Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

Just now, Notone said:

I haven't seen enough West Ham to say for sure, those are the players they need. I said before the start of the season, that Sanches might have been someone to add some muscle to Arsenal's midfield. But let's wait and see how he works out at Swansea. Afterall he has hardly played any games for over a year at Bayern.

i think that is why Bayern sent him to Swansea. He'd be at a club where, after a season on the sidelines, he'd be expected to play regularly. With the link between Paul Clement and Carlo Ancelotti, Bayern would know that Renato would be with a manager who they could fully cooperate with.

Barca director, Albert Soler Claiming Liverpool set Coutinho's price at £183m. To be honest, with Barca's recent ineptitude in transfer dealings, I am shocked they didn't take Liverpool up on it.

According to reports, City are planning another bid for Sanchez in January. Unless Arsenal are genuine title contenders by then (unlikely), I think they will sell rather than risk losing him on a free. Ozil might end up going as well. That should ease the wage bill quite a bit and free up funds for Arsenal to spend but it is imperative that they find a way to get rid of the real dead weights. Wenger won't get the sack though unless Arsenal implode like Chelsea did two years ago and even then it's a stretch.

ETA. @JordanJH1993 - I don't believe a word of that from Soler. Liverpool's official stance has always remained that Coutinho is not for sale. To me this is clearly just Soler trying to save face for their ineptitude in the transfer market.

Yeah Chris Bascombe who is pretty reliable said Solers claims were complete bs 

11 minutes ago, Notone said:

Anyway, I am kinda curious whether there will be a fire sale at Arsenal come January.

Özil and Sanchez will be able to sign pre contracts with other clubs in January right? Wouldn't it be hard to sell them when any interested club could just wait 6 months and get them for free? 

There is some deadwood they need to move on though. 

rafa is as good as gone i am imagining.  the supporters adore him, but that won't be enough in the end.

it is so disheartening to have the club in the hands of an owner with no ambition at all. we as fans aren't looking for champions league football. we just want a team that can finish in the top half of the table and attract quality footballers.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. @JordanJH1993 - I don't believe a word of that from Soler. Liverpool's official stance has always remained that Coutinho is not for sale. To me this is clearly just Soler trying to save face for their ineptitude in the transfer market.

Yeah, when a director or owner starts spouting stuff like that during a transfer window, it usually is a pile of trash. That's why I don't believe the West Ham owners regarding Renato Sanches and Krychowiak.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Özil and Sanchez will be able to sign pre contracts with other clubs in January right? Wouldn't it be hard to sell them when any interested club could just wait 6 months and get them for free? 

They can only sign pre-agreements with foreign clubs, I believe. So, in City's case, they'd rather spend money to sign him in January than wait until the summer to get him free, and running the risk of letting a foreign club swoop in to strike a deal with him.

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Yeah, when a director or owner starts spouting stuff like that during a transfer window, it usually is a pile of trash. That's why I don't believe the West Ham owners regarding Renato Sanches and Krychowiak.

And Soler even contradicted himself at that press conference which adds even more weight to the BS argument. One minute he says that Paulinho cost 40 million plus add-ons and the next he says that it was 40 mil with no add-ons.

I don't really believe Sullivan either. Pretty poor undermining the manager like that. Seems to me that they are throwing Bilic under the bus.

16 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Chris Bascombe who is pretty reliable said Solers claims were complete bs 

There is some deadwood they need to move on though. 

Depends. It's worth noting that Özil and Sanchez haven't played (and will not play) CL this season, so they might be interesting for a club to add some quality for the knock out stages (Barca comes to mind, or Juve, or City, or maybe even Paris (FFP my arse)). Barca did not really get the signings they wanted in this window, so I wouldn't consider it totally absurd if they tried to add some star power in january - maybe there will be some sort of chain reaction, that they buy somebody else, and that club needs a replacement. Atletico will also be allowed to sign players again in January, I think (I might be wrong on that count). Or there might be an injury crises at another club, likesay United or Liverpool. AFAIK, Mourinho is a fan of Özil since their time at Real, and United wanted a #10 I think. So if he feels this is the missing piece to win the EPL, why not?

44 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

They can only sign pre-agreements with foreign clubs, I believe..

Hmm I did not know that. Could definitely see City going for him again in January then. 

22 minutes ago, Notone said:

Depends. It's worth noting that Özil and Sanchez haven't played (and will not play) CL this season, so they might be interesting for a club to add some quality for the knock out stages (Barca comes to mind, or Juve, or City, or maybe even Paris (FFP my arse)). 

I also didn't know that europa league doesn't cup tie you in champions league :lol: for some reason I always assumed playing in either of the European comps cup ties you. So yeah could see some teams going for Özil/Sanchez for sure. 

The other thing to note with Benitez is that he's very reluctant to leave (or stray too far from) the northwest. His kids have grown up there and he doesn't want to uproot them, and he also doesn't want to be away from his family, from what I've been given to understand. So whereas West Ham could be a possibility, I think it unlikely. His geographical immobility has contributed to the fall of his managerial stock, and might also give an impression that it is lower than what is actually the case. I don't for a second think the Newcastle job was the most prestigious he was offered, just the best one within his range.

Good family man, Rafa. YNWA

30 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I also didn't know that europa league doesn't cup tie you in champions league :lol: for some reason I always assumed playing in either of the European comps cup ties you. So yeah could see some teams going for Özil/Sanchez for sure. 

Nah, they are Cup Tied for the EL, not the CL. It's a different competition. There are a few exceptions. e.g. if Arsenal signed Alli from Tottenham, and Tottenham finished third in their group and are forced to play in the EL, then Alli would not be eligible for Arsenal to play in the EL (coz Tottenham has now crossed into the EL, too). If Arsenal signed Alli, and Tottenham managed to proceed to K.O. stages in the CL (or crashed out as 4th again), then Alli could play in the EL for Arsenal. Another exception would be if a club signed both Sanchez and Özil, then I think their new club could  add only one of them to their CL squad. That happened ages to Real ages ago, when they signed Huntelaar and Diarra (?) in January, and they had to choose who will be in their CL squad, and as a result Huntelaar turned out to be a somewhat useless signing for them (I think there even was some problem with the Spanish league, so that Huntelaar couldn't play in that competition either).

None of that really applies to Özil or Sanchez (well except if one club picked up both). So missing out on the CL might be a blessing in disguise afterall for the gunners :D

50 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

The other thing to note with Benitez is that he's very reluctant to leave (or stray too far from) the northwest. His kids have grown up there and he doesn't want to uproot them, and he also doesn't want to be away from his family, from what I've been given to understand. So whereas West Ham could be a possibility, I think it unlikely. His geographical immobility has contributed to the fall of his managerial stock, and might also give an impression that it is lower than what is actually the case. I don't for a second think the Newcastle job was the most prestigious he was offered, just the best one within his range.

Good family man, Rafa. YNWA

There's only an extra fifty miles distance between the Wirral and Newcastle and the Wirral and London, and the rail and road routes to London are a lot more direct. Don't think distance from his family is going to be a significant factor in whatever decision he chooses to make in this particular scenario.

Maybe not, but 50 miles adds one hour via car (without accounting for London traffic) each way, so that's potentially two hours less family time each day. Might not be a deal breaker, but not necessarily insignificant.

1 hour ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Maybe not, but 50 miles adds one hour via car (without accounting for London traffic) each way, so that's potentially two hours less family time each day. Might not be a deal breaker, but not necessarily insignificant.

Half an hour actually, per google. As I say, the route is a lot less direct from Newcastle coz you have to get through the Pennines.

Anyway, we'll see.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, ljkeane said:

It's true Abramovich is almost certainly a criminal. City's owners are worse though to be fair.

No one said City's owners were paragons of virtue, did they?

4 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Hmm I did not know that. Could definitely see City going for him again in January then. 

I think that CL clubs can add a single player that's cup tied to EL to their knockout stages squad or something like that.

Italy didn't help themselves with the 4-2-4 (honestly, two midfielders against Spain!) but the Spaniards looked pretty unstoppable. Didn't even play Thiago, who would be one of their best two players if selected.

West Ham owners/chairmen have been undermining Bilic almost from the start. Now it looks like the club's 'failed bid' for Carvalho was pure fiction, and Gold and Co never intended to bring him in despite what they were telling Bilic.  What a shambles.  If I were Bilic I would walk.  The West Ham Board should be sacked. Or I should start supporting another club. 

Archived