Night King appreciation thread

Camara

On 9/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, Johannes Nilsson said:

Jon and Emilia has to win, because the ending will be 'bittersweet' and a winning NK is not bittersweet, it would be joy.

There's plenty of ways to make it bittersweet. For example:

• The Army of the Dead stands victorious, but at a cost—the Night King's most beloved White Walker is mortally wounded, and dies in his arms. (It may be the most cliched bittersweet ending of all, but it's a cliche for a reason.)
  • The camera pans over the field of battle, and then pulls out to show the other battles of the war—millions of corpses lie burnt beyond any hope of wighting them. Violence may have been necessary, but it's still sad that he had to resort to it. In his best Fifth Doctor impression, the Night King laments, "There should have been another way."
  • "And when the Night King saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer." (Or you could use the original Plutarch version of the quote instead of the Die Hard paraphrase, but this is TV, you go with the Die Hard.)
  • The dead win, but all the most annoying humans escaped to the Summer Isles. How sweet can a victory be knowing that Tyene Sand is still alive and well?
  • The Night King wins, but that sweet-ass dragon of his is all dented up. Bummer.

On 06/09/2017 at 4:17 PM, #teamNightking said:

Well... It already is a used model with some minor wing damage and interior scuff marks. B)

The Night King is very good at taking used models of things, usually from scrap heaps, and making them work again. Look at all the used wildlings and crows he has in his army! So not only is he handsome and has great dialogue, he's pro-recycling as well, of all things!

I hope D & D don't kill him off next season, he's the only consistently likeable character on the show.

• 4 months later...

I must confess that I really like The Night King. The fact that he doesn't talk and is relentless in pursuing his goals, is what makes him so magnetic.

When Dany turned up to rescue Jon and his forces were being creamed by the Dragon, there was no panic, no failing of confidence, just took everything in his stride, pulled out a spear and took down one of the dragons.

In Hardhome (my favourite GoT episode) he wasn't in a rush, just calmly walked to the edge, stared at Jon and raised up all the dead. It was epic and so impressive because it wasn't overplayed with a silly gimmick or a cheesy line. Silence followed by a show of real, unhurried power.

The fear (for me) of the Night King is that he is coming. No big announcements, just the knowledge that he is coming and sooner or later he's going to arrive, just like his army slowly sauntered out of the forest by the wall. There's no rush, no political scheming required, just an ever present overwhelming solid force that's coming.

A fascinating bad guy that I hope isn't diminished or compromised to provide a cool WTF moment.

• 4 months later...

Archived