survive the series. If she dies in childbirth, then the valonqar could refer to her own baby. Maybe the dead aren't even defeated by the end of the show, just pushed back again, and Cersei's kid on the Iron Throne is also the Prince that was Promised.

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

it's more about Tyrion's own desire for power than anything else

Yeah. Tyrion is unbelievably rich, he spends all his money fucking women, and yet for him that's not enough, he still craves for power as the series has showed. Also all the decisioncs he makes are disasterous and yet he still thinks is "Smart".

Why so many people love him so much is a mystery.

The most plausible explenation is that Tyrion fears a romantic relationship will make them vulnerable to their enemies. 

Another option might be that Tyrion thinks of betraying them. We know from his talk with Cersei that he feals guilt for the death of Tommen and Myrcella , and he regrets killing Tywin. Maybe Tyrion wants make up for his crime by establishing a Lannister dynasty with Cersei's kid. 

He thinks Dany can't have kids so he might think his new niece/nephew should get the IT instead.

This must be really hard for Tyrion as he cares for Jon and Dany at the same time he cares for his house. Tyrion will always be a Lannister and he probably won't allow the destruction of his house . 

Tyrions last scene when watching the sex between Jon and Daenerys shows that he (1) is worried about the implications of this romance for the whole cause, and (2) he is jealous because he adores and desires Daenerys.

Realistically, Tyrion known that he has no chance with Daenerys, though. Not a single clue points into the direction that Daenerys see more in Tyrion than her counsel.

Tyrion being in love with Daenerys would be lame. We've already had that story (and not just in GoT, but everywhere) and it just doesn't suit the character.

Tyrion betraying Daenerys makes no sense at all. Why would he make a secret deal with his murderous sister?

But what does make sense is him realising that his queen having a relationship that wasn't carefully planned could potentially cause a lot of problems. What if Jon starts to feel like an equal and makes trouble? It's also a bit of a waste. Marriage to Daenerys is a huge asset that they need to find the best use for. A good hand would advise against throwing that asset away on someone whose loyalty is already confirmed, and if anything, at this point a romantic relationship increases the chances of a break in the alliance. The potential for a falling out has just massively increased.

4 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Tyrion being in love with Daenerys would be lame. We've already had that story (and not just in GoT, but everywhere) and it just doesn't suit the character.

Tyrion betraying Daenerys makes no sense at all. Why would he make a secret deal with his murderous sister?

But what does make sense is him realising that his queen having a relationship that wasn't carefully planned could potentially cause a lot of problems. What if Jon starts to feel like an equal and makes trouble? It's also a bit of a waste. Marriage to Daenerys is a huge asset that they need to find the best use for. A good hand would advise against throwing that asset away on someone whose loyalty is already confirmed, and if anything, at this point a romantic relationship increases the chances of a break in the alliance. The potential for a falling out has just massively increased.

This is how I interpreted it as well.  I do think there may be a bit of romantic jealousy, but Tyrion knows that wasn't gonna happen.  He is more concerned about the political implications, especially when he sees a guy like Jon who he was just pissed at for almost ruining the summit by not being able to lie to Cersei.  I think Tyrion is concerned about Jon's growing influence over Dany (he tried to get Dany to stop from flying the dragons north of the Wall, but because she was worried about Jon she did anyway, and he also just witnessed Jorah try to protect Dany from being vulnerable in the North but she chose to sail with Jon anyway).

In the books, I'm sure he will fall in love with Dany. I mean if the guy fell for a prostitute who was obviously just there for the money, a Queen who treats him with respect will have him smitten. So it's possible it's the original Jon-Arya-Tyrion love triangle with Dany instead 

But the director said in an interview that it's more to show Tyrion being worried about political problems that could arise. Tbh I prefer that interpretation

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I read a theory online that suggested Tyrion cut a deal with Ceresi, after realising she was pregnant. In return for her agreeing to the truce, and sending her armies north to help in the battle against the dead, Tyrion will ensure that her child is named as Dany's heir. Given Tyrion's love for his neice and nephew, and his concern over the succession, it wouldn't be an entirely out of charecter thing to do. Jon hooking up with Dany threatens this plan, as even leaving aside R+L=J, and the possiblilty of Dany getting pregnant, it would still give Jon a claim on the throne, about as strong as Ceresi's own claim.

I do believe that the deal they made, whatever it was, was left offscreen to come back around next season.  The reason I don't like the theory though is because it makes no sense as to how Tyrion could convince Cersei that he could pull off getting her child named as heir.  What could he have possibly said to make her believe that?  I don't see Dany agreeing to that under any circumstances, so I can't see Tyrion convincing her that he could pull it off. 

I think if they did make a deal, it would have to have involved him promising Cersei that he surrenders himself to her once the Great War is over. Offering himself to her to do with as she pleases would be the only thing Cersei would believe, other than him offering to kill Dany once the war is over.  He would've ended the conversation with "A Lannister always pays their debts."...

Daenerys would burn Tyrion (I would), if Tyrion had promised Cersei her child will be Daenerys' heir. Daenerys would never accept such deal. And Cersei would never believe Daenerys or Tyrion.

Interestingly, Cersei would never hold her word on a promise to Daenerys. So Jon refusal to swear cost them nothing. But maybe, it has bought Cersei some belief in Jon's words. Maybe, maybe, it will have some use later. Not that I count much on it with D&D plots consistency.

Archived