Camara

Night King appreciation thread

85 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, The Lord of Cinder said:

The Night King's facial expressions rival Emilia Clarke's. That guy can convey incredibly complex emotions just by raising an eyebrow. Wait ... does he even have eyebrows?

He's obviously a much more likeable and humble character than Dany. Imagine if every time he arrived, a wight would have to list his 1001 titles.

You stand in the presence of Brandon the Snowborn of the House Stark, the First of his Name, the King of Winter, the King Beyond the Wall and the Converter of the Realm, the Raiser of Hosts, the Father of Ice-bears, the Undead, the Bringer of Chains and the rightful Lord of Winterfell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Lord of Cinder said:

He's obviously a much more likeable and humble character than Dany. Imagine if every time he arrived, a wight would have to list his 1001 titles.

He does, it's just in Skroth, which the show has chosen to render as dead silence, so you can't tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NK is the only true, and best, king. His people is supporting him whole heartedly and would gladly die for their king.

Heach has 100% approval rate among his citizens and is a beloved leader.

 

No other leader in the seven kingdoms can boast of such approval rates among their citizens, nor about as supportive people ready to die for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

He's the doomsday machine. I can't remember the name of the starship in Star Trek the blew up to stop it. His core is a magical piece of obsidian. How to knock it out? He's fully armoured can defend him self, probably impervious to dragon fire. Maybe they need a COF to whisper some spell. A spell Bran can go spy on in the past?

Still like the idea of him being at least a bit autonomous, with a plan. On the idea of Bran, I wonder if he could control the NK in the end, even temporarily, for enough time for them to kill the NK - effectively killing them both. Or killing Bran in the NK's body and having the NK trapped in a cripple. And then whoever kills "Bran" is labelled a traitor and killed. 

Edited by LastManStanding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Johannes Nilsson said:

Heach has 100% approval rate among his citizens and is a beloved leader.

No, no, he's Dear Leader; Beloved Leader is his successor (and after him comes Peerless Leader and Friend of Dennis Rodman).

Edited by falcotron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lydia19 said:

Um... What's COTF? Sorry if I should know.... Assuming you're joking....

Children of the forest.

If you dont know the story, when they were at war with the first men, they were losing, so they created this ultimate weapon (the night king) to defeat the humans. This was also stated in season 6 when Bran made it to the 3 eyed raven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Don't think there will be time for his backstory.  In the books I can't wait to find out.  

I think we already know it.  The COTF were losing in their battle against man and created a WMD.  The problem is the WMD turned on them also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think we already know it.  The COTF were losing in their battle against man and created a WMD.  The problem is the WMD turned on them also.

But who was he.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half of me thinks it's important that the NK has some dialogue (how else are we going to find out his endgame? Another Bran vision?) and the other half thinks it would break the magic and intrigue and power of this formidable figure. Unless, of course, Bran does in fact turn out to be the NK and he speaks through him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want NK to speak.

Maybe Bran can warg into the past to somehow find out what he wants (cease to exist?).

I would somehow like if the ending is including the death of the Stark family aswell as the death of NK and WWs. There is most probably a bond between Stark family and WW-group. A Stark ended last long night, A stark built the wall, a Stark was the 13th Lord Commander. There is to much (Brandon) Stark when it comes to WW history to be a coincidence. House Stark has some relation with WW, but how?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Half of me thinks it's important that the NK has some dialogue (how else are we going to find out his endgame? Another Bran vision?) and the other half thinks it would break the magic and intrigue and power of this formidable figure. Unless, of course, Bran does in fact turn out to be the NK and he speaks through him. 

According to D&D, the NK isn't going to talk. They've said it would ruin the mystery and menace of his character.

Of course they don't always tell the truth, and sometimes change their minds, but we know that, after having a linguistic sketch of the Skroth language drawn up, they canceled it and just had the audio designer give them some random broken-glass sounds, and then canceled that too, so… probably he's not talking.

And yes, I think we'll learn more from Bran visions.

But really, I think his motivation is going to be something pretty simple, that can be expressed without a long conversation, and it really will be impossible to negotiate with him because what he wants will be something they can't possibly give him, like "all humans off Westeros" or "permanent winter down to the equator".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

But who was he.  

The actor who plays the NK is the same one that appears in Bran's vision of the COTF creating the Others. 

So, we must assume the NK is simply the first White Walker, and the most powerful of all. He probably used the same ritual the COTF used with him to create the rest of the WW. That, or he turned them like he turned Craster's son. Actually pointless to discuss it. Either way, he created some more and uses them as his lieutenants.

I doubt we'll know much more about him. His powers though are what interest me. It seems the COTF actually wanted to use Wights against humans, turning men against men. 

Who the NK was before being the NK is actually an interesting question, but one I don't think we'll ever know (Show-wise). I like to think he was some kind of proto-Andal warlord captured. He was blond and had blue eyes, IIRC. 

Edited by Ingelheim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29-8-2017 at 10:22 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I actually think he looks less cartoonish and more solemn and confident in S7.   The DGAF attitude is scary.  But I definitely agree show NK is a boss.  He's probably the third most likable character on the show after Jaime and Davos, and Jaime is a sister fucking kid crippling no hand having smartass, and Davos abandoned his wife years ago and picked a new king rather than going home, so maybe the NK isn't too far away from being the most likeable one.

I really thought that it would be a big WTF moment - that we would hear him talk to Bran or Jon - but it hasn't happened.  I really don't like the idea that the NK is just robotically trying to execute a single order, carrying out his life's purpose as efficiently as possible.  We've seen that he uses reason and strategy fairly well thus far.  Hopefully his purpose is better than "I was made to do this, I was just waiting for the coldest winter in a few millennia to carry this out."  Maybe he will speak to Bran telepathically?

While I love having show Night King as a big bad as a good addition over the seemingly unorganized and still very mysterious Others of the books, if creating this character was all just so the war for dawn could end in one-on-one or two-on-one combat between the Night King and Jon or Jon/Dany, I'll be a little miffed.  Even in Star Wars they had to blow up the death star in addition to winning the light saber duel.

It would actually be very sad if the Night King is actually indeed following that single order? 

Maybe he hasn't any choice. All these years ago the COTF gave him order and now he still has to carry it out. Maybe the aim is to free him from this slavery? 

Poor Night King :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

It would actually be very sad if the Night King is actually indeed following that single order? 

Maybe he hasn't any choice. All these years ago the COTF gave him order and now he still has to carry it out. Maybe the aim is to free him from this slavery? 

Poor Night King :(

Maybe he needs to be buried in the WF crypts with a sword to find peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

Maybe he needs to be buried in the WF crypts with a sword to find peace.

Maybe that would be indeed the solution!

If he was originally a Stark, he would be reunited with his family. Ooh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Maybe that would be indeed the solution!

If he was originally a Stark, he would be reunited with his family. Ooh

I would be very surprised if he wasn't a Stark. If you need to sacrifice anybody for your magical ritual in the North, a Stark is the obvious choice. Kings' blood etc.

I hope NK finally regains the family he lost in the end. He deserves so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TysonFury said:

I LOVE the night King and all the white walkers! I know they can't win cause they can't end a show with the bad guys winning so it kinda sucks but I'll still be rooting for them to do as much damage as possible. 

 

Theres still many questions to be answered about them though, like why are they converting babies? 

The NK is very much into social welfare and recognises that as King it is his duty to look after his subjects. That is why he runs an orphanage for the unwanted and abandoned children. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/8/2017 at 11:00 AM, Maid So Fair said:

You stand in the presence of Brandon the Snowborn of the House Stark, the First of his Name, the King of Winter, the King Beyond the Wall and the Converter of the Realm, the Raiser of Hosts, the Father of Ice-bears, the Undead, the Bringer of Chains and the rightful Lord of Winterfell 

 

15 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Maybe that would be indeed the solution!

If he was originally a Stark, he would be reunited with his family. Ooh

There is something I'd like to understand of him....the mark in Bran's shoulder, as well as his obsession with the 3eyed, and the fact that he can see a greenseer observing him. These might be clues. Is he a greenseer as well? 

(First of all, a reminder that NK is not Bran, they can't coexist in the same time and space and I'm sure that KN is not agreenseer projection, since he seems a physical thing).

But if he has greenseer abilities, that's because the cotf let him have them? Or is is because he was a greenseer in the first place? There are so many questions to be answered, considering his origins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

 

There is something I'd like to understand of him....the mark in Bran's shoulder, as well as his obsession with the 3eyed, and the fact that he can see a greenseer observing him. These might be clues. Is he a greenseer as well? 

(First of all, a reminder that NK is not Bran, they can't coexist in the same time and space and I'm sure that KN is not agreenseer projection, since he seems a physical thing).

But if he has greenseer abilities, that's because the cotf let him have them? Or is is because he was a greenseer in the first place? There are so many questions to be answered, considering his origins.

I'm not sure the Children of the Forest knew what they were creating or at least didn't fully understand what the repercussions would be.  I also think that whomever this person was they converted to the Night King, that person had some sort of magical powers, so it would make sense.  What if the Night King was the original 3 eyed Raven.  

Edited by SerJeremiahLouistark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read this article on yahoo that said a reddit user brought up a pretty solid question.  

We know the Night King can raise the dead without touching them.  The war of the 5 Kings, the aftermath of that war as well has caused how many casualties?  How many of those corpses have been burned?  They burn in the North but now TNK has the fastest mode of transportation in the world.  A dragon.  What's stopping him from just doing a flyover raising the dead in all the lands south of The North?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now