Confused about Viserion and the White Walkers

Travelr

6 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Well, it's in a vacuum of course. Don't you know anything about physics?

I fail to see where you're going to find a vacuum big enough to meet aliens. Even those giant industrial-strength mega-Hoovers have tanks you could barely crawl into yourself, much less bring an alien with you, no matter how friendly you are. Stop being silly. :P

6 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Generally, it goes against book canon to have him breathing fire instead of an icy exhalation, so I've also been puzzled by this choice.  That said, there is the precedent in the books, e.g. in the Prologue, of the White Walkers and their icy swords of pale blue flame 'alive with light' (for which the wighted white dragon with blue eyes is a symbolic analogue) being associated with lightning.  

Way-against canon for any ice dragon to breathe blue flame. Not only is it against canon, it's against GRRM's other ice dragons and their constellations.

Following contact with them, Ser Waymar Royce's sword is described as a lightning-struck tree.  @Voice also has this really interesting theory about how the Wall and not Melisandre, as is is commonly assumed, was responsible for 'zapping' Varamyr's skinchanged eagle while flying over the Wall, transgressing on the magical boundary, resulting in the eagle bursting into flames.  Thus, we have the paradoxical scenario of an ice-being (the Wall) generating an electrical charge which translates as 'fire'.

:cheers:

But of course, Waymar's lightning-struck blade was also in fact shattered by the cold.

The combustion of Orell's eagle, in my mind, is fiery because Varamyr-in-the-Eagle crossed a prism that focuses solar radiation like a magnifying glass.

The Wall stands before skinchangers and proclaims, "You cannot pass."

Alternatively, I'd like to see Bran 'mind-wrestle' the Night's King for control over the dragon (via skinchanging), and then have Bran turn the dragon on the wights.  D&D's choice of blue fire instead of ice for Viserion means that he can potentially be turned against his creators, and used for good.

You are talking about what GRRM called the "Game of Mind" in The Glass Flower. If you haven't checked it out yet, you definitely should! It's a good one. :)

Archived