Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

Too many anti-Chelsea, anti-Abramovic and anti-Terry comments to reply to. Chelsea are hated here and it's not worth my while trying to defend the club against people with such deep rooted problems with it. You are all entitled to your opinions just as much as I am entitled to defend the club.

In more positive news, Northern Ireland seal another important win away to San Marino, leaving us second in Group C and 7 points clear of Czech Republic in third. If we can avoid defeat against them in our next game, the play off spot is ours. 

It's been quite an amazing few years for Northern Irish football. None of us would have believed we would have qualified for Euro 2016 and then be in with a great chance of qualifying for World Cup 2018. 

PS: As much as I like seeing England do well, watching them play is as fun as watching paint dry.

Henderson had the armband tonight. I thought it would be either him, Cahill or Kane. There has been no announcement of official captaincy. Do you all think the armband will continued to be rotated until they officially choose one for the World Cup once the qualifiers are over?

Football fans having pops at each other's clubs is pretty inevitable. But do stick around, I think you'll find that this place is saner, more considered and less bellicose than most. It's the only reason I come to these forums anymore, having lost interest in the books long ago and never having been impressed by the tv show.

Dead horse flogging to follow: Fuck international breaks.

One last piece of business for United: Andreas Pereira has joined Valencia on loan. There is no option for them to buy and United have triggered the additional year extension on his contract. Some reports claim that a recall clause has been included in the loan agreement as well.

12 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Football fans having pops at each other's clubs is pretty inevitable. But do stick around, I think you'll find that this place is saner, more considered and less bellicose than most. It's the only reason I come to these forums anymore, having lost interest in the books long ago and never having been impressed by the tv show.

Dead horse flogging to follow: Fuck international breaks.

Oh, yes, I am well used to it. I think I was just slightly caught off guard, as it began by me having a wee pop at Tottenham, a team I hate due to London Derby purposes and all that, as opposed to issues with Dan Levy and Tottenham fans' past problems. There are no Spurs fans here, to my knowledge, but I ended up being sprung upon by a motley crew consisting of Newcastle, Man United and Liverpool fans! 

It's all 'banter' and a bit of a debate, which is all fun and games, at the end of the day.

I've been on the forum a month and I'm done with the book forum and the show forum already. Much more fun here!

32 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

One last piece of business for United: Andreas Pereira has joined Valencia on loan. There is no option for them to buy and United have triggered the additional year extension on his contract. Some reports claim that a recall clause has been included in the loan agreement as well.

Don't think he's gonna make it at the club tbqh. He looks like a tidy player but he's been on the fringes of the first team for four seasons now and he's never broken through. He'll move to Spain next season I reckon. Or remain like Joel Campbell, perpetually on loan.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Don't think he's gonna make it at the club tbqh. He looks like a tidy player but he's been on the fringes of the first team for four seasons now and he's never broken through. He'll move to Spain next season I reckon. Or remain like Joel Campbell, perpetually on loan.

I think we will make a decision next season. His contract was due to expire next year but we triggered the extension so if there is no future for him at United, we will sell next year. Probably why we agreed to loan him in the first place - his value will be greater playing regularly for Valencia rather than spending 80% of the season on United's bench/reserves.

Quite surprised no one has taken a free punt on Bacary Sagna yet. Yes, he's 34, but he looks fit for his age. Personally, if I were West Ham, I would have fancied him on a free more so than Pablo Zabaleta.

Sagna could still do a decent job at the right club. I'd imagine his wage demands are the main stumbling block, though.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

According to the West Ham owners, Bilic turned down the chance to sign both Renato Sanches and Krychowiak in this window. Quite honestly they should have fired him right there. Can't imagine it'll be too long before we see Benitez at West Ham.

Add into the mix that their deal for W.Carvalho fell through, and what could have been a great window for West Ham ended up as just another average one. Hernandez could be a great signing, but I wonder where the quality service for him is going to come from. Arnautovic is a good player when he turns it on, but for Stoke, he didn't turn it on half as much as he should have. Zabaleta has looked half the player in his first few games at West Ham and Hart has conceded 10 already. Not all his fault, of course, but it's going to be a long season for him.

I think you have to take what West Ham owners say with a pinch of salt, though. They run their mouths quite a bit regarding transfers, much to the frustration of their own fans.

Would West Ham be an improvement for Rafa? Mike Ashley hasn't backed him, but Rafa is adored by most Newcastle fans. Keeping them in the PL would be a bigger achievement than guiding West Ham to mid table.

More than that, it feels a shame that a great manager like Rafa is being linked to a troubled West Ham team. I know he had been linked to them before, but it would be a shame to see him become a journey man manager in the PL, going from club to club. His stock has fallen almost unfairly since Real Madrid.

39 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

According to the West Ham owners, Bilic turned down the chance to sign both Renato Sanches and Krychowiak in this window. Quite honestly they should have fired him right there. Can't imagine it'll be too long before we see Benitez at West Ham.

There's the right club for every player, and the right player for every club.

I haven't seen enough West Ham to say for sure, those are the players they need. I said before the start of the season, that Sanches might have been someone to add some muscle to Arsenal's midfield. But let's wait and see how he works out at Swansea. Afterall he has hardly played any games for over a year at Bayern.

Anyway, I am kinda curious whether there will be a fire sale at Arsenal come January.

Archived