The Dragon Pit

This may be totally off-base... but the Dragon Pit looked very small.  Balerion the largest dragon that ever lived was in there, and OR even if just a few of the early dragons, that place did not seem large enough inside.  And the row seating that went upward, like the Colosseum, I didn't understand were people supposedly in there watching the dragons or something?

And all that fire breathing going on, people would get torched sitting in there.

44 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

This may be totally off-base... but the Dragon Pit looked very small.  Balerion the largest dragon that ever lived was in there, and OR even if just a few of the early dragons, that place did not seem large enough inside.  And the row seating that went upward, like the Colosseum, I didn't understand were people supposedly in there watching the dragons or something?

And all that fire breathing going on, people would get torched sitting in there.

Well it's mostly because it was a Roman Ampitheatre that they were able to film in... It wasn't a set they built or a CGI location so they had to deal with the stadium look even though it doesn't make much sense

43 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

Haven't you ever been to a Survival Research Labs event? The fact that one of the giant frankenrobots' flamethrowers might accidentally spray the crowd and set you on fire is part of the thrill. They never did actually kill their audience, but that "most dangerous show on Earth" tagline wasn't entirely facetious. (Which is why they had so many legal and insurance problems.)

In King's Landing, your ancestors raised an immense domed castle for their dragons. The Dragonpit, it is called. It still stands atop the Hill of Rhaenys, though all in ruins now. That is where the royal dragons dwelt in days of yore, and a cavernous dwelling it was, with iron doors so wide that thirty knights could ride through them abreast. Yet even so, it was noted that none of the pit dragons ever reached the size of their ancestors. The maesters say it was because of the walls around them, and the great dome above their heads.

So the Dragonpit is in KL, huge, and had a roof for keeping dragons in. What we saw was small, obviously never had a roof, and wasn't in King's Landing. They even put a dragon in it just so we could see how much it's clearly too small for one dragon, let alone many.

2 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

And the row seating that went upward, like the Colosseum, I didn't understand were people supposedly in there watching the dragons or something?

I don't think so. The dragons were in the Dragonpit because they couldn't be controlled, and I don't remember reading or hearing anything like that anywhere.

11 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

So the Dragonpit is in KL, huge, and had a roof for keeping dragons in. What we saw was small, obviously never had a roof, and wasn't in King's Landing. They even put a dragon in it just so we could see how much it's clearly too small for one dragon, let alone many.

I watched a youtube video on this and it IS in King's Landing.  It's in an abandoned area of the city.  There was devastation there from the dragon pit incident and also to shit on the Targaryens after Robert came.  They showed a detailed map of KL and if you watch Cersei when she blows up the Sept.... where she is looking, the Dragon Pit is right off screen to the right of her gaze which cannot be seen in the clip.  There were three main "landmarks" in KL.... the Sept, the Red Keep and the Dragon Pit.

11 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

I watched a youtube video on this and it IS in King's Landing.  It's in an abandoned area of the city.  There was devastation there from the dragon pit incident and also to shit on the Targaryens after Robert came.  They showed a detailed map of KL and if you watch Cersei when she blows up the Sept.... where she is looking, the Dragon Pit is right off screen to the right of her gaze which cannot be seen in the clip.  There were three main "landmarks" in KL.... the Sept, the Red Keep and the Dragon Pit.

Well if they say so. But since they just established that 1m people are packed into that city, it seems a bit odd to have an "abandoned area". Of course there could have been masses of people just out of sight, but it just didn't feel like it was part of a city.

Besides, that's kind of the least of the complaints. If they had made the Dragonpit anything like what it's supposed to be, the location wouldn't matter much.

12 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

So... they did let Dany and the others (well not Dany since she simply flew in) into the city? Because it doesn't seem like it. Don't think they established that.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/f/ff/S05E06_-_King's_Landing.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170313212331

No Dragon Pit in this shot.

8 minutes ago, Edward Teach said:

So... they did let Dany and the others (well not Dany since she simply flew in) into the city? Because it doesn't seem like it. Don't think they established that.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/f/ff/S05E06_-_King's_Landing.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170313212331

Good point about flying into KL on a dragon. That's a good sign that it's not supposed to be that near the city.

That shot isn't much like the KL of the books. There should be three hills, one topped by the Dragonpit, another by the Red Keep, and the third by the Great Sept of Baelor. The hills are within the city walls, not around the outside, and they dominate the city. And where did the Blackwater Rush go? There was a battle there - you'd think someone would notice if it disappeared.

The more I think about it, the more it's clear the geography of the show version is nothing like in the books. So maybe it's not fair to complain about the Dragonpit being in the "wrong" place.

It was indeed off, but there were (much much much) bigger problems with the episode so I put these thoughts out of my head. 

Yeah it's an interesting notion to keep dragons "locked" in an open space, as it is for there to be seats for people to look on dragons that would roast them in a second. Where it is in KL was fine with me, it was tactfully not revealed. Cersei walked there so I doubt it's particularly far from the Red Keep. 

But I think it's much better to have a real location even if it isn't 100 or even 80% as it should be, because right now the majority of the scenes are fake. Everything happens in front of a green screen which is pretty damn disappointing and makes some of the actors struggle a lot. Of course it isn't quite an excuse for the atrocious acting Emilia Clarke delivered this season, but I can totally understand that it's much more difficult to act when the context is a goddamn green screen instead of a set and other actors. 

And even though the show is now visually a hundred times what is was in season 1, I kind wish we could go back to season one when only 10% of the episode  was CGI and not 90%. 

2 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Well if they say so. But since they just established that 1m people are packed into that city, it seems a bit odd to have an "abandoned area". Of course there could have been masses of people just out of sight, but it just didn't feel like it was part of a city.

Besides, that's kind of the least of the complaints. If they had made the Dragonpit anything like what it's supposed to be, the location wouldn't matter much.

I thought the same thing.

The show is being ridiculously inconsistent.  Every time we saw "the people" in King's Landing in this show, they were wretched and starving and dirty.  THE LAST time we saw them was Eurine Greyjoy riding through on his horse and "the people"' were all wonderfully dressed in peasant garb and smiling and had big bins of groceries.  So, there's that... then yes if the "people" are starving and having a hard time, I would think it would be VERY hard to keep them out of a warm safe enclosed place SOME OF WHICH HAS ROOFING FROM RAIN like an abandoned dragon pit somewhere in town.

i n c o s i s t e n t

2 hours ago, Edward Teach said:

look at this image then look at the Sept then move a little upward to the left with those few tall cypress trees and that is where it is according to the video I saw and also in the show they were walking through cypress trees that looking just like that.  There's another set of those trees further to the left.

I'm almost positive this is the video I saw explaining this

it is also an interesting "history" lesson with ASOIAF and WOIAF

3 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Good point about flying into KL on a dragon. That's a good sign that it's not supposed to be that near the city.

That shot isn't much like the KL of the books. There should be three hills, one topped by the Dragonpit, another by the Red Keep, and the third by the Great Sept of Baelor. The hills are within the city walls, not around the outside, and they dominate the city. And where did the Blackwater Rush go? There was a battle there - you'd think someone would notice if it disappeared.

The more I think about it, the more it's clear the geography of the show version is nothing like in the books. So maybe it's not fair to complain about the Dragonpit being in the "wrong" place.

If it's outside the city, then Dany had Cersei within her hand's grasp when Cersei walked all the way back into the city. She doesn't want to besiege the city and kill innocent, nor she doesn't take the opportunity to kill Cersei when she refuses the truce and is meters away from her.

I interpreted all the broken portions the camera panned as remains after the roof collapsed from disarray. Dany/Jon tried to explain the size of dragons as being deformed into dog/lion-sized from abuse and incarceration. The dragons then aren't the size they are now that they've been given freedom to roam under Dany's rule.

On 8/31/2017 at 5:29 AM, Edward Teach said:

If it's outside the city, then Dany had Cersei within her hand's grasp when Cersei walked all the way back into the city. She doesn't want to besiege the city and kill innocent, nor she doesn't take the opportunity to kill Cersei when she refuses the truce and is meters away from her.

That OR all she has to do all this time is get spies into the castle to inform on Cersei's habit, where she goes and stays and who is with her, etc.... then stealthily approach on Drogon from the bay and burn wherever Cersei is.  Like a strategic targeted attack.  How could anyone blame her for this or call her a savage?

No, but for the sake of storytelling, Cersei is there until the end to fulfill her contract and to be the ultimate deadheart human villain.

Archived