On why the High Septon himself would issue the "annulment".

sangbum60090

It has been revealed that Rhaegar's marriage with Elia Martell had been annulled and he wed Lyanna in Dorne. However, though while there are many who criticize or defend Rhaegar, no one seems to be talking on why the High Septon, the head of the faith himself, would issue the annulment, despite all the political risk and danger.

Annulment in Medieval Europe and Westeros is a serious matter and it usually couldn't be undone quite easily, especially for the royal family. Even Maegor the Cruel couldn't annul one when his wife couldn't birth so he tried to marry another at the same time instead when he was a prince. Which means that there were certain circumstances that forced him or convinced him to issue the annulment. 

Here are some possibilities I can think of:

1. The High Septon also believed in prophecy

I don't think this is likely. Why would he annul the marriage based on vague prophecy from other religion and risk all the political consequences?

2. Elia cheated on Rhaegar first

The least plausible one I can think of.

However, here's the most plausible one I could think of:

3. The annulment was forced on them by Aerys II

What if Aerys believed in the prophecy as well? So what I'm saying is that the Mad King somehow suddenly came to realization that Lyanna Stark, the Northern girl his son gave flower to, was the one prophesied to give birth to the Prince that was Promised.

So basically he forced the High Septon to annul the marriage with Elia Martell and forced them to marry and hide in Dorne. He brutally murdered the Starks because to him, they were obstruction to the birth of hero. However, Rhaegar and Lyanna did fall in love with each other eventually due to...uh, Stockholm syndrome.

Your thoughts?

Archived